Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,495   Posts: 187,453   Members: 6,455   Active Members: 326
Welcome to our newest member, Francis.dingo.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New! Padded Hip Belt Pocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New! Padded Hip Belt Pocket

Click image for larger version

Name:	padded-hip-belt-pocket-3.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	482.8 KB
ID:	333190

Name:	padded-hip-belt-pocket-1.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	400.6 KB
ID:	333191
    We present for your considerable the humble but useful Padded Hip Belt Pocket. When we introduced the Le Grand Derriere (LGD), some folks who planned to wear it as a hip/waist/lumbar/fanny pack for hiking asked if we’d someday offer an optional external water bottle pocket for the pack. We rather stubbornly said no at first, then we wondered why we were being so stubborn. Not being able to come up with a rational explanation for our stubbornness and realizing those folks were offering up a great suggestion (special shout-out to Jennifer M!) Nik decided to make a sample of such a pocket.

We tested it on hikes and it was pretty great: stowing the water bottle in the Padded Hip Belt Pocket freed up a lot of space in the main compartment of the LGD. We even used the Padded Hip Belt Pocket on occasion to carry other objects to which we wanted quick access: dog treats, monocular, GPS, Reese’s, etc.

More photos + details here: https://www.tombihn.com/products/hip-belt-pocket
    In-stock and available for order 6/23 at 7:00am PT; can be added to existing pre-orders.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

I AM SO HAPPY ABOUT THIS!!!!!

Yes I'm shouting.

I AM SO HAPPY ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!

Comment

Will this work with padded hip belts or even with regular waist straps in other TB backpacks?
      Edit: Yes, it’s in the description. Answering my own question.

Edit2- It looks like this (with a heavy water bottle in it) may slip out and fall if the hip belt is unbuckled carelessly. I guess this will happen more when used with a backpack.
      Last edited by gadgets; 06-20-2021, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
        We tested it on hikes and it was pretty great: stowing the water bottle in the Padded Hip Belt Pocket freed up a lot of space in the main compartment of the LGD. We even used the Padded Hip Belt Pocket on occasion to carry other objects to which we wanted quick access: dog treats, monocular, GPS, Reese’s, etc.
        Darcy This is fantastic! and ... since no good deed goes unpunished...

Would there be a way to add a simple horizontal velcro strap to the back so it could be attached to the chest strap guides on backpack shoulder straps??

Name:	ShoulderStrapPocket.png
Views:	285
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	333289

That way, you could be wearing a backpack and have a pocket right on your shoulder - or BOTH SHOULDERS! - for cell phone or snacks or water bottle or whatever ... I can't tell you how awesome that would be. And of course that would be in addition to if you choose to wear a waist strap, where you could have others ...

The ability to be hiking urban or woods and simply reach to your shoulder for your stuff would be a game changer!
        Last edited by GrussGott; 06-20-2021, 03:31 PM.
        Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

Is it possible, to use the new padded hip belt pocket, with the Cafe Bags hip belts?

Comment

Working...
          X