Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,527   Posts: 187,795   Members: 6,489   Active Members: 305
Welcome to our newest member, diederik.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Techonaut / Technonaut Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mjmetts
    replied
    Looks like the post is up! So excited to order one of these. Really interesting to hear about all the testing the did with the internal frame.

Leave a comment:

• GrussGott
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeV View Post
    Hey GrussGott , wow, that’s a strange issue — we tried to recreate it ourselves (everyone probably thought we were nuts dragging the bags around on the ground) but couldn’t get the laptop compartment to open on its own.
    Thanks Mike! Here's how I've recreated it, there are 3 key factors:

(1.) When fully zipped to the stop the zipper turns a little corner, putting the zipper more facing to the top of the bag, than the side and this turn has a bit of friction plus puts the zipper car on top, or at least more on top. The times I can recreate it are when the zipper is about a 1/4" to 1/2" from the top, i.e., not quite fully zipped and around that little corner.

(2.) When the bag is lying on an angle on it's side - the angle has to be so that essentially the zipper is flush with the surface it's touching - this happened once when standing on its bottom, but jammed in with other bags, once when the bag partially fell through a luggage rack and when pulling it up the canvas luggage rack strap grabbed just right, but most often and the way I've been able to recreate is when it's on it's side on a rear car seat, in this case specifically the rear captain's chair of a Highlander. The bag likes to lie right on the zipper edge with how that seat is tilted.

(3.) There's weight in the bag - my laptop is a 2020 MBP 16" (so big & heavy), I also carry 2x 25.6 mAh batteries, plus a load of stuff ... overall I'd put that weight at ~30lbs.

It may be the laptop shape + weight too, but I've not been able to recreate it without the laptop in the bag ... I somewhat suspect the edges of the laptop are creating or contributing to the problem...

Could be unique to me as I'm not easy or careful with my bags, tend to be "rammy" as Mom tells me

I'll also mention that after replacing the pull with a small bit of paracord I haven't been able to recreate it, so it may be the combo of zipper friction and the rubber pull. As that change puts my mind at ease I'm happy with the bag! Plus I'll say that the side zip is not any different from zips on other bags so I don't think it's faulty, but happy to work with the team if you think I should ...

Thanks to all for thinking about this and experimenting! Not many other (any?) companies have that level of diligence! Thanks TB Team!

EDIT: I found a pic!

this is actually just before an unzipping ... kinda hard to see but the zip isn't quite fully seated at the top and so around that little corner. When I went to grab the bag it fell through and since I was holding the top handle I pulled it back up through, but lazy man works twice as hard so of course the rack came up with me and I had to grab the rack and pull it off the bag and I heard it unzip (not fully, only about half way in that case and I've never had it fully unzip). Completely an edge-case to be sure but just in case it helps

Click image for larger version  Name:	TBsyn.png Views:	0 Size:	1.87 MB ID:	334128

For the super sharp-eyed, yes that's a MT fully carrying a fully stuffed Deuter Airlite 22 in just one end section! That's a roadtrip go-bag full of auto/road safety stuff.
    Last edited by GrussGott; 07-19-2021, 06:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• loz33k
    replied
    The bag is looking good so far, don’t suppose it will have a luggage handle pass thru on the back?

Leave a comment:

• MikeV
    replied
    Originally posted by tebnewyork View Post
    So, technaut sneak peek but what about the new halcyon color in the blog post...did I miss that somewhere along the way?
    Good eye! We have a lot to share in the coming days

Leave a comment:

• tebnewyork
    replied
    So, technaut sneak peek but what about the new halcyon color in the blog post...did I miss that somewhere along the way?

Leave a comment:

• MikeV
    replied
    Originally posted by asherbritain View Post
    Hi MikeV and TBCrew. The new website looks great. I love what you’ve done with the airplane logo. Very cool! Will you be posting photos of the Techonaut today? All I saw was a short summary about it. I’d love to see some photos and get a sense of its ELD (estimated launch date)! Many thanks.
    Another busy day here (Monday- we should have known better, really) so we're now planning to post that Techonaut sneak peek on the blog tomorrow. But since you asked.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	techonaut-2.jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	736.0 KB
ID:	334120
    Last edited by MikeV; 07-19-2021, 02:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• asherbritain
    replied
    Hi MikeV and TBCrew. The new website looks great. I love what you’ve done with the airplane logo. Very cool! Will you be posting photos of the Techonaut today? All I saw was a short summary about it. I’d love to see some photos and get a sense of its ELD (estimated launch date)! Many thanks.

Leave a comment:

• MikeV
    replied
    Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

oh no!

If the Techonaut has any zippers like the newer S30 laptop zippers I'll have to pass - I'm 1 more accidental unzipping away from stitching it closed ... there hasn't been anything TB has ever done that I'd call poor quality - including the WF side handles - but the S30's laptop side zipper is functionally poor such that, designwise I'd call it poor quality.

If those are the zippers, I'll have to be out

I've identified one certain scenario that causes the accidental unzipping: if the bag is standing on its bottom, but smashed together against other bags or near, say, a wall or couch, or lying on its side on a car seat ... if you pull the grab handle the friction (bag weight + leaning just right + 2nd grabby surface) is easily enough to unzip it if the bag is slightly sitting on its side!

The side-lean car seat is a new one from just today - I put the half loaded S30 in the back seat on its side and when I pulled the handle to get it out I heard it unzip and laptop half fell out!

Luckily I caught it, and I'll be very careful in the future, but those zips are a no go!
    Hey GrussGott , wow, that’s a strange issue — we tried to recreate it ourselves (everyone probably thought we were nuts dragging the bags around on the ground) but couldn’t get the laptop compartment to open on its own. We haven’t had any other reports of this issue. We think the advice to reach out to our customer service crew is good: it might actually be that you have a faulty zipper. Thanks for offering that advice, latchford !

On the topic of the zipper updates: a few folks asked us to share photos so they could tell which of their bags utilize Aquaguard and which RC, and a few other folks asked us to share even more detail about the update, so we went back to our notes (all the way back in January 2020, which seems like a decade ago) and wrote up a blog post with additional info. Here it is: Zipper Updates

Leave a comment:

• Mulligan
    replied
    1050D please!

Leave a comment:

• GrussGott
    replied
    Originally posted by marbenais View Post

I agree that 1050D ballistic is much better than the 525d - I have the Luminary 12 in Nebulous Grey and Synik 22 in Constellation, both with more care taken in their handling than my older bags, and the Navy 1050D I have on the Aeronaut 45 and Co-Pilot still looks better than those newer bags, even with asphalt, concrete, rocks, etc instead of only nice floors. It really does make a difference. I love the colors of the 525 but I would rather go with a 400 Halcyon than a 525 Ballistic because that won't show scuffs as quickly. 1050 will. not. quit. as an exterior fabric.

(I am super excited for the Techonaut! It sounds great! But I need it to hold up to as much real life as the Aeronaut does.)
    I think you nailed it! I have both black & blue halcyon S25s and in 6 years they still look great, and my blue halcyon was my hiking bag that carried weights and rolled around in my trunk every week!

My S25GE only has a few trips on it and there's already 2 scuffs I can't wipe off ... overall, for that bag (Ursa/coyote), I'm not bummed as I'll call it "Life's patina", but that can't be the case with the Technonaut, gotta be bombproof!
    Last edited by GrussGott; 07-18-2021, 04:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• marbenais
    replied
    ✔︎ Must be available in 1050D ballistic colors! For me, 525d doesn't work for a main bag + I love the durability & look of 1050; 525 simply gets too ratty too fast IMO (which is ok for a backpack but not main bag) and overall doesn't have the same rich aesthetic to me (no look-back). I'd take (prefer!) X-PAC too!
    I agree that 1050D ballistic is much better than the 525d - I have the Luminary 12 in Nebulous Grey and Synik 22 in Constellation, both with more care taken in their handling than my older bags, and the Navy 1050D I have on the Aeronaut 45 and Co-Pilot still looks better than those newer bags, even with asphalt, concrete, rocks, etc instead of only nice floors. It really does make a difference. I love the colors of the 525 but I would rather go with a 400 Halcyon than a 525 Ballistic because that won't show scuffs as quickly. 1050 will. not. quit. as an exterior fabric.

(I am super excited for the Techonaut! It sounds great! But I need it to hold up to as much real life as the Aeronaut does.)

Leave a comment:

• GrussGott
    replied
    Originally posted by latchford View Post
    Yikes. Have you contacted TB about it? I believe this is something that the crew would like to hear about. Maybe you received a bag with a faulty zipper.
    No, it's not faulty - I have similar bags with the same zips (i.e., Deuter) the rubber pull in combination with low zip resistance means if the bag has a decent amount friction against that zip, it's gonna pull it open. A metal pull would help, but overall I'd 1000% want the aquaguard ... TBH it's one of the features that led me to TB in the first place! I love the beefy YKK zips.

The scuffable 525d & these new weaker zips are kinda takin me out of TB

I'm probably just having a bad day
    Last edited by GrussGott; 07-16-2021, 07:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• latchford
    replied

oh no!

If the Techonaut has any zippers like the newer S30 laptop zippers I'll have to pass - I'm 1 more accidental unzipping away from stitching it closed ... there hasn't been anything TB has ever done that I'd call poor quality - including the WF side handles - but the S30's laptop side zipper is functionally poor such that, designwise I'd call it poor quality.

I've identified one certain scenario that causes the accidental unzipping: if the bag is near other bags or near, say, a wall or couch, or lying on its side on a car seat ... if you pull the grab handle the friction is easily enough to unzip it if the bag is slightly sitting on its side!

The side car seat is a new one from just today - I put the half loaded S30 in the back seat on its side and when I pulled the handle to get it out I heard it unzip and laptop half fell out!

Luckily I caught it, and I'll be very careful in the future, but those zips are a no go!
    Yikes. Have you contacted TB about it? I believe this is something that the crew would like to hear about. Maybe you received a bag with a faulty zipper.

Leave a comment:

• GrussGott
    replied
    Originally posted by latchford View Post

!!!
    Is your S30 a recent purchase? Those have a racquet coil DWR zipper with paracord pull on the laptop compartment. My S30 and S22 laptop compartments have Aquaguard zippers which take some effort to open or close and they've never unzipped themselves.

I checked the facebook group and the TB Crew confirmed that the Techonaut will have the RC DWR zippers. I'm really hoping that every Techonaut zipper has a proper metal pull tab and not those paracord pulls. I almost tossed my Design Lab Packing Cube Shoulder Bag out of my apartment window out of sheer frustration with those rubbish paracord pulls.
    oh no!

I've identified one certain scenario that causes the accidental unzipping: if the bag is standing on its bottom, but smashed together against other bags or near, say, a wall or couch, or lying on its side on a car seat ... if you pull the grab handle the friction (bag weight + leaning just right + 2nd grabby surface) is easily enough to unzip it if the bag is slightly sitting on its side!

The side-lean car seat is a new one from just today - I put the half loaded S30 in the back seat on its side and when I pulled the handle to get it out I heard it unzip and laptop half fell out!

Last edited by GrussGott; 07-16-2021, 07:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• latchford
    replied
    The S30 laptop compartment has a lot of flaws - for me it needs more suspension, more padding, easier access, and most of all: better zippers! There's been a number of times where the side compartment unzipped itself and my laptop almost fell out!

I'm hoping future S30 versions improve on these points, though I realize the design requires trade-offs ... that said, the S30 side zipper REALLY needs work; either a stiffer zipper or lock feature (the internal zipper is also not great)
    !!!
    Is your S30 a recent purchase? Those have a racquet coil DWR zipper with paracord pull on the laptop compartment. My S30 and S22 laptop compartments have Aquaguard zippers which take some effort to open or close and they've never unzipped themselves.

I checked the facebook group and the TB Crew confirmed that the Techonaut will have the RC DWR zippers. I'm really hoping that every Techonaut zipper has a proper metal pull tab and not those paracord pulls. I almost tossed my Design Lab Packing Cube Shoulder Bag out of my apartment window out of sheer frustration with those rubbish paracord pulls.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X