Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,411   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, Arlene31H3.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would TB ever do a line of packable bags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would TB ever do a line of packable bags?

Hello!

So Waterfield Designs* is currently unveiling a new line of packable bags. They have a packable backpack, a packable tote, and a packable duffle, with a 4th yet to be revealed style of packable bag coming this week or next. I'm wondering if TB has ever thought about doing something similar?

Now, I'm aware TB makes a number of bags which could be considered packable, and there are also additional "packable" strategies such as putting a shop bag in a stuff sack, etc. in order to have that handy extra bag if you need it. However, what I like about the Waterfield line is that they are all designed to be packed into themselves and zipped up neatly, and this is something I would love for TB to do with a few of their bags. Off the top of my head things like the Shop Bag, Daylight backpack, or Packing Cube Shoulder Bag all seem like good candidates to have an extra zip-able compartment they could pack themselves into.

I actually have a very thin packable backpack that stuffs down into about the size of a mini soda can, but the loyalist in me would prefer to buy a TB version of something similar.

(*As an aside, a number of years ago before I discovered TB I would lust over Waterfield's bags, and they have an excellent reputation. Similar to TB they are US-made and use extremely high quality materials and construction. They're kind of the "leather-focused hipster" counterpart to TB's more utilitarian style. And I do in fact own one of their Crossbody bags and can confirm they are of impeccable quality, though not quite to my taste style-wise.

However, after discovering TB and their history and digging more into their many bag designs from over the decades, it seems quite clear that Waterfield gets heavily *ahem* inspired by numerous TB designs. Yes, I am not-very-casually calling Waterfield copy cats! I don't have any specific examples to point to off the top of my head, but if you peruse their catalog I'm sure you'll see what I mean. Like I said they seem like a great company and they make great quality stuff, it's just… eh, that's kind of a turnoff to me. I guess it speaks to the great care and thought process that goes into TB designing their bags that they would inspire others in such a way. Anyway, thanks for letting me get that off my chest, I feel better )

Originally posted by Boardumb View Post
    I'm wondering if TB has ever thought about doing something similar?

like the Shop Bag, Daylight backpack, or Packing Cube Shoulder Bag all seem like good candidates
    Hmmm ... well, personally, I used my DLBP & PCSB as packing cubes so in that sense they're already "packable"...

Example: Pre-covid I'd at least monthly travel with:

• A DLBP as my main packing cube for my WF
    • Two PCSBs as packing cubes for a travel kit (back of seat bag) and media kit / office stuff
    • A Halcyon Pilot empty at the bottom of an S25 to use as my briefcase once I arrived

And occasionally I put the WF into an A45 if I need even more space but might want the WF for city travel or a larger briefcase on-site

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=332531.png
Views:	550
Size:	818.4 KB
ID:	333381

So, for me, as it is, lots of the TB bags are "packable", though maybe I've never ran across and/or don't understand the use-case for packable bags ...

When do you use packable bags most and/or what are your top use-cases?

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

When do you use packable bags most and/or what are your top use-cases?
      I have a packable tote/backpack from Patagonia that was especially useful when traveling with one bag. It acted as a daybag and as an extra carry-on when I brought home more stuff. I think as GrussGott said, TB has a number of "packing cube" products that function in the same way.

The Waterfield bag is interesting. The biggest downside of packable bags to me is their lack of structure and their new line seems to primarily have been made to address that. Their aesthetic never appealed to me, however.

Comment

LL Bean also has packable bags. I tried the L. L. Bean packable backpack; I like the organization and it was comfortable but the mesh water bottle pockets quickly ripped. Luckily I was able to get a refund. Now I use a PCSB or a SSB as packable bag. A mini Yeoman would also work as a packable bag.

Comment

Agree with Matt above that I've never loved the aesthetic of most packable bags out there. With that said, I have a couple of duffles - from Eddie Bauer and from REI - that fold into their own pocket. I got one for my son to use at camp, and one as an overflow bag if/when we go on another long trip (for souvenirs, etc.) That is to say - if I'm checking a bag or giving it to someone who might lose it - I don't want to give them my precious TB bags!

I have seen various lightweight packable daypacks and they look flimsy and uncomfortable to me. Instead, I've taken one of these three bags along as my daypack: either the Daylight Backpack, the Packing Cube Backpack, or the Luminary 12. The Luminary 12 is the *least* packable of those three options (because it doesn't pack completely flat), but it's actually my favorite. The edgeless straps are very comfortable, and the size is perfect for me - not so big that I overstuff it, but enough to carry my essentials and a little bit extra.

Another TB bag I take along on trips is a Large Shop Bag. Very collapsible but the padded handles make grocery shopping (or beach gear schlepping) much, much nicer.

A Maker's Bag in Halcyon is also a nice option, if you want a cross-body option on a long trip.

In general it seems to me that the whole fold-into-an-attached-pocket concept is on the opposite end of the tradeoff spectrum from carrying comfort and structured organization. And those are two of the things I like most about TB bags. YMMV.

Comment

I pack a Longchamp Le Pliage bag, the large travel size, for use as extra luggage on the way home when I do a bit of shopping. Although it doesn't fold into a pocket, it is designed to fold and has a snap fastener to keep it folded. It really takes up little space and it's made of quite strong material.
            A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Comment

For the shop bag, they can already be packed up, Folding the Tom Bihn Shop Bag. This is how I keep my bag stored in my Pilot until I need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan SCE View Post
                For the shop bag, they can already be packed up, Folding the Tom Bihn Shop Bag. This is how I keep my bag stored in my Pilot until I need it.
                I'm guessing zip-top shop bags could be folded like this too?
                A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Comment

Originally posted by Denises View Post

I'm guessing zip-top shop bags could be folded like this too?
                  I think the Original Shop Bags are better for that, because bending the zipper might somewhat make it easier to break.

Comment

Originally posted by backpack View Post

I think the Original Shop Bags are better for that, because bending the zipper might somewhat make it easier to break.
                    Plus I think the pockets are different, so I'm not sure it's possible to fold them into one?

Comment

Working...
                    X