Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Western Flyer as an EDC: Too big or just right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western Flyer as an EDC: Too big or just right?

I am currently trying to decide on my first shoulder bag from TB. I have always carried a backpack but have gotten tired of constantly taking it off to retrieve items. My EDC backpacks have always hovered around 28L-34L. I am leaning towards the Pilot but really like the size of the WF. Is the WF too big? Please help me with whatever knowledge you can share.

Originally posted by MTeric22 View Post
    I am currently trying to decide on my first shoulder bag from TB. I have always carried a backpack but have gotten tired of constantly taking it off to retrieve items. My EDC backpacks have always hovered around 28L-34L. I am leaning towards the Pilot but really like the size of the WF. Is the WF too big? Please help me with whatever knowledge you can share.
    Hey - the bottom pictures I posted in this thread may help as I think it depends on what you typically carry.

The pic show a variety of items in the WF, a comparo of size with the Pilot, and a Wildkin soft-side lunch box (which is big! I can carry 7 sandwiches in it) that fits perfectly into one of the WF's compartments ... so, for example, if you needed to carry a lunch, some shoes & clothes (for the gym or warmth or weather), a laptop, some other things, then the WF would probably be better. If it's fewer things and a smaller lunch, then the PIlot would be good.
    Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

I typically carry warm/rain gear for my job. Montana weather changes quick. 24oz water bottle, a few different pouches with misc items, first aid kit, etc. I am thinking the larger size(WF) might be the better choice. Shoot. Maybe get both so I have options. That’s why I love pouches. Easier to switch bags. Thank you for the pictures. It really does help.

Comment

I don't think it would be too big but just be aware it does have more of a suitcase aesthetic. If you're okay with that, I say go for it. It's a great bag!

Comment

MTeric22 You can also take a look at the 09-14-2019 thread by darknova306 Western Flyer: my perfect EDC briefcase and primary for two bag travel

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...two-bag-travel

This has some more pictures of the Horizontal Freudian Slip (now called the Freudian Slip for TriStar/Western Flyer/Empire Builder) used for organization.

I’ll just note that most people who use the Western Flyer for briefcase purposes are also using this as a travel bag. Just my guess that you might find the Empire Builder slightly better.If you had access to the older large messenger bags that were retired in 2015, I’d probably point you to the Ego (See, for example, Benefits of an Ego vs S25 10-22-2015 by @JeffA
          https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...an-ego-vs-s25/
          and look at some of the photos by tpnl about accessing items both in the front pockets (under the flap) as well as the back main pocket which opens directly with a zipper (like the Pilot). There are separate water bottle pocket(s) on the side, and you could also put your clipboard in that pocket in that pocket under the front flap, or else insert a Large Cafe Bag Freudian Slip there for other organization (see tpnl’s post from A Brief case for the new Freudian Slips)

moriond

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Just to complicate things ... If I remember correctly, the small size of the forthcoming Trinity will be about 22L. I don't know many details, but it will have a laptop compartment and removable backpack straps, so it's likely to be a better EDC carry than the WF.

Comment

I've been EDCing my WF for years now. Between packed lunches, Florida rain gear, and an occasional overnight trip, it's nice to have the space. It isn't some laborious PITA to haul it around empty like it is a hardside case.

Though I do like new things, so I would wait for the Trinity if I wasn't in a rush.

Comment

My EDC is the small Café so I have nothing to offer here.

Comment

Working...
                  X