Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,492   Posts: 187,433   Members: 6,453   Active Members: 336
Welcome to our newest member, parisbandarq.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Techonaut / Technonaut Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hellomatt View Post

Here’s what the newsletter says; a second preorder will be for a later ship date:
    Thank you! I guess I should make a decision by today. I'm leaning towards halcyon since I've never tried it before (only 525d on my Syniks). On the T45 it should be the easiest to really pack out. My only concern is that being floppier it may not distribute the weight well when used with the hipstraps without a frame sheet.

Comment

Does anyone know if there will be a black 1050d with northwest sky interior available?

Comment

Originally posted by Foxx View Post
        Does anyone know if there will be a black 1050d with northwest sky interior available?
        We can Darcy but since the first batch of pre-order is closing tomorrow, I suggest you contact customer service directly tomorrow morning (the website has live chat or through email) if the answer affects your decision on what to order and when
        Usually, based on the past couple new item pre-orders, the second pre-order batch is the same colour combos as the first, but they would have to confirm.

And to build on the earlier info folks shared... Since a pre-order means TB is cutting and sewing specific colours and quantities, when the total number of bags ordered approaches their batch limit, they close the pre-order to start that process.

​​​​​​ Since this is a new design, they immediately open a second pre-order which then has a later ship date, because until they close the second pre-order and know what they mix of requested colours is, they can't start the manufacturing process. This ensures that customers within a window of time can pick what bags and colours they want without worrying they won't get a bag.

ETA: this is also why, after all the pre-orders ship, the first general stock/restock of a new item has some, but not necessarily all, of the colour combos originally offered (and in different quantities) as folks inevitably cancel some orders, TB makes a few extra, etc.... part of the pre-order result is that TB sees what combos are the most popular and of course, the amount of fabric supply they have plays a part
        ​​​​​​
        Last edited by G42; 08-01-2021, 09:34 AM.
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I haven’t seen this posted. I found this review on Reddit. I ordered the 45 but it’s a good look.
          I've been testing the new Tom Bihn Techonaut 30 for a few days now.  After test packing and comparing it to my all time favorite bag, TB's A...

Comment

Is anyone getting a frame sheet for their T45 and/or halcyon exterior? I have 525d for both my Synik's but I was thinking for trips where I really need to pack the kitchen sink that halcyon's flexibility might be useful. But I'm worried about its lack of structure being uncomfortable when fully packed (I plan on using a padded hip belt as needed)
            I only have an S25GE in 525d, but I don't find halcyon to be much less structured than 525d (I have 3 other in halcyon, 2xS25s, 1xS30) ... maybe slightly. I can't say how this would translate to larger bags (525d vs halcyon) but I do have many larger halcyon bags and love them, i.e., don't find the lack of structure to be a problem.

Here's a few good T30 videos ... in NIGHTWALK!!

Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

Looks like Night Walk is truly as stunning as I thought it was!

Comment

No new colors will be offered in the second pre-order. Hope that helps!

Originally posted by G42 View Post

We can Darcy but since the first batch of pre-order is closing tomorrow, I suggest you contact customer service directly tomorrow morning (the website has live chat or through email) if the answer affects your decision on what to order and when
                Usually, based on the past couple new item pre-orders, the second pre-order batch is the same colour combos as the first, but they would have to confirm.

And to build on the earlier info folks shared... Since a pre-order means TB is cutting and sewing specific colours and quantities, when the total number of bags ordered approaches their batch limit, they close the pre-order to start that process.

​​​​​​ Since this is a new design, they immediately open a second pre-order which then has a later ship date, because until they close the second pre-order and know what they mix of requested colours is, they can't start the manufacturing process. This ensures that customers within a window of time can pick what bags and colours they want without worrying they won't get a bag.

ETA: this is also why, after all the pre-orders ship, the first general stock/restock of a new item has some, but not necessarily all, of the colour combos originally offered (and in different quantities) as folks inevitably cancel some orders, TB makes a few extra, etc.... part of the pre-order result is that TB sees what combos are the most popular and of course, the amount of fabric supply they have plays a part
                ​​​​​​
                Quoting this because it has so much helpful info!

Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

I'm thinking of order the T45 in Nightwalk. I have the A45 in Verde, and I love that bag. But my husband uses it all the time and refuses to buy his own, so I'm thinking of giving it to him and upgrading my own bag (he uses it as a duffel and I use it in backpack mode, so I think it makes more sense for me to have the T45). I'm a bit nervous about the halcyon fabric though, since I occasionally do end up checking the A45.

I know one of the posters on this thread said their halcyon bag has held up well through lots of travel, but does anyone have any experience with checking a halcyon bag? I can always use the A45 if I think there's a chance it might end up checked, but was curious about other's experiences if something happens and I do have to check the T45.

Comment

Originally posted by sd2102 View Post
                    I'm thinking of order the T45 in Nightwalk. I have the A45 in Verde, and I love that bag. But my husband uses it all the time and refuses to buy his own, so I'm thinking of giving it to him and upgrading my own bag (he uses it as a duffel and I use it in backpack mode, so I think it makes more sense for me to have the T45). I'm a bit nervous about the halcyon fabric though, since I occasionally do end up checking the A45.

I know one of the posters on this thread said their halcyon bag has held up well through lots of travel, but does anyone have any experience with checking a halcyon bag? I can always use the A45 if I think there's a chance it might end up checked, but was curious about other's experiences if something happens and I do have to check the T45.
                    I suspect it's always going to be a crapshoot with checked bags, of any brand/material. Most of them likely will be fine (especially for gate checking on a single flight) but you'll occasionally get one that's torn up. I have noticed that when they start checking bags on US flights, they typically go for the roller bags first and leave backpacks alone.

Personally, I wouldn't risk any bag (or item, for that matter) on air travel that I wasn't okay with losing. That said, one option you have is to pack a lightweight duffel in your bag. If you get one a touch bigger than the TN you could pop your bag into it for added protection if they do check it. (Alternatively, it could function as extra storage if you needed it, too).

Might sound excessive but that's what I'd do if I was flying, sort of like getting a phone case for a thousand dollar iPhone.
                    Last edited by Surrealle; 08-02-2021, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sd2102 View Post

I have had a halcyon A45 for many years, and used it both as carryon and checked. Never a problem. While I can see why some people prefer the most bullet-proof solution available (1050 Ballistic) if they can get it, I have no hesitancy checking my halcyon bags, nor recommending them if you prefer something lighter or for the cool colors.

Comment

Originally posted by cdgerston View Post

I have had a halcyon A45 for many years, and used it both as carryon and checked. Never a problem. While I can see why some people prefer the most bullet-proof solution available (1050 Ballistic) if they can get it, I have no hesitancy checking my halcyon bags, nor recommending them if you prefer something lighter or for the cool colors.
                        Thanks! That's reassuring. I do prefer the halcyon colors this time, and the lighter weight is definitely appealing. Now to just convince myself that I can live without having two end pockets I'm so used to packing the A45 a certain way.

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

I only have an S25GE in 525d, but I don't find halcyon to be much less structured than 525d (I have 3 other in halcyon, 2xS25s, 1xS30) ... maybe slightly. I can't say how this would translate to larger bags (525d vs halcyon) but I do have many larger halcyon bags and love them, i.e., don't find the lack of structure to be a problem.

Hey, appreciate you sharing the love! If anyone has any questions and/or videos they'd like to see about the T30, I'm all ears. My next one will be for my trip to Portland and one comparing it to the SG33.
                          Current EDC: Synik 30 | Travel: NFTD

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerS View Post

Hey, appreciate you sharing the love! If anyone has any questions and/or videos they'd like to see about the T30, I'm all ears. My next one will be for my trip to Portland and one comparing it to the SG33.
                            Hey Spencer - it'd be great if you'd do a video (or heavily photoed post) with an intensive investigation into all of the pockets & the zippered lower section (i.e, what the space is like zipped up, what it's like unzipped). For example, shoving different things of some recognizable size into all of the pockets including your hands, and then showing and even measuring the main compartment internal size zipped/unzipper. How about the handle side internal pocket liners *inside* the bag?? The TB videos show people shoving things under the liner inside the main compartment ... really? What's that look like?

If you stuff the side / top pockets full, what's that look like inside the bag?

Tons of details you could go into there!!

It'd also be nice to see how the T30 carries packed by the various handles and straps; i.e., does it tilt to one side when hand carried? How does the backpanel fabric feel against your clothes when carried as a shoulder bag? Does it chaff? What's it like in BP mode? How about the top handle? What's it like loaded to carry by the top handle?

Thanks!
                            Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

Maybe this is something that's already discussed but I couldn't find it in the thread. I have pre-ordered the Techonaut but noticed afterwards there are no O-rings at all in the main compartment, while there were 4 in the Aeronaut according to the specs. Could it be that after the preorder small things like this will be addressed and improved? If so, I'd rather wait. O-rings are a big part of how I organize my stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by EBV View Post
                                Maybe this is something that's already discussed but I couldn't find it in the thread. I have pre-ordered the Techonaut but noticed afterwards there are no O-rings at all in the main compartment, while there were 4 in the Aeronaut according to the specs. Could it be that after the preorder small things like this will be addressed and improved? If so, I'd rather wait. O-rings are a big part of how I organize my stuff.
                                I'm fairly new to the TB brand but I don't get the impression that they would change the style of a new bag very soon after issuing it, as that could be upsetting or discouraging for the "early adopters". Hopefully Darcy can chime in with more info though.
                                Last edited by Surrealle; 08-23-2021, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X