Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,525   Posts: 187,787   Members: 6,487   Active Members: 306
Welcome to our newest member, cguan17.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Techonaut / Technonaut Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moriond View Post
    Darcy What size Techonaut (T30 or T45) and what size person in the picture?
    All of the photos shared so far are of the Techonaut 30! Good question: I'll note that in the blog post.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Techonaut looks great so far! Excellent fabric options!

In that lovely shoulder-strap-carry photo, are those bigger strap keepers on the Absolute Strap?
      Mine bust off of the Synik 22's straps sometimes because I am short and reduce the backpack straps to their smallest length. I know it's an outlier of use, but larger strap keepers to work with 1"+ straps would also help me!

I would be very interested to know if test users (all y'all) found a difference between the Techonaut 45 with the frame and without it - the internal frame on the Synik 22 isn't a huge upgrade for me, because that size backpack is perfect for my back. (I keep it in because I want the backpack to stand upright in classrooms when I've taken the laptop out.)
      But the internal frame for the Aeronaut 45 has been more useful if I'm wearing it as a backpack for at least an hour, because it's a big bag and I'm short. Without that frame, the Aeronaut feels more like it's trying to crumple and pull me down onto my back - the frame keeps the back up closer to my shoulders.
      ETA : Would the 30 and the 45 Techonauts need different size internal frames or are the back panels similar enough sizes? Would either existing Aeronaut frame fit, or have a design be easily modified? (Production costs and timeframes.)
      Last edited by marbenais; 07-20-2021, 07:47 PM. Reason: added more questions and fixed grammar

Comment

As somebody who was in the market for an A30 previously, I'm likely to be preordering the Techonaut. Very excited about the bag!

Comment

I had been hoping for ages for a 35 L travel bag. 45 L is too big and heavy, 30 L a little too small. However I assumed for sure that the techonaut used in the pictures was a 45 L - it looks so big!

I wish we knew what the Trinity was going to look like, but the techonaut is looking really good right now! I think removing one of the end pockets was a good idea as it allows more flexibility for packing in the main compartment.

Comment

I cannot wait to see closer up photos of the external pockets. Very intrigued that the description says that two of the external pockets will hold at least one water bottle… is the end pocket counted in that or does that refer to both the top and front pockets? Excited to find out.

Comment

I'm very disappointed to see that the laptop compartment has a paracord zipper pull instead of a proper metal zipper pull tab. This could've been the travel bag I really wanted - Edgeless straps, breathable back panel, laptop compartment and external water bottle pocket, plus the new blue halcyon. I'll most likely access the laptop compartment frequently and that paracord zipper pull would seriously annoy me ☹️
              Constellation/Northwest Sky Synapse 19, Constellation Guide's Edition Synik 22, Navy Parapack/Steel Parapack Synik 30, Navy Road Buddy 36, everything Acuity

Comment

Fascinating to read about the evolution of the design.

I am not a customer for the Techonaut (have A30 and A45); the tech features that some find absolutely necessary are of no use to me as a traveler. However, if the bag had come in around 35-40L, I'd be buying one anyway because the A30, while great for most trips, is a tad small for extended journeys and, because I habitually pack light, I simply cannot fill the A45 -- which is a good thing.

Hope you TB folks have a new and outrageously popular travel bag. Cheers!

Comment

Wow, I think this could open up my holy-bag grail!

✓ 2 bags ...
                  ✓ Of the same design!
                  ✓ One bigger, one smaller, i.e., one 30, one 45
                  ✓ Completely switchable on which is a backpack & which is "other" - in the passport line or for long hauls big goes backpack, small goes hand-carry
                  ✓ Other can be shoulder carry or handle side carry / hand-carry (i.e., TS over the S30)
                  ✓ Smaller size fits under a standard airline seat
                  ✓ Larger fits in most US overheads
                  ✓ External materials are durable & scuff-proof enough for bag-checking when required (1050d!)
                  ✓ External materials are smooth enough not to ruin my clothes (1050d! )

On first view, my only wish for the bag (at least the 30L) would be to put the zipper on the seam in this pic so it could act like more of a backpack while still being mostly clamshell:

Click image for larger version  Name:	techonaut-1_1728x.jpg?v=1626466627.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.0 KB ID:	334184

One huge feature I haven't seen mentioned yet is how great SECURITY is with this design!!

At first the cyclops top handle looked to bit odd to my eye until I saw the full pics - this design gives you an almost default ability to stow the bag in an overhead with the all the zippers to the rear, i.e., for a thief to quickly unzip the bag and reach in & rezip would be VERY awkward without pulling the bag out (another reason why I love beefy zippers).

In working for an airline for 10 years I can say that 90% of overhead theft IME was due to the quick unzip - and the good thieves ALWAYS rezip bags (otherwise you'll notice before deplaning/detraining). Locks don't matter because the zips are usually easily defeated with a ball point pen (how do these zips fair against a pen??), then the thief uses the lock to easily grab & re-zip the bag (and the lock itself is like a visual cue: hey thieves I have valuable stuff!). We've had multiple bags right next to ours broken into but, so far **knock, knock** not ours. Packing cubes & pouches help too because nothing to easily grab.

Anyway, just my experience, but whenever I travel, all zips to the rear so to open the bag or re-close a zipper the thief has to pull the bag out ... the TN30/45 design easily has all zips down and to the rear, just by how it's designed!

Pretty excited! If it's 1050d coyote or other colors I might have to get one of each size!
                  Last edited by GrussGott; 07-20-2021, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by loz33k View Post
                    I think removing one of the end pockets was a good idea as it allows more flexibility for packing in the main compartment.
                    I agree. I just wish the remaining end pocket was on the “top”, rather than the bottom. It would make it easier to access things when the bag is under the seat in front of you on an airplane, or sitting on the ground a lot easier. I frequently use a Snake Charmer or HLT on that pocket on my A30. Perhaps it wouldn’t work with the grab handle or another reason, but it does fine on my A30. The side pockets (especially the one opposite the grab handle) surely can’t be overloaded or it would make the bag unable to sit on it’s side when used as a duffel. It looks like the water bottle (larger?) pocket is on the side with the grab handle so that likely isn’t an issue.

I’m kinda torn on this one. I use my A30 all the time and was planning on buying more for my family for short trips and their flexibility. I’ll probably order a Techonaut and see it in person before deciding which would work better for them, but the exterior pockets give me a bit of pause considering the anticipated usage of this bag.

Comment

Any thoughts on price?

Comment

my packing style has evolved from my using an aeronaut 45 fo 3 years and having 2 end pockets... 1 side with non tb clear toiletry packing cubes (1 with liquids that roughly meets the tsa 311 guidelines and 1 with dry stuff). the 2nd end pocket has 2 tb clear quarter packing cubes with all my miscellaneous travel stuff... chargers, tape, scissors, paracord, laundry powder, extra headphones, pens, notebook, 1st aid, etc. Ive grown to reaaallly like this arrangement with all the end pocket stuff easily accessible, I don't think I ever want to re-learn a new packing style, so aeronaut is still my goto for anything from a day to a month away. maybe the T45 has 2 end pockets 🤷‍♂️?

Comment

Not sure it’s been covered here, but is there a luggage pass through? As I’ve gotten…ahem…more mature, it’s great to have that option.
                          Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post

I agree. I just wish the remaining end pocket was on the “top”, rather than the bottom. It would make it easier to access things when the bag is under the seat in front of you on an airplane, or sitting on the ground a lot easier. I frequently use a Snake Charmer or HLT on that pocket on my A30. Perhaps it wouldn’t work with the grab handle or another reason, but it does fine on my A30. The side pockets (especially the one opposite the grab handle) surely can’t be overloaded or it would make the bag unable to sit on it’s side when used as a duffel. It looks like the water bottle (larger?) pocket is on the side with the grab handle so that likely isn’t an issue.

I’m kinda torn on this one. I use my A30 all the time and was planning on buying more for my family for short trips and their flexibility. I’ll probably order a Techonaut and see it in person before deciding which would work better for them, but the exterior pockets give me a bit of pause considering the anticipated usage of this bag.
                            My guess is that we will get some more feeback from the TB folks regarding design choices. I will say that regardless of whether you travel for business or just pleasure we are all hauling a lot of tech with us these days and I appreciate that they recognize this and created a dedicated tech area that is accessible without opening the whole pack up. I am surprised by the single bottom pocket. I think I would have liked a small quick access pocket at the top for dumping keys, wallets, sunglasses, masks, etc. into and as you say to be able to access it when the bag is under the seat. Let's wait and see what they say about why they made the choices they did. I expect we will understand and appreciate their approach.

Comment

Originally posted by WineCountry View Post

My guess is that we will get some more feeback from the TB folks regarding design choices. I will say that regardless of whether you travel for business or just pleasure we are all hauling a lot of tech with us these days and I appreciate that they recognize this and created a dedicated tech area that is accessible without opening the whole pack up. I am surprised by the single bottom pocket. I think I would have liked a small quick access pocket at the top for dumping keys, wallets, sunglasses, masks, etc. into and as you say to be able to access it when the bag is under the seat. Let's wait and see what they say about why they made the choices they did. I expect we will understand and appreciate their approach.
                              Honestly, I slide my iPad or laptop down the backpack strap retention area and it does just fine for me. Sure’s it’s not as fancy as the access on my Synik, but it gets the job done. Having a handy access pocket for charging cables, earbuds, wallet, keys, etc. (and one that is easily accessible from the top of the bag) is more important to me than a zipper to keep the laptop sleeve closed. Flip the pocket from the bottom to the top and this bag is probably perfect from a layout perspective…though I assume probably not ideal from a load-carrying perspective considering the types of things that will be put into the pocket.

I guess for me, I want this bag to be more of a bag that I can carry hands free through airports and less a true backpack (I love my Synik for that). Ideal for a trip less than a week with no other checked baggage or carry on. Without having seen the bag in person, or more detailed here, I’m guessing the Aeronaut will continue to be a better fit for me personally. It’s great to see alternatives, but I hope this doesn’t mean the end of the Aeronaut. I’m sure sales figures will dictate direction.

Comment

This is a fantastic looking bag so far. Crossing my fingers for Original Halcyon.

Just based off the limited photos, how do you all feel about the Techonaut as an EDC? I don't own a A30 but I certainly wouldn't EDC it. But getting rid of one of the end pockets makes me think it is definitely EDC-able.

Comment

Working...
                                X