Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,587   Posts: 188,427   Members: 6,565   Active Members: 323
Welcome to our newest member, Jade877792.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Techonaut / Technonaut Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmpgh View Post
    Just received my T30! One thing I noticed immediately is the shoulder straps seem excessively long. In fact, I loaded up a laptop and some pillows and realize I max out the adjustment of the webbing. I figure this is due to A) the addition of a side release buckle on a triangular attachment point, and B) moving the tri-glide off of the bottom of the shoulder strap. I'm slightly disappointed that I can't tighten the straps further (and I'm 6'1") which causes the bag to dig below my lumbar.

I believe I found somewhat of a solution where I take the included waist belt and route the gate-keeper webbing through the tri-glide on the straps after removing the existing webbing/buckle. Then I attach the gate-keeper to the loop which holds the mating side release buckle. I would need to cut the side release off the main bag to clean it up but not sure I want to do that just yet. Does anyone else find the straps too long?
    Sorry I've always lurked the forums and made an account just to chime in and agree. I'm sorry if the formatting is wrong. I figured it was just my frame being small (5'6") since I have always tightened my straps nearly all the way on every one of my backpacks. Even with the sternum straps the straps are still too big for me. If I use the waist straps it tightens at the waist but the top feels less secure because my torso is pretty short. It doesn't feel as secure as I want it to feel. My boyfriend who is 5'10" had no problems with the fit. The straps are about 10 cm longer on the T30 than the A30, its hard to measure the ending point on the A30 since the buckle hides away so that measurement isn't the best to be honest.
    I quickly packed my bag because it luckily came just before I was about to leave to the airport (the flight ended up being canceled) but the second I tried to put it on and tighten it I thought that I would be more comfortable using the A30. I received it on the 30th actually, and have been debating whether or not I want to return it, or give it to my boyfriend to use or see if I'll change my mind and I even thought that maybe the frame sheet would help. I thought "Well if I'm wearing jackets it will fit better and that'll solve the issue", but I don't want to feel like I have to compromise. I will try this trick though and see if I feel better about it.

I want to love it so badly but the strap length makes it almost unusable as a backpack for me personally. The straps themselves feel great. If I can get my boyfriend to take pictures of our A30, A45 and T30 I will try to post them for comparison of how they fit.

Comment

Welcome to the Forums mmariah !
      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by mmariah View Post
        I want to love it so badly but the strap length makes it almost unusable as a backpack for me personally. The straps themselves feel great. If I can get my boyfriend to take pictures of our A30, A45 and T30 I will try to post them for comparison of how they fit.
        I've lurked a while here too and also own an A30 (and used to own an A45) which I carried exclusively in backpack mode which is why I went for the T30. I'm likely going to keep the T30 as it is still much more comfortable than the A30.

Comment

Today I test packed and compared a Black 1050 Ballistic A45, a Navy 1050 Ballistic T45, a Nightwalk Halcyon T30, a Bellroy 38L Transit Plus Backpack, and a Bellroy 28L Transit Backpack. To keep things fast and simple, I just used towels, t-shirts and a 15.4 inch laptop (about 16 lbs altogether). FWIW, here are my totally unscientific results and random thoughts:

A45 – Seems to have the most capacity. I’ve taken it on some trips and checked it a few times. Tough as nails and still looks like new. No need for a frame sheet when packed tight. Did not use it with a laptop. Did not like having to pack in 3 separate sections. Did not use the shoulder straps much because stowing and unstowing them was slow and cumbersome. Did not matter since I was rarely going very far without an airport cart or similar alternative. The aquaguard zippers are tedious.

T45 – Seems like slightly little less capacity than the A45, but not using packing cubes and not having a 2nd end pocket may have affected that impression. However, I don’t want a 2nd end pocket. I’m a single bucket kind of guy, but like having a separate laptop pocket and a separate pocket for dirty clothes, shoes, etc.

Backpack carry with the T45 was far more comfortable than with the A45. As with the A45, I see no need for an added frame sheet (the pack is stiff enough when full), but I might want to get the padded hip belts. Having a pass-through is nice, as is the back padding. Stowing and unstowing the straps seems far easier than on the A45.

A large laptop went in and out easily, even when fully packed. Unlike some bags, the laptop did not make me feel like I had a board strapped to my back.

The zippers are far easier to use (good riddance to aquaguard!). Unlike the A45, the T45 has useful and usable external water bottle and quick access pockets. The suitcase handle seems fine. The A45 double handle seems like an easier grab and carry, but I’m not going to carry it that way for long distances anyway, and I like the closer fitting less dangly T45 handle.

I like the Navy exterior but not the ultraviolet interior (but can live with it).

Nitpick – it would be nice if the end pocket could be shoved totally out of the way when unzipped, instead of just partly out of the way (I have the same complaint about the A45).

T30 – OMG! Everything I put into the T45 fit into T30! Yes, I could have stuffed more in the T45, but I wasn’t trying to pack it to the gills for purposes of this test. Everything I said about the T45 applies equally well to the T30, but it sure seems like TB is understating the T30’s capacity. I’m going to have to think long and hard about whether to keep the T45.

For me, backpack carry with the T30 hugged my back better and felt a bit more comfortable than the T45, despite the identical load weight, perhaps because it’s a bit shorter and less deep. The center of gravity on the T45 seemed to be pulling me back just a bit.

Nightwalk looks and feels great, but I would not want to check it, and it could be a little less easy to pack since it doesn’t hold its shape as well as 1050 ballistic. I hate NW Sky just as much as I thought I would (where’s acuity when you need it?)! Luckily, I won’t have to see it most of the time!

Bellroy Transit Packs – Love their look, a lot of their design touches, and their commitment to recycled fabrics etc. They have more structure and hold their shape better than the TB bags. Like the A45, there is no back padding. CORRECTION, I forgot there's a sort of waffle board back panel. Not exactly padded, but not bad. The laptop felt like a board against my back. The padded portions of their shoulder straps seem a bit short, a bit narrow and a bit thin. Backpack carry is good enough but not great. The “30L” T30 held more than the “38L” Transit Backpack Plus and a lot more than the “28L” Transit backpack.
          Last edited by ayazgood; 10-10-2021, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ayazgood View Post
            [FONT=Calibri][

Today I test packed and compared a Black 1050 Ballistic A45, a Navy 1050 Ballistic T45, a Nightwalk Halcyon T30, a Bellroy 38L Transit Plus Backpack, and a Bellroy 28L Transit Backpack.
            Excellent write-up!

I'm still experimenting with my T45, about to go on a longer road trip so I'll be testing it out in pretty real-world conditions with the exception of air travel.

As for the zippers, well, I'm the opposite - TBH they're so slippery as to almost feel unsafe - my question for MikeV or Darcy is if there's anything we can put on the zippers to give them some more friction. For me, as is, they're a security risk and therefore, to my hand, they feel kinda cheap even though I'm sure they're not. I like bag stuff to feel beefy and these new zippers definitely do not ... they're almost a deal killer.

The suitcase handle ... ehhh ... I'm still on the fence about that thing. Notionally it seems like genius, but in use it's awkward so far and I greatly prefer every other TB handle BUT. I've not yet loaded 'er up and tried a long carry, that could change everything. The edgeless shoulder straps feel awkward to me in casual use as well, but under load they're great - not the best in the biz, but a great improvement over the previous versions.

I completely agree on the 1080 - I can't imagine a T45 in anything other than 1080 ... I might try a T30 in halcyon assuming something can be done about adding friction to the zippers ...

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post
              As for the zippers, well, I'm the opposite - TBH they're so slippery as to almost feel unsafe - my question for MikeV or Darcy is if there's anything we can put on the zippers to give them some more friction. For me, as is, they're a security risk and therefore, to my hand, they feel kinda cheap even though I'm sure they're not. I like bag stuff to feel beefy and these new zippers definitely do not ... they're almost a deal killer.

The suitcase handle ... ehhh ... I'm still on the fence about that thing. Notionally it seems like genius, but in use it's awkward so far and I greatly prefer every other TB handle BUT. I've not yet loaded 'er up and tried a long carry, that could change everything. The edgeless shoulder straps feel awkward to me in casual use as well, but under load they're great - not the best in the biz, but a great improvement over the previous version.
              Have to disagree about the zippers. They are chunky and are not going to just slide down (open) on their own, even if left partly open. Might want to use a luggage lock if walking around in a crowd, and not leave anything valuable in unlockable exterior pockets.

The wide handle may take some getting use to. Felt awkward without weight. Seemed to curl up naturally and comfortably with weight in the bag. I suspect most people would prefer one of TB's a thinner, rounder poron handles.

Comment

Might want to use a luggage lock if walking around in a crowd,
                I hear you, though IME (I worked in an airline for a decade) a luggage lock is a flashing advertisement to thieves so I use the zipper pull interweave... that said, there are generally 3 types:

* Street snatch & grabs, and opportunity thieves
                These are the highest probability thieves and they like easy-open zippers A stiff zipper is usually enough to deter most as their MO is pull open reach in grab and run

* Semi pros
                These thieves pick their targets and they LOVE locks since it says "I have valuable stuff here!" They'll typically jab a ballpoint pen or similar tool into the zipper and then spend some time in there. Unless the zipper is strong enough to stop that kind of attack (I've never tested them but would love if TB would!) the pros are getting your stuff.

* Pros
                These are people like hotel maids, airline baggage handlers, pro thieves that ride trains / planes, and B&E types. The most common of this type is the person or couple that do airline mileage runs and while they're on the plane they reach into the overhead and dig through your bag. Sometimes they'll even take your bag back to their seat and spend awhile with it! In that scenario they'll use the ballpoint pen trick and re-zip or a TSA key to get around any locks since they count on you not noticing until you're off the plane.

In any event, really it's only the first type that's probably a realistic problem with these new zips but ... there's also just a FEEL everytime I use them that just doesn't feel durable or beefy ...

Now that said, tomorrow I leave for a trip so I"ll be able to test all of this stuff out and will come to some conclusions - I may find some benefits to these things, including the ultra-glide zips, that aren't apparent from just messing about.

More to come!
                Last edited by GrussGott; 10-11-2021, 02:50 PM.

Comment

My T45 just arrived a few minutes ago. It's a lot smaller than I was expecting (in the best way). The international trip I originally purchased it for has been cancelled, but I have one at the end of November that will be perfect. I'll post some more thoughts as I have more time with the bag. But I am incredibly pleased with this bag and can't wait to pack it up.

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

I wish there was more we could offer, but there's no way to modify racquet coil zippers to be more like Aquaguard zippers. This recent blog post shares more about the racquet coil zippers and why we're using them: https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/zipper-updates

Comment

Originally posted by craigmcclellan View Post
                      My T45 just arrived a few minutes ago. It's a lot smaller than I was expecting (in the best way). The international trip I originally purchased it for has been cancelled, but I have one at the end of November that will be perfect. I'll post some more thoughts as I have more time with the bag. But I am incredibly pleased with this bag and can't wait to pack it up.
                      Any pictures wearing or first impressions with it on your back? I've seen some concerns about the straps (length/comfort under load) but I'm just hoping they're as comfortable as my Synik 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxx View Post

Any pictures wearing or first impressions with it on your back? I've seen some concerns about the straps (length/comfort under load) but I'm just hoping they're as comfortable as my Synik 30.
                        You can check out my T45 badassery post that has some detail on that - my answer would be, yes they're as comfortable as the S30, however I find the T45 to be a more comfortable backpack under load and over a long carry - that's not to say in any way the S30 is uncomfortable, just that, for me, the T45 is better backpack.

For me I don't find the straps too long, and the length does give you more adjustability, especially when loaded up; i'll frequently cinch up and let out over a long walk / hike so I love the straps as they are.

Comment

Have to disagree about the zippers.
                          T45 Zipper Update!

I'm traveling with the S30, TS, and T45 - the first 2 have the aquaguard zips and the T45 the racquet coil zips ... Yes, I greatly prefer the aquaguard, however after some days of packing & unpacking I'm getting used to racquet coils and they no longer annoy me as much as when I first got the bag. I"ll admit to being VERY close to sending the T45 back when I first tried them (the overall design and coyote 1080 convinced me not to ); The RCs just have a slippery feel that doesn't appeal to me, although I can totally see other might love them (and think the aquaguard resistance feel is "cheaper" than more slippery feel of the racquet coils! )

In use, however, I've found the RC zips to be good, even when used side-by-side with the aquaguards; so, despite much preferring the aquaguard, the racquet coil's will do the trick!

So, for anyone like me who's a aquaguard / burly zipper lover, don't worry: the RCs aren't a deal breaker, but they do take a little getting used to!

Comment

Working...
                          X