The Techonaut / Technonaut Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Techonaut / Technonaut Thread!

I thought I'd create a summary Technonaut thread to summarize what we've heard about this super exciting upcoming debut!​ And, since I'm not on FB for ethical reasons, super appreciated for anyone who can post any info over there, here. Thanks!

A short summary of the rumors about this potential upcoming debut!
    1. What is the Technonaut?
      • Per moriond here:
        • "the Tom BIHN folks are about to add a new bag, the Technonaut, to the product line. This is primarily a travel bag (like the Aeronaut 30 and Aeronaut 45, but with a built in compartment for laptop."
    2. What might the Technonaut look like?
      • Per Buffalonian here:
        • "Nik's refinement of the Aeronauts. Changes include the addition of a laptop compartment, and a change to the front panel so it unzips like the Hero's Journey. (In essence, the opening is turned 90 degrees from the opening on the Aeronaut.)"
    3. What features might the Technonaut have?
      • Per Tom Bihn on FB here:
        • "[The back panel of the shadow guide will] be part of the design of the upcoming Technonaut. Picture an Aeronaut with a Hero's Journey style opening, a dedicated (yet not bulky or heavy) laptop compartment, breathable back panel, Edgeless Straps."
      • Per Darcy on June 15th, 2021 here:
        • "... we thought we'd let folks see the Techonaut before making more Aeronauts so they can choose between the two designs, since the Techonaut incorporates several features that folks have been asking us to add to the Aeronaut. Plus, that frees up some room in the production schedule to make a full first production run of the Techonaut. I expect Aeronauts will return to In Production after the Technonaut debuts. The Technonaut does have Edgeless Shoulder Straps. It'll be available in 30 and 45 liters. And there's some other features I can't wait to share with all of you! Hoping to post some photos / notes from the PPB (pre-production batch) process within the next few weeks."
    4. When might we be able to Technonaut?
      • Per Darcy on May 20th, 2021 here & here:
        • "estimated to be within the next few months or so ... The design has been completed, but now it's currently in the PPB (pre-production batch) process"
      • Per Darcy on June 7th, 2021 here:
        • "Here's a (very much a draft) [blog post] excerpt: ... the Technonaut will definitely be debuting first [before the Trinity]. I don't want to put an estimated pre-order date out there just yet, but the design is pretty much done."
      • Per Darcy on June 15th, 2021 here:
        • "... it's so close to being debutable ..."
    5. What materials will the Technonaut be available in?
      • 525d, likely 400 Halcyon, & maybe/likely 1050d?
      • Per Darcy on June 16th, 2021 here:
        • "we need to sew a Techonaut sample in 1050d first. It's a burlier (and more difficult to sew!) fabric than the 525d. For example, it'd be nearly impossible for any mere mortal to sew a Synapse or Synik out of 1050d. Definitely depends on the design, though."

Apologies, after writing this up, I realized I missed jobeyonekenobi's thread due to a spelling mistake: "Tech-o-naut" vs "Tech-no-naut"! So we'll need Darcy to make a ruling: is it "Techonaut" or "Technonaut"?
    Last edited by GrussGott; 06-27-2021, 06:43 PM.
    Seeking Verde Aeronauts

I hope it's Techonaut, it's easier to say/less of a mouthful.

And I, too, quit FB for reasons. (There are dozens of us, dozens!)

Comment

Originally posted by Surrealle View Post
      There’s so much more activity and more current updates on the TB Facebook group so I ended up creating an account that I only use to read that group. The interface is a pain though. I miss the tapatalk days.

Thanks for gathering info in one spot for the Technonaut! I’m considering a Aeronaut and a Tri-Star but I want to see what comes of this first.

Comment

Thanks from another not so regular Facebook user.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrealle View Post
          Me too - deleted my Facebook account late last year. Thanks GrussGott for the summary!

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomepants View Post
            There’s so much more activity and more current updates on the TB Facebook group so I ended up creating an account that I only use to read that group.
            Aww, is that why the forum seems quieter than it used to be? That’s unfortunate.

Comment

Thank you, GrussGott! Deleted FB years ago.

Comment

GrussGott - Also thanks, I have never had (and won't have, on principle) a Facebook account so having someone kindly summarise here is the only chance I have to see this stuff.

While I don't object to organisations who use Facebook to interact with customers, I object most strongly to being shut out of relevant discussions simply because I won't blithely agree to let Mark Zuckerberg sell my personal data to all and sundry. Not everyone, as I've said before, either has or wants a Facebook account, and firms who assume to the contrary do everyone a massive disservice. This unfortunately includes my $employers, who have an internal "Workplace by Facebook" site to which I refuse to sign up on principle...
                A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Comment

Thanks for compiling the information for us GrussGott ! I also felt that there were fewer posts on the forum recently and more on Facebook. I’ve deleted my personal Facebook account years ago, then I made a new one last year that I use only for the TB group… But I definitely prefer the forum to the Facebook group, because here you don’t have all those Buy/Sell/Trade posts to wade through if you don’t want to.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulT00 View Post
                    I won't blithely agree to let Mark Zuckerberg sell my personal data to all and sundry.
                    +1 - if was only selling data, I wouldn't have (as much) of a problem with it - it's all the other mind-bogglingly malevolent stuff they do
                    Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

Great idea GrussGott, many thanks! I myself lost track of all spilled beans regarding the Techonaut and I am not on FB either. This debut is going to be a very exciting one as for me the Aeronaut is the TB bag and thus, any variation on the theme is going to be thrilling. I hope we'll see some pictures soon....
                      ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
                      current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Re: Facebook ~ when we post different info or news here or there, it's usually because we're responding to specific questions. What I'm thinking is that, when we end up sharing some news or details in response to a question either here or there, we collect it in a note and make sure the news has been shared in both spots. I'll post any tidbits about the Techonaut here, and everything else over in the Discussion of New Colors, New Designs thread.

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post
                        Apologies, after writing this up, I realized I missed jobeyonekenobi's thread due to a spelling mistake: "Tech-o-naut" vs "Tech-no-naut"! So we'll need Darcy to make a ruling: is it "Techonaut" or "Technonaut"?
                        Oops I quoted this so I could respond and then I forget to respond (the heat must be getting to me!) The name is: Techonaut (tech-oh-not). I can't claim it's the best or most clever name in the world, but it's the name that has stuck with us since day one. (We could call it to the Nikonaut just to tease Nik though.)

This thread is awesome: thank you GrussGott

We're collecting our Techonaut PPB notes and we'll have photos to share sometime this week or next. There's a supplier delay that's a bit of a nail biter, but that's really the only holdup at this point.
                        Last edited by Darcy; 06-28-2021, 01:33 PM.
                        Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                          Re: Facebook ~ when we post different info or news here or there, it's usually because we're responding to specific questions. What I'm thinking is that, when we end up sharing some news or details in response to a question either here or there, we collect it in a note and make sure the news has been shared in both spots. I'll post any tidbits about the Techonaut here, and everything else over in the Discussion of New Colors, New Designs thread.
                          That would be awesome (for more than a few of us, judging by other responses here).

Thank you!

Comment

GrussGott - since Darcy confirmed, I updated the name of this thread to include both versions of the word, so that it will be easier for folks to find later on

I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Oh guys.

I specifically didn’t get anything from the last drop (and some of those items seriously called out to me), so I can look forward to the Techonaut.
                              I’m in Finland currently for a few weeks and used my OG Halcyon Tristar. It’s worked beautifully, I’d like to give a different form a packing (not necessarily flat) a go though.
                              I’m looking forward to the details an pictures, I’m already thinking 400H as my material of choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X