Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,588   Posts: 188,432   Members: 6,565   Active Members: 323
Welcome to our newest member, Jade877792.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Techonaut / Technonaut Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wanderlust77 View Post
    Thank you, GrussGott! Deleted FB years ago.
    Me, too. And when I discovered how difficult it was to actually delete an account completely, it made me even happier that I had done so. Would never go back, although I admit that missing out on the various TB details there has made me wish for the "double posting" Darcy mentioned above. That sounds like a great solution.

Comment

Originally posted by aungrl View Post

Me, too. And when I discovered how difficult it was to actually delete an account completely, it made me even happier that I had done so. Would never go back, although I admit that missing out on the various TB details there has made me wish for the "double posting" Darcy mentioned above. That sounds like a great solution.
      I am on FB and in that group. I don’t think you are missing much unless you are buying or selling your TB bags.

Comment

I have really tried to get involved with the FB group but it is way too large for me to handle since I check FB less than once a week, so I appreciate sharing updates here too! I am super excited to see how the new Techonaut shakes out.

Comment

Someone posted this on FB group. Looks like they captured an early posting (not accurate text) and now it is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by WineCountry View Post
            Someone posted this on FB group. Looks like they captured an early posting (not accurate text) and now it is gone.
            If this image is true, I'm kind of disappointed that the laptop compartment isn't up to 15". When I travel I'm usually carrying my work computer so 15 inch is a requirement for me, but I'm on the shorter size (5'2") so I don't want to be swallowed by a giant bag. It's the same issue I had with the Synik 22 - the bag size was great but the laptop compartment just didn't cut it so I couldn't keep it. Shame :/

Comment

Originally posted by clee View Post

If this image is true, I'm kind of disappointed that the laptop compartment isn't up to 15". When I travel I'm usually carrying my work computer so 15 inch is a requirement for me, but I'm on the shorter size (5'2") so I don't want to be swallowed by a giant bag. It's the same issue I had with the Synik 22 - the bag size was great but the laptop compartment just didn't cut it so I couldn't keep it. Shame :/
              I suspect the image is correct, but the description is not. As someone pointed out on the facebook page, it looks like a placeholder pulled from the Synik 22 description (and indeed identifies the size as 22 liters, not 30 or 45).

Comment

Originally posted by John1970 View Post

I suspect the image is correct, but the description is not. As someone pointed out on the facebook page, it looks like a placeholder pulled from the Synik 22 description (and indeed identifies the size as 22 liters, not 30 or 45).
                Agree, thus the comment in the post that says the text isn't accurate

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                  We're collecting our Techonaut PPB notes and we'll have photos to share sometime this week or next. There's a supplier delay that's a bit of a nail biter, but that's really the only holdup at this point.
                  Looks like this might be one of the photos that Darcy will probably be sharing soon!

Comment

The Techonaut 30 page was very briefly changed so it could be seen on the front-end and someone saw it and screen-grabbed it at that moment! We've taken it down now but we will be posting a coming soon page for the Techonaut 30 on Friday. We'll post a heads-up here as soon as it's live, so stay tuned for that It won't be the full page but it will share some key details.

Comment

To be fair - most of the FB activity is on the “fan-run” group page, it’s not coming from the TB Crew. 😊 Nice to hear the Crew is taking care to post in both places. I don’t love Zuck/FB’s business tactics either.

Originally posted by PaulT00 View Post
                      GrussGott - Also thanks, I have never had (and won't have, on principle) a Facebook account so having someone kindly summarise here is the only chance I have to see this stuff.

While I don't object to organisations who use Facebook to interact with customers, I object most strongly to being shut out of relevant discussions simply because I won't blithely agree to let Mark Zuckerberg sell my personal data to all and sundry. Not everyone, as I've said before, either has or wants a Facebook account, and firms who assume to the contrary do everyone a massive disservice. This unfortunately includes my $employers, who have an internal "Workplace by Facebook" site to which I refuse to sign up on principle...

Comment

Originally posted by haraya View Post
                        most of the FB activity is on the “fan-run” group page ... I don’t love Zuck/FB’s business tactics either.
                        FB is obviously super convenient & has a lot of great features for people to stay in touch but I can't ignore the fact that 2/3 of people on FB extremist groups found them because FB recommended them! Or that FB accepts ad dollars & places disinformation ads w/ scare tactics for healthcare (HIV, SARS, measles, etc) and contraception. I live & work in Silicon Valley and know many former employees - just wanted to clarify why wrote that and not to take us off track!

Great to hear the TB crew is in both places!

I'm hoping MikeV is hard at work on the Techonaut page right now! I'm hoping for a ton of pics ... I'm still in the market for the perfect travel bag, and hoping the Techonaut is it!

I really like the Synik 30 however for me it has a few downsides as a great main travel bag (I'm working up to doing a review):

✘ At 30L the S30 is ideal as a max size in-flight bag, but not a main bag - paired with a larger bag (WF, TS, A45) for clothes, it's great, but not to use as my main and/or only bag (though maybe i'll try it at some point!)
                        ✘ The S30 frame sheet isn't sturdy enough for me - I understand the trade-offs & compromises needed to keep the overall design (and agree!) but I GREATLY prefer the solidity of the framesheet on the S25
                        The S30 laptop compartment has a lot of flaws - for me it needs more suspension, more padding, easier access, and most of all: better zippers! There's been a number of times where the side compartment unzipped itself and my laptop almost fell out!

I'm hoping future S30 versions improve on these points, though I realize the design requires trade-offs ... that said, the S30 side zipper REALLY needs work; either a stiffer zipper or lock feature (the internal zipper is also not great)

For me, for the Techonaut, I'd love to see:

✔︎ A sturdy & solid frame sheet - for those that want one, let's have a very rugged, solid one! Or at least a choice of two - flexible or solid
                        ✔︎ A back-located tech compartment that's easy-access but also VERY secure ... for me, I don't much access my laptop unless I'm seated for a while, so it's not important to me that it's super handy, I'd much rather have it secure.
                        ✔︎ Must be available in 1050D ballistic colors! For me, 525d doesn't work for a main bag + I love the durability & look of 1050; 525 simply gets too ratty too fast IMO (which is ok for a backpack but not main bag) and overall doesn't have the same rich aesthetic to me (no look-back). I'd take (prefer!) X-PAC too!

X-Pac is so great in its shape-keeping ability (better than 1050!), look, durability, and weatherproofing, I'd love it if TB offered 1 or more X-Pacs!

To my eye, X-Pac has a super high tech look & feel, so would be PERFECT for a bag called the Techonaut!
                        Last edited by GrussGott; 07-16-2021, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Hey GrussGott and everyone else following here- I'm sorry to report it's going to be Monday before we get the Techonaut preview posted. Between the last of the pre-orders shipping and working out some changes to the new website based on feedback, we just need a little more time.

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post
                            The S30 laptop compartment has a lot of flaws - for me it needs more suspension, more padding, easier access, and most of all: better zippers! There's been a number of times where the side compartment unzipped itself and my laptop almost fell out!

I'm hoping future S30 versions improve on these points, though I realize the design requires trade-offs ... that said, the S30 side zipper REALLY needs work; either a stiffer zipper or lock feature (the internal zipper is also not great)
                            !!!
                            Is your S30 a recent purchase? Those have a racquet coil DWR zipper with paracord pull on the laptop compartment. My S30 and S22 laptop compartments have Aquaguard zippers which take some effort to open or close and they've never unzipped themselves.

I checked the facebook group and the TB Crew confirmed that the Techonaut will have the RC DWR zippers. I'm really hoping that every Techonaut zipper has a proper metal pull tab and not those paracord pulls. I almost tossed my Design Lab Packing Cube Shoulder Bag out of my apartment window out of sheer frustration with those rubbish paracord pulls.
                            Night Walk/Northwest Sky Paradigm, Navy/Ultraviolet Techonaut 45, Navy Mini Yeoman, everything Acuity

Comment

Originally posted by latchford View Post

!!!
                              Is your S30 a recent purchase? Those have a racquet coil DWR zipper with paracord pull on the laptop compartment. My S30 and S22 laptop compartments have Aquaguard zippers which take some effort to open or close and they've never unzipped themselves.

I checked the facebook group and the TB Crew confirmed that the Techonaut will have the RC DWR zippers. I'm really hoping that every Techonaut zipper has a proper metal pull tab and not those paracord pulls. I almost tossed my Design Lab Packing Cube Shoulder Bag out of my apartment window out of sheer frustration with those rubbish paracord pulls.
                              oh no!

If the Techonaut has any zippers like the newer S30 laptop zippers I'll have to pass - I'm 1 more accidental unzipping away from stitching it closed ... there hasn't been anything TB has ever done that I'd call poor quality - including the WF side handles - but the S30's laptop side zipper is functionally poor such that, designwise I'd call it poor quality.

If those are the zippers, I'll have to be out

I've identified one certain scenario that causes the accidental unzipping: if the bag is standing on its bottom, but smashed together against other bags or near, say, a wall or couch, or lying on its side on a car seat ... if you pull the grab handle the friction (bag weight + leaning just right + 2nd grabby surface) is easily enough to unzip it if the bag is slightly sitting on its side!

The side-lean car seat is a new one from just today - I put the half loaded S30 in the back seat on its side and when I pulled the handle to get it out I heard it unzip and laptop half fell out!

Luckily I caught it, and I'll be very careful in the future, but those zips are a no go!
                              Last edited by GrussGott; 07-16-2021, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

oh no!

If the Techonaut has any zippers like the newer S30 laptop zippers I'll have to pass - I'm 1 more accidental unzipping away from stitching it closed ... there hasn't been anything TB has ever done that I'd call poor quality - including the WF side handles - but the S30's laptop side zipper is functionally poor such that, designwise I'd call it poor quality.

If those are the zippers, I'll have to be out

I've identified one certain scenario that causes the accidental unzipping: if the bag is near other bags or near, say, a wall or couch, or lying on its side on a car seat ... if you pull the grab handle the friction is easily enough to unzip it if the bag is slightly sitting on its side!

The side car seat is a new one from just today - I put the half loaded S30 in the back seat on its side and when I pulled the handle to get it out I heard it unzip and laptop half fell out!

Luckily I caught it, and I'll be very careful in the future, but those zips are a no go!
                                Yikes. Have you contacted TB about it? I believe this is something that the crew would like to hear about. Maybe you received a bag with a faulty zipper.

Night Walk/Northwest Sky Paradigm, Navy/Ultraviolet Techonaut 45, Navy Mini Yeoman, everything Acuity

Comment

Working...
                                X