Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,580   Posts: 188,308   Members: 6,539   Active Members: 284
Welcome to our newest member, QQYFodil79.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Labels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Labels

I recently have been seeing black labels on the black Synapses in the store. Is this something new? I can see how some might prefer this while traveling but Is there a way to request the old colorful label?

Yeah, the blackout labels with black bags rolled out a few months ago, I think in response to the all black Design Lab labels. Darcy has mentioned that the blackout labels seem to be quite popular and they don't see not using them on black bags for the forseeable future. Because of production capacity and effeciency, they won't be able to mix-and-match labels with customer requests. I'm in the "please don't stop making the blackout label" camp, but if you like the old labels with black bags, you may want to let TB know directly (they really do keep track of customer requests!). Also, ask them if they have any in stock black bags that were made before the blackout label changeover.
    Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

EDC: Side Kick, Everday Cubelet, DL PCSB (planner pouch); Travel: Smart Alec + Side Kick, Small Yeoman Duffel

Comment

I like the red/color labels and I’m in the opposite camp. I like that tiny splash of color and this is coming from a person that predominantly orders black Bihns.

Comment

Originally posted by socialworktech View Post
        I like the red/color labels and I’m in the opposite camp. I like that tiny splash of color and this is coming from a person that predominantly orders black Bihns.
        I love the blackout labels for stealth (especially for off-the-path urban Europe travel) ... though to your point if I decide to do a 1050d black set I think I'll swap in some red zipper pulls for mainstream areas just for that pop of color fun.

With that, I do like that I could always switch back to black pulls for stealth.

Comment

Hi LMT66

Just a few more details on your "Is this something new?" question about the Black Labels.
          Originally posted by LMT66 View Post
          I recently have been seeing black labels on the black Synapses in the store. Is this something new? I can see how some might prefer this while traveling but Is there a way to request the old colorful label?
          Specifically, the black on black label first appeared in the 12/2/2019 product debut for the Icon, a messenger bag intermediate in size between the Small and Medium Cafe Bag, but with zippers and no flap. The zippers were colored (an innovation that was shared with the Color Zipper Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch variation on GWOPs that was introduced at the same debut), but one of the color options was an Icon in Black 525d Ballistic Nylon, with Black zippers, for which the Tom Bihn folks decided to add an all-black label.

In the forum discussion thread 12/2 debut: news + stock + more you'll see a range of reactions to both the bag design and the label:
          https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...ews-stock-more

A number of users took to calling this the "stealth Icon", and you'll find comments from people who really liked that label combination. (As an aside, there are several ways to find these comments, but one way to pull up some reactions is to use the URL address of that thread that I gave, then type "stealth" (without the quote marks) into the search box at the top of the thread, before the page control options, and then do a carriage return)

Originally posted by Aeon View Post
          Yeah, the blackout labels with black bags rolled out a few months ago, I think in response to the all black Design Lab labels. Darcy has mentioned that the blackout labels seem to be quite popular and they don't see not using them on black bags for the forseeable future. Because of production capacity and effeciency, they won't be able to mix-and-match labels with customer requests. I'm in the "please don't stop making the blackout label" camp, but if you like the old labels with black bags, you may want to let TB know directly (they really do keep track of customer requests!). Also, ask them if they have any in stock black bags that were made before the blackout label changeover.
          You might notice that the current stock of Icons in Black all have Black on Black labels. But if you look at the review of the (Black with Island zipper) Icon that bartleby posted, December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2) you'll see that his Icon does not have an all-black label. Similarly, the picture of the Icon that @bchaplin posted (Black with rainbow zippers), did not have the all black label

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...on-hlt-1-and-2

The concept of the Design Lab emerged during the forum discussions going on during the Covid-19 lockdown period, when the Tom Bihn folks were fully committed to mask production. Forum members continued to discuss products, and there was also a move, led by Perseffect, to continue to support Tom Bihn during this period by buying stock that was already on hand, or else to buy gift certificates (for future items) in an attempt to help keep the company going while they could not produce new bags.
          See: Call to Action - Go and buy something from the TB website

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...the-tb-website

Among the other activities going on during that period, the Tom Bihn Facebook Group members hosted a zoom session where Tom talked about designs that he had in the planning stages.

I'm going to point people to my post in the Production Update Hype thread from 11-09-2020, where people started discussing the Paragon (still referred to as the Insigne in that post), and other designs, because I quoted one of @Darcy's posts referencing the YouTube recording of that Zoom session.

Here's where Tom starts talking about the new pack in the FB group Zoom.

That link still works (since YouTube addresses didn't change with the forum re-index). Apologies that it starts with the discussion of the Paragon (then referred to as Insigne) well into the video. (Just adding this in case any forum members want to view the whole session).

The upshot of that whole period is that some of the new designs were released as "Design Lab" products --more experimental in nature and possibly trying new materials/designs that wouldn't be permanently adopted. The current black on black label used bears the Design Lab logo for all bags in the black on black.

OK, I guess this is TMI (=too much information)

moriond

Comment

Working...
          X