New Blog Posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Blog Posts

For those who don't subscribe to email notifications* of new blog posts and aren't on social media, we'll post the links here!

*To subscribe and receive an email notification of new blog posts, scroll to the bottom of the blog: there's a red sign-up box.

Two new blog posts today:

Zipper Updates

Thoughts on Feedback

Comment

Very glad to see that the Sidekick will get the old strap attachment style back! I’ve been wanting a ballistic one but have been holding off because of this.

Comment

Enjoyed reading the post on feedback. As a software designer, I'm used to working with feedback and iterating on products. It's nice to hear and see so many of those same principles in your work too — it's so great to see how your products have evolved and adapted over time (with many standing the test of time, too!), while retaining your vision and identity.

Comment

Originally posted by loma View Post
          Very glad to see that the Sidekick will get the old strap attachment style back! I’ve been wanting a ballistic one but have been holding off because of this.
          What was the old sidekick attachment?

I'm very excited about the DLBC news. I returned the DLBC & went with a MB primarily because of the attachment points. Can't wait to add the new DLBC to the collection.

Comment

Originally posted by dmoneysong View Post

What was the old sidekick attachment?

I'm very excited about the DLBC news. I returned the DLBC & went with a MB primarily because of the attachment points. Can't wait to add the new DLBC to the collection.
            The previous attachment points were at the ends of the bag - the way the current Design Lab version of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag are set up. The offset front & back attachment points were implemented to avoid the zipper.

I prefer the end points on the SE, SK, PCSB, DLBC - because I like to use the swivel carabiners to hook the bags onto the seat back pocket on planes.

Some people prefer the offset attachment points because they find it minimizes/prevents the bags from flipping the way they load & carry them.
            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post

The previous attachment points were at the ends of the bag - the way the current Design Lab version of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag are set up. The offset front & back attachment points were implemented to avoid the zipper.

I prefer the end points on the SE, SK, PCSB, DLBC - because I like to use the swivel carabiners to hook the bags onto the seat back pocket on planes.

Some people prefer the offset attachment points because they find it minimizes/prevents the bags from flipping the way they load & carry them.
              Having bought only used bags at the start, I didn't know there was actually a difference in the attachment points. That said, I prefer the offset ones on my DLBC and PCSB when carrying them crossbody, as it doesn't bunch up in the middle. I do like the end point PCSB for seat back hanging though.

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post

Had to do a search because I was still confused; the SK I own (current gen) has attachment points on the side. Turns out the SK used to have the triangular attachment points. It was then transitioned to the current gatekeeper strap. So then is Tom Bihn saying that they're going back to the triangular attachment points and getting rid of the gatekeeper strap?

Comment

Had to do a search because I was still confused; the SK I own (current gen) has attachment points on the side. Turns out the SK used to have the triangular attachment points. It was then transitioned to the current gatekeeper strap. So then is Tom Bihn saying that they're going back to the triangular attachment points and getting rid of the gatekeeper strap?
                  Sorry, good clarification. Some bags went to offset, some also went to gatekeeper vs clips.

We probably need to see what TB does for each bag.

ETA: if/when the Side Kick goes back to the clips vs gatekeepers, I want one in Night Walk! and Taiga!
                  Last edited by G42; 07-23-2021, 08:47 AM.
                  I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

So then is Tom Bihn saying that they're going back to the triangular attachment points and getting rid of the gatekeeper strap?
                    That’s what I was assuming/hoping at least. Can’t think of anything else it could mean.

Comment

New Blog post:

First Look At The New Techonaut Travel Backpack

Comment

I just love Thoughts on Feedback, I presume Darcy wrote the post, I am going to give feedback on Thoughts on Feedback by suggesting Darcy adds her name at the beginning or the end of the article.

This is such a dense, as in full of great points and thoughtful article, that it will need a post, just to do it justice.

The Techonaut, is full Wow Factor(s).

First, it is streamlined, as in more aerodynamic, more curved than its cousin the Aeronaut.

Second, it is gorgeous. More later, because it is late.

Comment

On Zippers

TB Crew says: "Though, to be fair, we can't credit this switch entirely to the RC zippers: we now believe our decision to change those attachment points to prevent wear on the zipper of those particular bags was a bit overboard given there were only a few instances of that resulting in an issue."

I have always believed that, a few people, got together to irritate both Tom Bihn Inc and, its customers, by pretending they had an issue with the zipper, which coincidentally is the main bag part that is under warranty that could, for some reason, need replacement.

The only reason that come to mind are incidents, like a luggage bag (Aeronaut, Tristar, Western Flyer...) with locking zipper, accidentally shut by a toddler, who got a hold of a combination lock or, your college bound relative who left with the keys for your bag's lock instead of his/hers/theirs

Or accidents, when a TB bag owner's found that her/his/theirs checked bag had been dragged under the wheels of a luggage cart or stuck somewhere, between the checking counter and the plane's cargo area, where it could suffer significant damage.

I own one of the first production Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, it has been used as a Shoulder Bag, once.

Otherwise, it became a zipper compartment for the Swift, a Packing Cube in all my travels with the Brain Bag, the Aeronaut, the Synapse or the Large Original Shop Bag.

It is also a project bag around the house, which get unceremoniously moved around, stuffed, unstuffed, with the zipper closed, but mostly open.

After all this years, it looks brand new

Comment

MikeV How about doing a thread per blog post? I think that would facilitate more discussion since there wouldn’t be multiple overlapping conversations.

Comment

We think that's a good idea, loma! We'll post a new thread for each blog post

Comment

Working...
                              X