Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,583   Posts: 188,376   Members: 6,554   Active Members: 308
Welcome to our newest member, TuyetBooth.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In which I once again lament the retirement of the Night Flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In which I once again lament the retirement of the Night Flight

I got a new job a couple of months ago, and I go to work each day with no laptop or other electronics - just a book, my lunch, and some smaller odds and ends. I'm struggling to find an appropriate bag to carry this stuff. Currently I'm using a small shop bag, which is pretty good - but I wish it would stand open on its own, and I wish it had at least one zipper pocket. I might try a SSB in ballistic (mine is halcyon), or I might try a Pop Tote, but the NF would be ideal.

The PickUp Truck (also disco'd) and Pop Tote would be my first choices if I wanted the bag to stand up on it's own for that type of carry.
    Also, if you didn't catch the update, the Yeomans will be a pre-order at some in the next few months, when they get an open production spot...and will be offered in all the Corduras that were offered recently, as well as the 1050 ballistics - the mini is an awfully cute little bag if you want more of a duffel aspect ratio.

I would like a NFTD back too, but sounds like the design won't be revived due to the special foam, hence why many of us are campaigning for an updated/Design Lab version - to get a baby Aeronaut... there's at least one whole thread about it
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Have you considered a Makers Bag? It's one of my favorite EDC options and super versatile, IMO.

I have a couple Pop Totes too but they're a little too bucket-like (and hard to see inside with the darker colors) for me to use as an EDC. Plus the straps aren't the best for heavier loads or longer carry periods.
      Last edited by Surrealle; 06-05-2021, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Surrealle Is the Maker's bag sif enough to stand on it's own? It looks a bit floppy in pictures...

Comment

It depends somewhat on how you load it (like most any bag, really) but generally yes, it will easily stand on its own. I'd recommend getting the ballistic version rather than the halcyon for added stability. I also like to add a Freudian Slip for a bit more structure, but it's not vital.

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
            The PickUp Truck (also disco'd) and Pop Tote would be my first choices if I wanted the bag to stand up on it's own for that type of carry.
            Also, if you didn't catch the update, the Yeomans will be a pre-order at some in the next few months, when they get an open production spot...and will be offered in all the Corduras that were offered recently, as well as the 1050 ballistics - the mini is an awfully cute little bag if you want more of a duffel aspect ratio.

I would like a NFTD back too, but sounds like the design won't be revived due to the special foam, hence why many of us are campaigning for an updated/Design Lab version - to get a baby Aeronaut... there's at least one whole thread about it
            The Yeoman in the smaller sizes are already pretty much baby Aeronaut, except they lack the possibility of being carried with backpack straps, which would be a great addition.

The last trip we made, to see The Crew and Seattle friends, I switched from the Aeronaute to the Yeoman for my lovely hubby whose lets throw stuff in, packing style for casual dress trips, suit me and the Yeoman much better.

I don't have a Mini Yeoman but I will definitely put it on my list, if it gets backpack straps as a Mini Aeronaute.

Comment

Originally posted by backpack View Post

The Yeoman in the smaller sizes are already pretty much baby Aeronaut, except they lack the possibility of being carried with backpack straps, which would be a great addition.

The last trip we made, to see The Crew and Seattle friends, I switched from the Aeronaute to the Yeoman for my lovely hubby whose lets throw stuff in, packing style for casual dress trips, suit me and the Yeoman much better.

I don't have a Mini Yeoman but I will definitely put it on my list, if it gets backpack straps as a Mini Aeronaute.
              I like the end pockets in the NFTD, so a baby Aeronaut would need those in addition to a sling or backpacks straps for me
              I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

The Maker's Bag lacks a crucial thing: enough front-to-back depth for a tupperware to sit flat on the bottom to avoid spillage.

I'll only be carrying it from house to car and from car to office, so it doesn't need super-comfortable handles or backpack straps.

The Pickup Truck looks promising, if I can find one. I'll also have a look at the mini Yeoman.
                Last edited by cujo; 06-06-2021, 06:40 AM.

Comment

I think a Small Shop Bag will work, zippered or original.

Comment

Small shop bag is what I'm using currently. I wish it would stand up on its own (maybe the ballistic version does?), but otherwise it's probably sufficient. It's definitely just the right size.

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post

I like the end pockets in the NFTD, so a baby Aeronaut would need those in addition to a sling or backpacks straps for me
                      Adding two Cubelets on the side of the Mini Yeoman and you have a makeshift baby Aeronaut.

Comment

Working...
                      X