Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,493   Posts: 187,443   Members: 6,454   Active Members: 335
Welcome to our newest member, bored_and_agitated.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Website!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The images on the Collections page (https://www.tombihn.com/collections) resize with the browser window, which is fine when I have Firefox in full screen. When I only have it across have the screen (my normal use case), the images end up with a lot of vertical exageration (see screen capture for example). If I didn't own a brain bag and a cadet, I might have assumed this was really the height:width ratio of those bags.

Comment

This was originally posted by egypturnash on the Tecnonaut discussion thread and it was suggested to be moved to the New Website! discussion thread. I've copied and pasted because I'm also having difficulty with scrolling on the new TB website.

New site design's scrollbar is completely invisible on Safari/OSX.

Yesterday, 05:26 PM

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 7.22.13 PM.png Views:	67 Size:	1.4 KB ID:	334354

I am thinking of getting some new bags so I am looking at the site on my computer, so as to easily have several tabs open while I ponder what'll work for my needs. The above screengrab is of the scrollbar on the side of my browser window, with the division between "handle" and "bar" around halfway down the image. Can you tell where the scroll handle is inside the bar? I sure can't. Please undo whatever you're doing to make the scrollbar nigh-invisible. Thanks.

Went to bigger font for my input. On my imac using either Firefox or Safari the only way I can scroll easily is to start by putting the cursor on very right edge of screen across from the blue bar towards top of page. Holding the cursor down I can then scroll freely without having to stay on outer edge of page. If I go below across from the blue bar area (example across from word Cart) I can no longer scroll freely.

Comment

I'm running Big Sur 11.4 on a new iMac, and I found that some websites were just weird in their behavior. Then I somehow discovered that I had deleted Javascript some time ago due to Mac gurus criticizing it. I installed it on the new iMac and the weird website behaviors disappeared completely. Check your Mac to see if you have Javascript installed.

Comment

Along with the new website, by any chance did you change the newsletter software? The newsletter no longer changes width to fit my message window. I'm using ProtonMail's web interface. Happy to give any additional debugging information if that helps.

Example:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	tbnewsletter.PNG
Views:	301
Size:	932.3 KB
ID:	334387
          Everyday carry (2 mile walk to work) is an SG23. Fantastic bag.

Comment

Subscribing to be notified when bags come back into stock (e.g. the Aeronaut 45 Packing Cubes), times out. I disabled my ad blocker and Pi-Hole (so you might want to investigate if you can get those requests unblocked, because it would be one thing if I couldn't see it, but it's another problem if I can see it and clicking does nothing!), but now in the network tab of developer tools I can see it never gets a response.
            Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Café Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Comment

Thanks for the continued feedback, everyone! While we haven’t had time to respond until now, we’ve been monitoring this thread and pushing broken stuff/critical issues to our developers, as well as making a list of changes for the next edition of the site.

EDITED: we just fixed that weird fun-house mirror collections page issue. Now, if you right-click Shop in the header of the website and open a new tab, it'll point to the "Shop All" category.

Here’s some of the things we believe are now fixed:
              • Sewn in Seattle / BIHN Guarantee section of the product page has been moved to the bottom
              • Fixing the formatting of specs (see the Techonaut pages for an example of how it should be; working on fixing this across all products)
              • Bumped up font sizes
              • YouTube video embeds work now, in addition to Vimeo
              • Duplicated search results fixed; search results improved overall
              • Lots of account page stuff: removed last line between line items and address, added space between the bottom of an address and the next order, orders lines paginate at 6 per page (fixed on live), orders lines show variant title + SKU information, reorder button works properly (note: this button seems to just be something our shopping cart offers?! not sure if it’s useful to anyone here!), updated table layout to better show quantity and price.
              • See the Techonaut pages for an example of the new way product descriptions will be displayed: there’s the TLDR and then a features section with photos.
              • The website should now work fine on older versions of Safari
              • Newsletter sign-up in the footer confirms you’re subscribed.
              • Shop Pay and Apple Pay issues fixed; now showing up.
              • Firefox issues should be fixed ~ can you confirm Poultry
              • All items load on a collection (no more pagination)
              • Mega-menu categories are mirrored on the category page navigation
              And here’s some of what we’re working on for the next mini-site-update:
              • Adding back the “Recently Viewed Bags” drop-down; it’ll probably live on the Search page.
              • Product page color selection drawer and whether to change it — this is a bit of a complicated one. Some folks find it easier to use the solution offered by the new site, some folks prefer the way it was on the old site. The crazy number of colors we offer plus all of the content on the product pages make it something we need to take some time and think about.
              • I like the dark mode suggestion: am asking about this
              • Not a website thing really, but for new product photos that show multiple sizes, we’ll add text clarifying which size is which.
              • There’s a lot more on this list but I’ll leave it at that for now!
              We also made a list of what everyone shared here that they like about the new site — it’s important for us to keep track of that as well. Here's some of that feedback:
              • Site looks clean and modern
              • A much-needed update
              • Liking the updated Who We Are and History pages
              • Blog search results are better
              • Category filtering is helpful
              Thank you (once again!) to all of you for sharing your feedback, and of course feel free to continue to do so if anything new comes up or if there’s something we thought we fixed/improved but didn’t. We welcome it all: constructive criticism, frustrations, appreciations.

I also want to thank the crew here at TB who’ve been sharing feedback, reporting issues, working on proofing and adding content to the new site, as well as our developers who’ve been super responsive and able to help us get stuff fixed right away. Everyone involved is proud of the work they’re doing and wants the experience of our site to be a great one, and we’ll no doubt be continuing to make improvements over time.

Originally posted by G42 View Post
              and voted as 'Most Dangerous Button' is the new Add All Wishlist items!!!! Congratulations on your win!

I am so confused about that one: I thought it existed on the old site but I guess it didn’t! The hope there is that it could help on release days when there’s stuff that might sell out quick… someone could add three items to the list, click “Add All”, use Shop Pay or Apple Pay and hopefully checkout speedily!

Originally posted by epeterson View Post
              Along with the new website, by any chance did you change the newsletter software? The newsletter no longer changes width to fit my message window. I'm using ProtonMail's web interface. Happy to give any additional debugging information if that helps.
              We’re looking into this! We don’t think it’s an issue for other email interfaces and we don’t see an issue with the template we’re using. Hmm. Would you mind forwarding the newsletter you received to [email protected]

Originally posted by RosemaryOrchard View Post
              Subscribing to be notified when bags come back into stock (e.g. the Aeronaut 45 Packing Cubes), times out. I disabled my ad blocker and Pi-Hole (so you might want to investigate if you can get those requests unblocked, because it would be one thing if I couldn't see it, but it's another problem if I can see it and clicking does nothing!), but now in the network tab of developer tools I can see it never gets a response.
              Also looking into this one: we can’t replicate it (yet) so it’s a bit of a puzzle. Onward…!
              Last edited by Darcy; 07-30-2021, 09:39 AM.
              Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Oh! One more website update that's in the works: we're looking at apps that'd do a better job of managing blog comments. We're getting lots of great questions and feedback in response to recent posts, but no one knows when we respond to their comment unless they go back and reload the blog comments.

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

I really like the new/updated layout/functionality of the Techonaut pages
                  I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                    I really like the new/updated layout/functionality of the Techonaut pages
                    I'm glad! Our plan is to, over time, transition the other pages to that format, so everyone else: speak now or forever hold your peace!

Isn't anyone going to miss my incredibly long text-only product descriptions?! <-- I am feeling limited by the emojis I can select. Speaking of: the Forum makeover is underway, and part of that will be a fuller suite of emojis.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                      [*]Firefox issues should be fixed ~ can you confirm Poultry
                      FireFix is working just fine now, but I'm having issues with elderly Safari (11.1.2) again, after they seemed to go away.

If I do the following in both Firefox and Safari:

Go to www.tombihn.com
                      Click on Shop
                      Click on 7/29 Restock
                      Cick on the picture of the Synik

the resulting page, on Safari, has a big chunk of white space between the tab titles (Images & Video, Description, etc), and the "Full Description". On Firefox, that white space is filled with pictures and "TLDR".

I thought that clicking on a tab title might help, but it's still white space.

Comment

One issue I noticed this week: I ordered a Techonaut on Wednesday and was able to use Apple Pay on the first page, as an express checkout option. On Thursday, I ordered a few accessories and wanted to make sure the "add to held order" option was selected so I went through the whole checkout flow only to find no Apple Pay option on the final page. It's a minor annoyance, but my cash-back percentage is affected by whether it goes through as Apple Pay or just another card.

I've seen this issue at a few other sites as well. Is there some weird Apple rule that Apple Pay can only be an option upfront but not on the final payment page? Or is it just an oversight?

Comment

Originally posted by drobeson View Post
                          One issue I noticed this week: I ordered a Techonaut on Wednesday and was able to use Apple Pay on the first page, as an express checkout option. On Thursday, I ordered a few accessories and wanted to make sure the "add to held order" option was selected so I went through the whole checkout flow only to find no Apple Pay option on the final page. It's a minor annoyance, but my cash-back percentage is affected by whether it goes through as Apple Pay or just another card.

I've seen this issue at a few other sites as well. Is there some weird Apple rule that Apple Pay can only be an option upfront but not on the final payment page? Or is it just an oversight?
                          Agreed, I miss the convenience of Apple Pay as well. I hope it's just a glitch and not a permanent change.

Comment

I also have no scrollbar on the new site on Safari on the Mac. My system settings are to show scrollbars always, but it looks like the Tom Bihn site must be overriding that? On this forum site, on the other hand, the scrollbar is totally normal.

On Firefox I do have scrollbars, but the "handle" is almost invisible. Again, the forum site is normal.

Comment

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but when you choose any of the options to SHOP and get the scrolling page of items (set to Details or minimal), some of the items don't have a main photo.

Instead they show a tiny row of thumbnails of all the photos.
                              If you hover over the item, one of the large photos appears, but the default appearance is the tiny stuff.

It's happening at least on: wheelchair/stroller straps; sketchbook & pen; padded hip belt pocket; messenger stabilizers; beaver transfer bag; road buddy lash straps; V1 mask; & Aeronaut padded hip belt
                              I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post

I'm glad! Our plan is to, over time, transition the other pages to that format, so everyone else: speak now or forever hold your peace!

Isn't anyone going to miss my incredibly long text-only product descriptions?! <-- I am feeling limited by the emojis I can select. Speaking of: the Forum makeover is underway, and part of that will be a fuller suite of emojis.
                                Oh, I like the long text product descriptions, I have to keep scrolling up and down on the new layout. But I am usually not the majority on design opinions.

Comment

Working...
                                X