Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,490   Posts: 187,416   Members: 6,445   Active Members: 334
Welcome to our newest member, Ironaztek.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Techonaut / Technonaut Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ayazgood View Post
    Definitely buying a T45 to replace my A45. I will greatly prefer the laptop option, mesh back, single end pocket, exterior pocketing, zipper-less shoulder strap storage, edgeless straps, and less sticky zippers. The only possible downside is that it looks a bit less formal and slightly more back-packy, but I really don't think anyone cares about that anymore, even in the most formal settings.

My biggest problem is answering the age old question of halcyon versus 1050 ballistic. On the one hand, the halcyon is 10.4 oz lighter and has more give (making it more accommodating). On the other hand, the 1050 ballistic is indestructible, doesn't show marks easily, holds its shape better (making it easier to pack), is less prone to showing the outlines of its contents, and will probably look a little nicer in more formal settings. On the other hand, the old pictures of the hero's journey in halcyon look pretty good, as does the Night Wood color (too bad they used NW sky for the interior). Would love to see a video and/or better pictures of a night wood halcyon version in use.

Question - Does the interior zipper of the end pocket work like the A45, where it just releases the pouch to be partly shoved up out of the way, or is it a flap that can opens up the end entirely?
    Worth noting when making a fabric choice: it's very likely the Techonaut will stand up on its own when packed, providing you've also packed stuff in the bottom zippered pocket. And that's more likely if you choose 1050d or 525d, and less likely if you choose 1000d or Halcyon.

The zipper end pocket can be unzipped from the main compartment, resulting in one large interior space.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by aungrl View Post

Wanted to log back on to say that things are working perfectly this morning from the iPad. I did a hard reboot and all is well! LOVE THIS BAG!
      Yay! Thanks for letting us know.

Originally posted by trex View Post
      Has this bag been sent out to any reviewers so there's a possibility to a more thorough video of the bag?.. I also want to see more pictures of people wearing the 45l so I can get a sense of just how big it is.. I think the size is the hardest decision.. 30 is a bit too small.. and 45 looks huge.

Night walk color looks nice, but would like some more real life pics of it.
      Due to some materials delays, the Techonaut review samples are being sent out just this week — so, later than usual. Some folks might post reviews or first thoughts as early as this week — we’ll see.

We’ll also be taking more photos of folks of various heights and sizes wearing the Techonaut in the next 3-4 weeks.

Originally posted by trex View Post

I really hope they make a similar video with the Techonaut.. it looks like it has more rounded corners so it will look more like a backpack than a duffel
      It’s on our list! See note above: hoping to be able to share that w/everyone in the next 3-4 weeks or so.

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post

The "pocket" that our video-making crew used for their shoes is actually the lining of the smallest of the three external quick-access pockets. So, putting a pair of shoes in there is more of a hack than anything else. Sometimes the construction or lining of various designs creates these kindof hidden, unintentional pockets that folks like to make use of. It's all about what works best for you.

If you choose to tuck something in there, know that there won't be much space in the external access of the pocket: could fit a Nik's Wallet in there but not much else.
        Makes sense! Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post
          One TN45 change I'm hoping to both verify & experience is if a large WF/TS packing cube fits the TN45's main compartment in partition-zipped mode
          Replying again given the new info from the FAQ: the TN45 main compartment with partition zipped is roughly 17.5x14 (x7) inches, which should be plenty big enough to hold the WF Large at 17.5x11.8 (x3.1) inches.
          That does suggest that the WF Large may be quite snug in the TN30 main compartment (partition zipped) of roughly 16x11 (x6) inches.

Comment

Hi Darcy - question on the TN45 pre-order ... how "open" will it be in terms of stocking?

i.e., the pre-order FAQ says: "We offer a new design for pre-order for one week or until the first pre-order batch sells out."

So wondering if you expect the TN30/45s to "sell out" quickly?
            Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

I read a comment on Facebook that there may be some pre-production models that will be sent out earlier in a randomized lottery. Is this still true and are there any more details you can provide (how many units are available, are they only in specific colors, etc)?
              Last edited by hellomatt; 07-26-2021, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post
                Hi Darcy - question on the TN45 pre-order ... how "open" will it be in terms of stocking?

i.e., the pre-order FAQ says: "We offer a new design for pre-order for one week or until the first pre-order batch sells out."

So wondering if you expect the TN30/45s to "sell out" quickly?
                That’s a question that is difficult to answer. When we’ve made predictions in the past and haven't always been right. That said, we don’t expect the pre-order to sell out quickly — if it did, we could open a second pre-order. Beyond that, we’re wrestling with a foam shortage on the supplier side that we hope will be resolved soon but could delay the Techonaut being stocked for the first time post pre-order.

Originally posted by hellomatt View Post
                I read a comment on Facebook that there may be some pre-production models that will be sent out earlier in a randomized lottery. Is this still true and are there any more details you can provide (how many units are available, are they only in specific colors, etc)?
                That’s still true! I believe it’s in the low hundreds and there's some of each color available. Here's how it'd work: we'd email the folks who win the lottery a week or two after pre-order closes. They could choose to receive PPB (pre-production batch) bag -- and remember, these are 100% final, finished bags, it's just that we make a first batch in the factory prior to offering a pre-order -- or wait for a pre-order bag. (Some folks like to wait so they can add restocked items to their held pre-order and save on shipping costs.) At that same time, we'd post here so everyone knows when we emailed folks -- that way if you didn't get an email, you'll know you weren't chosen by Countron on in the randomized lottery. We did this for the Synik pre-order and people seemed to appreciate it.

Comment

I took a leap and preordered a TN45 in the new Night Walk. I’m excited, but also hoping I don’t regret not getting one in 1050d while they are available.

What did you go with?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                    I took a leap and preordered a TN45 in the new Night Walk. I’m excited, but also hoping I don’t regret not getting one in 1050d while they are available.

What did you go with?
                    Funny, I ordered a 30 in Night Walk and then changed my mind to a 1050 ballistic, lol. I really love the new color but I think I want to wait until the Night Walk shows up in the smaller bags that are more suited to halcyon (hopefully a Pilot will be one of them).

Comment

What did you go with?
                      Ordered the same! Love the color and love halcyon.

Comment

I went with a T45 in Night Walk. Very excited. I also really love the 1050 and was very tempted by Steel/Wasabi, but I couldn’t resist the pics of the Night Walk. Hopefully the halcyon holds up over time! I’ve never had a travel bag in it before.

Comment

What did you go with?
                          I ordered the T30 in Taiga for my husband and Night Walk for me…so excited!

Comment

T30 in Night Walk! I felt like Halcyon is good for my intended use — smooth to slide under airplane seats, and light to carry on my back (hopefully never have to check it in!). I feel like 1050D might be overkill for something I'm hoping will primarily be on my back.
                            Last edited by hellomatt; 07-27-2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

T45 in Steel. So pumped.

Comment

Since my beloved Original Halcyon does, indeed, seem to be no longer available in larger bags, I ordered the next best thing...black halcyon/coyote TN30. FWIW, for those of you with concerns about halcyon as an exterior fabric on travel bags, I've had my A45 and A30 for years now, and - other than for the past 15 months - they were subjected to pretty heavy use under airplane seats, shoved into bins, thrown into car trunks, lugged into hotels, etc., and they've held up beautifully. YMMV, or course!

Comment

Working...
                                X