Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,495   Posts: 187,453   Members: 6,455   Active Members: 326
Welcome to our newest member, Francis.dingo.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synik 30 & RC DWR zippers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moriond
    replied
    This thread by Darcy reminded me of an earlier forum discussion (from 05-11-2015) regarding YKK Aquaguard zippers used in bags before changing to sewing these “right side up”. The thread titled Frustrating issue with zipper material
    https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...ipper-material

contains a post by tpnl on 05-19-2015 demonstrating how using a 50% solution of Aerospace 303 diluted with 50% water (suggestions by Miking and @ceb) could be used to restore the cosmetic appearance of old zippers. Photos showed the application of the material to the zipper of his Cadet.

HTH

moriond

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by Surrealle View Post
    Super happy about this! One of the reasons I returned my Aeronaut was because it was so hard to open and close.

Edit: Darcy can we send in our bags with the aquaguard and pay to have the zippers swapped with the new ones, sort of like getting a zipper repaired? (I particularly dislike the aquaguard zippers on the EDC because it's so small that it makes it hard to open--there's nothing to get a grip on).
    I missed this! Just revisited this thread to grab what I wrote so I could plop it into a blog post.

I'm afraid not. The thing is, replacing all of the zippers is a heck of a lot of work: it's almost getting close to making a whole new bag. One idea (you've prob already thought of this but I wanted to offer it nonetheless!) would be to swap (or sell on sites that allow that like eBay, craigslist, or the Facebook group) your bag w/the Aquaguard zips. There's some folks who prefer bags w/Aquaguard, just like there's folks (like you!) who prefer bags with the new RC. Hope that helps a little bit.

Leave a comment:

• Surrealle
    replied
    Super happy about this! One of the reasons I returned my Aeronaut was because it was so hard to open and close.

Edit: Darcy can we send in our bags with the aquaguard and pay to have the zippers swapped with the new ones, sort of like getting a zipper repaired? (I particularly dislike the aquaguard zippers on the EDC because it's so small that it makes it hard to open--there's nothing to get a grip on).
    Last edited by Surrealle; 06-20-2021, 08:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    started a topic Synik 30 & RC DWR zippers

Synik 30 & RC DWR zippers

Recently, we’ve been using more YKK Water Repellent Racquet Coil zippers instead of our usual YKK Aquaguard zippers. Most notably, the RC DWR (racquet coil with durable water repellent) zippers have appeared on the Shadow Guide, LGD, Design Lab Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. Our upcoming Techonaut will debut with the same RC DWR zippers.

As part of the 6/23 restock, the Synik 30 will be available (in some color combinations) for the first time with RC DWR zippers. On the Synik 30 page, scroll down to the materials section, and you’ll see a list of which colors have Aquaguard and which have RC. As the Synik 22, Synapse 19, Synapse 25 and other bags become available in RC DWR, those pages will also be updated with such lists. We think the majority of folks will be happy with either the DWR RC *or* the Aquaguard (they’re both great, high quality zippers) so these lists are just for those of us who may have a preference for one or the other.

So, what’s the reason behind the transition? Aquaguard® zippers require a little bit of an extra tug to open and close due to the thickness added to the zipper tape by the urethane coating that makes them so darn water repellent — and some folks aren’t fans of that. We’ve been testing and using DWR RC zippers for the last couple of years, and, in our own tests, we found that the water repellency of the Racquet Coil zipper treated with DWR to be on par with that of the standard coil Aquaguard® zippers. And they don’t require that little bit of an extra tug to open and close: they zip open and shut quite smoothly, in fact. Bonus points: though our Aquaguard zippers are quite durable, RC zippers are reputed to be even more so.

After using and testing the DWR RC zippers for some time now, we’re confirmed fans, and most bags will transition to using the DWR RCs over the next year with one exception: the main compartment zipper of of the Synik will remain #10 YKK Aquaguard. That’s the only bag we made samples of that worked best with Aquaguard: because that main compartment is a full clamshell opening, that slight resistance provided by the Aquaguard urethane coating helps prevent it from zipping itself all the way open.

We’ve updated our Materials Glossary entry on zippers with more information, if you want to dig even deeper:
    https://www.tombihn.com/pages/materials#zippers
Working...
X