Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,525   Posts: 187,787   Members: 6,487   Active Members: 306
Welcome to our newest member, cguan17.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Techonaut / Technonaut Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello TB Forums. New member but I have a question about the Techonaut. Long story short, coming from an RedOxx AirBoss (zipper failed) and need a new bag for a trip in early November. I hadn't been bag shopping for a long time and my original idea was to get a A45. But when I arrived at the site, I was immediately intrigued by the Techonaut45. Do you think there is any chance I would be able to get one before I leave on 11/8/2021? If not, I'm going to most likely pull the trigger on the A45 currently available but also looking at a few other cheaper options with the idea I'll eventually replace it with the Techonauts when its available.

Thanks!
    AHOOP24

Comment

Originally posted by ahoop24 View Post
      Hello TB Forums. New member but I have a question about the Techonaut. Long story short, coming from an RedOxx AirBoss (zipper failed) and need a new bag for a trip in early November. I hadn't been bag shopping for a long time and my original idea was to get a A45. But when I arrived at the site, I was immediately intrigued by the Techonaut45. Do you think there is any chance I would be able to get one before I leave on 11/8/2021? If not, I'm going to most likely pull the trigger on the A45 currently available but also looking at a few other cheaper options with the idea I'll eventually replace it with the Techonauts when its available.

Thanks!
      AHOOP24
      Welcome to the Forums ahoop24

TB just closed two rounds of pre-orders on the Techonauts. They are scheduled to be available as 'in stock' bags sometime in November, so having one in your hands prior to November 8th seems dubious, but your best bet is to contact the fine folks in Customer Service to see if they have a better idea of timing.
      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post

Welcome to the Forums ahoop24

TB just closed two rounds of pre-orders on the Techonauts. They are scheduled to be available as 'in stock' bags sometime in November, so having one in your hands prior to November 8th seems dubious, but your best bet is to contact the fine folks in Customer Service to see if they have a better idea of timing.
        Thanks! That is essentially what I thought but I wanted to confirm before I kill my Techonaut dreams

I’ll reach out to customer service to confirm.

Comment

I am finally on the road after packing my entire life up and storing it away and I am woefully behind on trying to take photos and do write ups of new bags....
          But along with a bunch of other stuff, I have the T30 and T45 with me - courtesy of TB for my independent review & evaluation - and I'll be getting to those photos, etc. soon.

My first quick impressions of the T30, photos later:

-I love the 400d Night Walk halcyon (you all know I've always been a big halcyon fan)
          -I backpack carried it for a while and up and down stairs as I was moving and the new Edgeless straps are really really nice. I never had a problem with the previous 'Bound' style straps on my S19s, BB's, or Aeronauts. The only time I noticed them was carrying the A45 under completely heavy/full load through airports and that was due to the sheer weight. My T30 isn't very heavy, but the straps are just noticeably comfy and cushy.
          -Almost more noticeable to me is the main side handle which also gets the super cush Edgeless treatment. I had my Paragon on my back and was hand carrying the T30 from the car, through the hotel (very very far from the lobby to my room) and it was just amazingly and noticeably comfy.

-Top pocket: Nat'l Parks 'Passport' book & small OP with Passport, important docs, etc.
          -Longer side pocket - open for water bottle
          -Shorter side pocket - pair of wrist splints & headlamp

-Big bottom pocket: A30 small laundry cube with squishy socks, undies, etc. This makes the lower pocket flat and the bag sits up well on that base. (I know a lot of folks have mentioned using that space for shoes, and I'm trying that on the T45.)
          -Main compartment: pair of jeans & pair of workout pants folded flat; one large Eagle Creek Specter Sac (14.5 x 10.5) with several folded shirts sideways across the space; one A30 end cube on the same level - at the top of the space. Next layer up: reisenthel dirty laundry bag; travel Waterpik cube/case; new Grab Bag (courtesy of TB) with toiletries; Kit (disco'd item) with more toiletries; Small Q-kit with a toothbrush charger; and a Cubelet.

So far, really cool bag - the vibe is definitely more pack than duffel to me, but still seems easy to 'live out of' so far, like my beloved A30.

(eta, corrected sheer vs shear; homophones get me every time!)
          Last edited by G42; 09-01-2021, 02:37 PM.
          I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I am finally on the road after packing my entire life up and storing it away ...hand carrying the T30 from the car, through the hotel (very very far from the lobby to my room) and it was just amazingly and noticeably comfy.
            Congrats G42 & Safe Travels! As you know, I'm on the verge of doing the same thing - we just did a 2 week run through the Cali & Oregon coast ... we got really lucky with the smoke as it wasn't around us much but seemed to be everywhere else. I rocked my TS, S30, LGD, & 2x MTs all performed wonderfully!

Quick off-topic note for us smoked out travelers -

Build a cheap air purifier for your hotel - per independent tests these work = to $1000 hepa models (if you use merv 12 or 13 filters):

2 filter version
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Drv-4VlVAAAnMWz.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	335889

4 or 5 filter version:

Name:	portable-air-cleaner-diy-high-merv-filter-assembled.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	335890

For the car & room, we have a more compact rectangular Rabbit Air hepa model (but much more expensive) that I plugged into an inverter in the car - super purified the air on the luckily few times we drove through some bad areas; even with the vents closed, driving through 150+ pm2.5 areas we could smell it so we were glad to be able to turn on the purifier in the car (and the room too of course).

​​​​​​​Safe Travels!

Comment

I am finally on the road after packing my entire life up and storing it away and I am woefully behind on trying to take photos and do write ups of new bags....
              But along with a bunch of other stuff, I have the T30 and T45 with me - courtesy of TB for my independent review & evaluation - and I'll be getting to those photos, etc. soon.

My first quick impressions of the T30, photos later:

-I love the 400d Night Walk halcyon (you all know I've always been a big halcyon fan)
              -I backpack carried it for a while and up and down stairs as I was moving and the new Edgeless straps are really really nice. I never had a problem with the previous 'Bound' style straps on my S19s, BB's, or Aeronauts. The only time I noticed them was carrying the A45 under completely heavy/full load through airports and that was due to the sheer weight. My T30 isn't very heavy, but the straps are just noticeably comfy and cushy.
              -Almost more noticeable to me is the main side handle which also gets the super cush Edgeless treatment. I had my Paragon on my back and was hand carrying the T30 from the car, through the hotel (very very far from the lobby to my room) and it was just amazingly and noticeably comfy.

-Top pocket: Nat'l Parks 'Passport' book & small OP with Passport, important docs, etc.
              -Longer side pocket - open for water bottle
              -Shorter side pocket - pair of wrist splints & headlamp

-Big bottom pocket: A30 small laundry cube with squishy socks, undies, etc. This makes the lower pocket flat and the bag sits up well on that base. (I know a lot of folks have mentioned using that space for shoes, and I'm trying that on the T45.)
              -Main compartment: pair of jeans & pair of workout pants folded flat; one large Eagle Creek Specter Sac (14.5 x 10.5) with several folded shirts sideways across the space; one A30 end cube on the same level - at the top of the space. Next layer up: reisenthel dirty laundry bag; travel Waterpik cube/case; new Grab Bag (courtesy of TB) with toiletries; Kit (disco'd item) with more toiletries; Small Q-kit with a toothbrush charger; and a Cubelet.

So far, really cool bag - the vibe is definitely more pack than duffel to me, but still seems easy to 'live out of' so far, like my beloved A30.

(eta, corrected sheer vs shear; homophones get me every time!)
              How is the comfort of the T45 packed out without the hip strap and frame sheet? Do you feel the need for either for longer carries, at airports, etc.? Is there sufficient stiffness in the skeleton back panel to work well with a padded hip belt and negate the need for a frame sheet?

Comment

Originally posted by Foxx View Post

How is the comfort of the T45 packed out without the hip strap and frame sheet? Do you feel the need for either for longer carries, at airports, etc.? Is there sufficient stiffness in the skeleton back panel to work well with a padded hip belt and negate the need for a frame sheet?
                For the frame sheets, I never felt the need for them with my Aeronaut 30 and 45 - and never tried them - so have not gotten them for the T30/T45 either.

I have used the padded hip belt on the A45 a few times, usually when traveling with an extremely full & heavy bag for the year end holidays where I was carrying the bag backpack style for long walks including mass transit, airports, etc. and when the holiday crush of travelers meant standing around with it a lot. That specific use, for me, was to get some of the weight transferred to my hips vs shoulders and for that it seemed to work, so I would expect it would work the same way with the T45.

I haven't used the T45 at an airport yet and don't expect to until next year maybe - I'm road traveling the balance of 2021 except for one flight back to CA where the T30 will be with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxx View Post

My comment on the T30 only, since I don’t have the T45, and note that I have not had occasion to travel with this, The T30 combination with padded hip belt works well without a separate frame sheet; the additional support of a frame sheet is not needed here. However, you were asking about the T45 (that I don’t have). Darcy’s comment was that their testers agreed that the T30 didn’t need an additional frame sheet, but that opinions were split about 50-50 on whether the T45 + padded hip belt needed the additional frame sheet.

An additional advantage of the back panel design of the Techonaut is that you can leave the padded hip belt attached, and tuck the sections behind the back panel.

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by ahoop24 View Post

Thanks!
                    AHOOP24
                    Red Oxx will fix the zipper under warranty.

Comment

Do we have any idea how early in October pre-orders are coming? Getting excited.

Comment

Originally posted by taD3noaHmg View Post
                        Do we have any idea how early in October pre-orders are coming? Getting excited.
                        Same here. I have a trip in October and I'm wondering if I'm taking this or the Aeronaut.

Comment

Originally posted by taD3noaHmg View Post
                          Originally posted by drobeson View Post

Same here. I have a trip in October and I'm wondering if I'm taking this or the Aeronaut.
                          Definitely early October. We're finalizing the details... expect news on this soon!

Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

nm, love the bag.
                            Last edited by taD3noaHmg; 10-05-2021, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Just received my T30! One thing I noticed immediately is the shoulder straps seem excessively long. In fact, I loaded up a laptop and some pillows and realize I max out the adjustment of the webbing. I figure this is due to A) the addition of a side release buckle on a triangular attachment point, and B) moving the tri-glide off of the bottom of the shoulder strap. I'm slightly disappointed that I can't tighten the straps further (and I'm 6'1") which causes the bag to dig below my lumbar.

I believe I found somewhat of a solution where I take the included waist belt and route the gate-keeper webbing through the tri-glide on the straps after removing the existing webbing/buckle. Then I attach the gate-keeper to the loop which holds the mating side release buckle. I would need to cut the side release off the main bag to clean it up but not sure I want to do that just yet. Does anyone else find the straps too long?

Comment

Originally posted by mmpgh View Post

Does anyone else find the straps too long?
                                I'm not sure about the T30 as I have the T45, but I'm the opposite! The longer straps mean the bag doesn't cut under my left armpit when cinched tight as some of the other TB bags do.

The lighting is bad in this photo, but you can get a sense of what I'm talking about:

Name:	fetch?id=336519.png
Views:	176
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	336548

You can see on my left arm & shoulder I have a bit of an asymmetry and the strap starts to cut under my armpit.

On the pre-2020 backpacks I notice this as a problem, but it seems the newer backpacks have longer straps and/or a different design that changes the angle of the bottom strap connector making it less acute, thus I don't get any circulation problems due to the strap cutting under my arm. For reference I"m 6'2", so we're about the same size, but as I mentioned I have the T45.

Sorry to hear the bag might now work for you! I hope you can find a good solution!

Comment

Working...
                                X