Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,527   Posts: 187,795   Members: 6,489   Active Members: 305
Welcome to our newest member, diederik.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Techonaut / Technonaut Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xantcha
    replied
    Thanks so much Cristina moriond ! Really appreciate the thoughtful advice on this.

With a slim case (one of those flexible ESR cases, includes cover but not a keyboard/apple pencil/other miscellany) the iPad looks to be about 8.15” long, 5.5” wide, 0.45” thick. Stacking with a Kindle adds another 0.35” or so of thickness (though that is of course a couple inches smaller length and width-wise…great to hear that things that smaller size do slot well into the top pocket on both the 30 and the 45).

Sounds like the 45 might be a good option, or else keeping the Kindle up top, getting a smaller notebook to go with it, and shifting the iPad to that mesh pocket inside the main opening if I go ahead with the 30 (I had totally forgotten that that pocket was an option). May just need to get one and try some sample packing options as the bag fills up.

Thank you for thinking through this with me!

Leave a comment:

• Cristina
    replied
    Ah yes thanks, I should have said my iPad Mini has a slim case on it and it only covers the back, it doesn’t have a cover or an Apple Pencil attached to it. On the T30 this iPad mini barely fits into the top pocket (couldn’t fit the A5 notebook too) and it doesn’t quite fit into the smaller side pocket. The 30 just isn’t quite as deep as the 45, and that narrows those pockets, so if you were thinking of the T30 I would consider the Synik30 instead.

Please feel free to post the dimensions of your iPad in its case or the height of all of your electronics stacked together and I can approximate a bit more closely.

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by moriond View Post
    Welcome to the forums @xantcha

For me, the natural place to access a Kindle Paperwhite and minor miscellaneous electronics in the Techonaut 30 would be the diagonal zipper pocket under the grab handle that is at the “top” of the bag when worn in backpack mode, but that’s not quite wide enough for easy access to an iPad Mini, nor are the pockets at either side. I can just fit an iPad Mini in hard case into those zippered openings, but it’s not convenient or workable if your main compartment is fully packed. (They might work for a T45, which I don’t have to try.) In an Aeronaut 30, I would just use the end pockets, which is where I always used to stash books.

The smaller outside side pocket is about sized to hold a 3D OC. The laptop compartment can take notebooks and iPads. Another option is the pocket on the inside flap of the U opening,

Hope someone has other suggestions.

moriond

ETA: Please note that the response about where you can easily put the iPad Mini may depend on whether you have it in a hard case — without the case my answer would be similar to @Cristina’s, and I can slide this into the other two openings with the case on — but it’s tight to get in.

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Welcome to the forums @xantcha
    Originally posted by xantcha View Post
    Hoping this is the right place for extremely specific Techonaut questions.

In particular, I’m curious about carrying smaller electronics in the Techonaut 30. I’m hoping to use it for both work travel (where I’d bring a laptop, as expected in the design) and personal travel, where I’d probably just bring a Kindle and iPad mini (with cases) as my electronics.

I currently use the Synapse 25, and have found that the central water bottle pocket is a perfect size to slip in a few small to mid size electronics (e.g 5.5-6 inches wide and 8 or so inches high) like those for extremely easy access and organization. A Kindle, an iPad mini, and a small legal pad or two fit really well in there. Then a mini water bottle (16oz, 6.5 inches high by 2.75 inches diameter) can be shifted over to one of the side pockets.

In the Techonaut, it doesn’t look like there’s any comparable easy access (yet protected) pockets for electronics in that smaller roughly 8 inches high by 5.5 inches wide range – I’m having some trouble finding specific pocket sizes and shapes on the site. Maybe the large water bottle pocket, though it doesn’t seem like there’s a similar vertically oriented (to avoid spilling) alternative place to shift a small water bottle to? Or just drop them in the laptop compartment even though they're small and let them float around at the bottom/fish around in there when I need to get them out? I know the bag is still at the pre order stage but curious if anyone has a similar use case or any thoughts on how they might plan to manage smaller devices so they're protected but accessible when on a plane/waiting for a bus/just generally needing to get at them without opening up the whole main compartment. Thank you!
    For me, the natural place to access a Kindle Paperwhite and minor miscellaneous electronics in the Techonaut 30 would be the diagonal zipper pocket under the grab handle that is at the “top” of the bag when worn in backpack mode, but that’s not quite wide enough for easy access to an iPad Mini, nor are the pockets at either side. I can just fit an iPad Mini in hard case into those zippered openings, but it’s not convenient or workable if your main compartment is fully packed. (They might work for a T45, which I don’t have to try.) In an Aeronaut 30, I would just use the end pockets, which is where I always used to stash books.

The smaller outside side pocket is about sized to hold a 3D OC. The laptop compartment can take notebooks and iPads. Another option is the pocket on the inside flap of the U opening,

Hope someone has other suggestions.

moriond

ETA: Please note that the response about where you can easily put the iPad Mini may depend on whether you have it in a hard case — without the case my answer would be similar to @Cristina’s, and I can slide this into the other two openings with the case on — but it’s tight to get in.
    Last edited by moriond; 08-30-2021, 07:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    and Welcome to the Forums xantcha !

Leave a comment:

• Cristina
    replied
    These are excellent questions. Your suspicion is correct that the Techonauts don’t have the same quick access capability that you’re used to on the Synapse, with three pockets instead of five.

The good news is that my iPad mini fit easily in the top pocket and in the toiletries/smaller side pocket of the T45. I was surprised to find that when I added a 1/2” thick A5 pad (very close to an iPad mini), they actually fit better in the top pocket than the smaller side pocket, particularly regarding the length. That still leaves you with the larger side pocket for your drink, regardless of which small pocket your particular combination of electronics fit into.

I am headed out the door but I can try more stuff later tonight for you.

Originally posted by xantcha View Post

In particular, I’m curious about carrying smaller electronics in the Techonaut 30. I’m hoping to use it for both work travel (where I’d bring a laptop, as expected in the design) and personal travel, where I’d probably just bring a Kindle and iPad mini (with cases) as my electronics.

I currently use the Synapse 25, and have found that the central water bottle pocket is a perfect size to slip in a few small to mid size electronics (e.g 5.5-6 inches wide and 8 or so inches high) like those for extremely easy access and organization. A Kindle, an iPad mini, and a small legal pad or two fit really well in there. Then a mini water bottle (16oz, 6.5 inches high by 2.75 inches diameter) can be shifted over to one of the side pockets.

In the Techonaut, it doesn’t look like there’s any comparable easy access (yet protected) pockets for electronics in that smaller roughly 8 inches high by 5.5 inches wide range – I’m having some trouble finding specific pocket sizes and shapes on the site. Maybe the large water bottle pocket, though it doesn’t seem like there’s a similar vertically oriented (to avoid spilling) alternative place to shift a small water bottle to? Or just drop them in the laptop compartment even though they're small and let them float around at the bottom/fish around in there when I need to get them out? I know the bag is still at the pre order stage but curious if anyone has a similar use case or any thoughts on how they might plan to manage smaller devices so they're protected but accessible when on a plane/waiting for a bus/just generally needing to get at them without opening up the whole main compartment. Thank you!
    Last edited by Cristina; 08-30-2021, 06:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• xantcha
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cristina
    replied
    Yes it does. It will even fit in the T30 but will encroach a bit on the bottom pocket if it’s full.
    Originally posted by organicfarmer View Post
    Can the Aeronaut 45 PCBP in backpack mode fit in main compartment of the Techonaut 45?

Since the WF large cube fits I suspect the answer is yes. Would make a nice complement to add some use cases.

Leave a comment:

• organicfarmer
    replied
    Can the Aeronaut 45 PCBP in backpack mode fit in main compartment of the Techonaut 45?

Since the WF large cube fits I suspect the answer is yes. Would make a nice complement to add some use cases.

Leave a comment:

• EBV
    replied
    That is some awesome news. Thank you Darcy !

Leave a comment:

• Surrealle
    replied
    Damn, good catch EBV, lol. You saved (almost) everyone's bags!

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by EBV View Post
    Maybe this is something that's already discussed but I couldn't find it in the thread. I have pre-ordered the Techonaut but noticed afterwards there are no O-rings at all in the main compartment, while there were 4 in the Aeronaut according to the specs. Could it be that after the preorder small things like this will be addressed and improved? If so, I'd rather wait. O-rings are a big part of how I organize my stuff.
    Originally posted by Surrealle View Post

I'm fairly new to the TB brand but I don't get the impression that they would change the style of a new bag very soon after issuing it, as that could be upsetting or discouraging for the "early adopters". Hopefully Darcy can chime in with more info though.
    Surrealle is correct that we don't typically make design changes to bags after releasing them.

This is an unusual case in that, looking back over our notes, it does seem there was the intention to add four O-rings to the main compartment of the Techonaut. We're looking into where that note was lost.

So here's what we're going to do: we'll add those four O-rings to all PPB bags, as well as all pre-order bags. That means that the only Techonauts that'll make their way out of the factory without those four O-rings are the samples that were sent to folks to review (including the bags sent to our volunteer moderators) so those will end up being very special/rare bags Or, in other words, anyone who pre-ordered a Techonaut will receive a bag with four O-rings in the main compartment.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Welcome to the Forums EBV !

That's a very good question on the o-rings... As Surrealle said, hopefully Darcy can discuss the thinking behind it and if it would be something that changes.

Leave a comment:

• Surrealle
    replied
    Originally posted by EBV View Post
    Maybe this is something that's already discussed but I couldn't find it in the thread. I have pre-ordered the Techonaut but noticed afterwards there are no O-rings at all in the main compartment, while there were 4 in the Aeronaut according to the specs. Could it be that after the preorder small things like this will be addressed and improved? If so, I'd rather wait. O-rings are a big part of how I organize my stuff.
    I'm fairly new to the TB brand but I don't get the impression that they would change the style of a new bag very soon after issuing it, as that could be upsetting or discouraging for the "early adopters". Hopefully Darcy can chime in with more info though.
    Last edited by Surrealle; 08-23-2021, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EBV
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GrussGott
    replied
    Originally posted by SpencerS View Post

Hey, appreciate you sharing the love! If anyone has any questions and/or videos they'd like to see about the T30, I'm all ears. My next one will be for my trip to Portland and one comparing it to the SG33.
    Hey Spencer - it'd be great if you'd do a video (or heavily photoed post) with an intensive investigation into all of the pockets & the zippered lower section (i.e, what the space is like zipped up, what it's like unzipped). For example, shoving different things of some recognizable size into all of the pockets including your hands, and then showing and even measuring the main compartment internal size zipped/unzipper. How about the handle side internal pocket liners *inside* the bag?? The TB videos show people shoving things under the liner inside the main compartment ... really? What's that look like?

If you stuff the side / top pockets full, what's that look like inside the bag?

Tons of details you could go into there!!

It'd also be nice to see how the T30 carries packed by the various handles and straps; i.e., does it tilt to one side when hand carried? How does the backpanel fabric feel against your clothes when carried as a shoulder bag? Does it chaff? What's it like in BP mode? How about the top handle? What's it like loaded to carry by the top handle?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X