Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,530   Posts: 187,825   Members: 6,493   Active Members: 292
Welcome to our newest member, dcaisson.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight per Volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight per Volume

This morning, I read a reddit post on weight per volume of various bags. I thought it was interesting and I quickly made the same chart for various TB bags (quickly means potential errors). Surprisingly, the one with the highest value (in gram/liter, or the heaviest?) is the Small Cafe Bag. The lowest number goes to the DLBP. I used the 525 ballistic material for all the bags (excluding detachable straps). You can consider g/L as density or "normalized" weight. Probably this data doe not mean anything, but I just thought it's interesting to share.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9316129B-529E-4AA7-AFDB-5BCA5D97D7FA.jpeg
Views:	548
Size:	610.8 KB
ID:	333947

Ouch. My beloved Synik 22 got trounced; third worst.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomGault View Post
      Ouch. My beloved Synik 22 got trounced; third worst.
      I'm not surprised, mine turns into a brick when I load it up. There's a lot of material in that bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrealle View Post

I'm not surprised, mine turns into a brick when I load it up. There's a lot of material in that bag.
        Yeah, plus the frame. I was initially wavering on the S22 v. S25 based on weight, but then I realized once the frame sheet is added to the S25, they're basically equal weight.

Comment

Interesting how similar the ratios are with the Pilot vs Co-Pilot, and also with the Tri-Star vs Western Flyer.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomGault View Post

Yeah, plus the frame. I was initially wavering on the S22 v. S25 based on weight, but then I realized once the frame sheet is added to the S25, they're basically equal weight.
            I'm short so I like the smaller S22 for daily carry, plus the clamshell is awesome. But I have a couple S25s as well, they're great bags for day trips.

Comment

I've looked at this kind of thing too! I'm very weight-conscious, but one thing I've noticed is that certain heavier bags, such as the Syniks, also provide enough structure so that when I'm bringing a laptop along with additional items, they carry better. Alternatively, if I have a lighter load, that's wasted weight and I'll find a less complicated bag, such as the Paragon. And in defense of the Small Cafe Bag, even if it was filled with bricks I can't imagine it would be too heavy!
              ----
              All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
              Edmund Burke

Comment

I have started using the SCB instead of the SK. With the same load out the SCB feels lighter and better to me. The SK was started to feel like a brick when I carried it.

Comment

Working...
                X