Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,492   Posts: 187,434   Members: 6,453   Active Members: 336
Welcome to our newest member, parisbandarq.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yeomans now part of 6/23 restock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeomans now part of 6/23 restock

Yeoman Update

I have some news that might be good news for some folks and not-so-good news for other folks.

Everyone seems quite excited for the upcoming Yeoman Duffels. We kinda thought that’d be the case, so, when we ordered a production run of Yeomans for photo samples, we decided to order a good quantity of each size and color to give ourselves a head start. That first production run is pretty much done, as in, the bags have been sewn and are in the warehouse waiting to go to their new homes.

Now, in the meantime, we’ve been strategizing regarding our production schedule, and how we’re going to open up capacity to make the Techonaut 30 and Techonaut 45, Small Adult Backpack #1, Small Adult Backpack #2 and various other new designs, fabrics, and colors that we’re excited to offer. We’re also of course sewing all of the 5/6 pre-order bags (they’re on track to ship late July, if not a tiny bit sooner!)

What we began seeing was that we had a good quantity of Yeomans already made and there wouldn’t be room in the production schedule to open up a pre-order until late Fall or thereabouts — so they’d be sitting on the shelves, rather lonely, never offered until well after the upcoming road trip season. That seemed sad and also problematic: with our production capacity limited, it’s important to us to put what we’ve made up on the website and let folks order it. Plus, there’s been some chats here about the systems and logistics related to pre-order, and how it’d sure be great for workflow and sanity if we were able to ship all pre-order bags before opening another pre-order.

So here’s what I’m getting to: the Yeoman Duffels were originally intended to be offered as a pre-order. In an effort to offer up what we’ve made and make a lot of folks happy since they’d be able to get Yeoman sooner rather than later, we’d like to offer them as part of the upcoming June 23rd restock. As I mentioned above, we made a lot of Yeomans, but it is possible some colors will sell out, and some people will miss out, at least this time around. If that happens, we’ll offer Yeomans in these same colors and fabrics again, so it won’t be the only chance to order them.

Here's a link to the updated 6/23 restock page, which now includes Yeomans and the Padded Hip Belt Pocket:
    https://www.tombihn.com/collections/restock

Click image for larger version

Name:	flying-yeoman.jpg
Views:	1191
Size:	816.1 KB
ID:	333194
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

I take it from the photo that the canary Yeoman duffel is able to float in mid-air? That's handy for packing and travel.

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to seeing new stuff.
    ---
    My Bags: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe BagSide Kick Co-Pilot Aeronaut 30
    Canary Large Shop Bag Dawn Large Shop BagAubergine Everyday Cubelet
    With: Island Packing CubesTravel Tray Cubelet Dawn Wallet

Comment

Originally posted by Cooner View Post
      I take it from the photo that the canary Yeoman duffel is able to float in mid-air? That's handy for packing and travel.

hehe! Just wait until you see Yeoman Jenga:

Name:	yeoman-jenga.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	333202

Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

That would have been a good April Fool's post...new levitating bag from Tom Bihn...never worry about airline weight restrictions again!
        Everyday carry (2 mile walk to work) is an SG23. Fantastic bag.

Comment

I assumed it was because a Canary is a bird and can fly
          I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Darcy I completely understand the logistics of Lean Manufacturing. At West Paw here in Bozeman, that’s how we operate. From one B Corp to another, thank you for the extra planning it takes to operate that way.

Comment

Darcy Thanks for the heads-up. Are all the sizes going to be available in all 1050d ballistic colors or is it only the Cordura colors?

Comment

I'm assuming these will only ever be offered in 1050d ballistic or the 1000 Cordura? I would love Yeomans in Constellation and Ursa. If there's a chance of that in the future, I will probably only buy 1 this round (I have a specific use right now) and then get others in the next restock. Otherwise, I might get a 2-3 more in the hope that we resume traveling more before the next restock.

Comment

Excited to pick up a small yeoman (probably in mayura after seeing these pictures)! Do folks use the Absolute Strap even with the small and mini sizes? Wondering if they may look proportionally too big, but I do plan on using it as a carry-on travel bag. Haven't seen many pictures with straps on so thought I'd ask here.

Comment

Originally posted by hellomatt View Post
                    Excited to pick up a small yeoman (probably in mayura after seeing these pictures)! Do folks use the Absolute Strap even with the small and mini sizes? Wondering if they may look proportionally too big, but I do plan on using it as a carry-on travel bag. Haven't seen many pictures with straps on so thought I'd ask here.
                    My wife uses an absolute strap with her mini. It is definitely overkill, but it doesn't look ridiculous. The small should definitely look fine. Keep in mind that the "small" YD is 28 liters, so nearly the same size as an A30.

Comment

Originally posted by epeterson View Post

That would have been a good April Fool's post...new levitating bag from Tom Bihn...never worry about airline weight restrictions again!
                      No worries about airline weight restrictions? Because you can fly on your TB bag direct to destination in a socially distanced manner. Perfect timing for the this new design.

Do folks use the Absolute Strap even with the small and mini sizes?
                      Could always get a OpTech Mini SOS strap, about half the width of the TB absolute strap and the Mini SOS is the sibling to the strap that is rebranded as the TB Absolute strap.

Comment

Welcome to the Forums!!
                        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by organicfarmer View Post

Could always get a OpTech Mini SOS strap, about half the width of the TB absolute strap and the Mini SOS is the sibling to the strap that is rebranded as the TB Absolute strap.
                          I didn't know that about the OpTech. I have one of their straps already for lugging a large medium-format camera! I'll take a look into the Mini SOS for sure.

Originally posted by G42 View Post

Welcome to the Forums!!
                          Thank you! Been a long-time fan but only recently made a bag purchase. Got my Synik the other day and will absolutely be buying more bags (I've got a list ready for next week's restock).
                          Last edited by hellomatt; 06-17-2021, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by organicfarmer View Post

As far as I know, the Absolute Strap was the result of work that Op-Tech did with The Tom BIHN folks to develop a strap to their specifications. (I have different variations from when they were first working out the design from over 15 years ago). Op-Tech did later sell this version, but it wasn’t a case of Tom BIHN rebranding an existing Op-Tech strap in whose development they played no driving part.

I didn't know that about the OpTech. I have one of their straps already for lugging a large medium-format camera! I'll take a look into the Mini SOS for sure.
                            I’m posting a picture that shows the Op-Tech SOS Mini Strap next to the Absolute Strap. It’s from this post where I describe how to hack a Field Journal Notebook so that it can be used with a different strap of the user’s choice, Since people who don’t have logins won’t be able to read the link, I’m separately posting the picture here.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	4C21256D-9503-4FEC-91C2-5EAFAE6984C8.png Views:	0 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	333243
                            The FJN shoulder strap connector points have been hacked with triangle clips to allow the attachment of other shoulder straps. I’ve attached an Op-Tech Mini SOS Strap to it, but show part of the larger Absolute strap to the right for comparison. People were adding watercolors and heavier artist supplies to the Field Journal Notebook and asking for a way to carry the heavier load by using another strap. (Earlier strap is like the one currently used for the Side Kick)

HTH

moriond

Comment

Name:	BBEF65DC-F23E-468B-92ED-5F679A53E6E4.jpeg
Views:	631
Size:	562.8 KB
ID:	333245

Hope I'm not stepping on too many toes by saying this but I've used the Absolute and Mini strap and while they're perfectly good, I actually find that I like this one a lot better.

It's very comfortable, a bit stretchier, and it has ventilation so it doesn't get as hot. It's also about 10-15 dollars cheaper if I recall correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              X