Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,580   Posts: 188,312   Members: 6,539   Active Members: 284
Welcome to our newest member, tam017.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Le Grand Derrière - First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Le Grand Derrière - First Impressions

As I was getting ready to leave to work, the postman came in with my LGD, which is a great way to begin my day (by the way, USPS is great for shipping to Canada).

I opened it, clipped the extension, tried it on and... I was whelmed. Thing is, when they said that the LGD wasn't meant/designed as a sling bag, I kind of didn't believe them. I had a very similar bag, and I could just compress one side to make it sit flat on my back and feel just like a sling bag, but the LGD doesn't sit flat; it kind of hangs off from the top with only the bottom making contact. This is not that comfortable or nice-looking. As a hip-pack, It is almost too large, but certainly has benefits.

For me as of now, it does really shine as a crossbody bag. This will (perhaps) replace my co-pilot as my main EDC pack. It's shorter, but still fit my Galaxy Tab S7 in book cover (which is a must for me) in a 11A cache. I still have to test some configurations with the usual suspects (cellphone, keys, camera, etc.) to see if it can perform as a daily driver. If I keep it, I'll probably just remove the hip straps and have someone sew in a zipper on each side to make a small back pocket. However, the bag doesn't quite have the depth I would've liked, making fitting my camera/lenses cumbersome. Removing the cache and leaving the tablet loose would save half an inch of depth for sure, but the cache is kinda nice to have.

The two front pockets are nice. One for keys, wallet, and small tools, the other is for my cellphone. Further organisation could be arranged with a HLT size 2 (which I had at one point and returned, as it didn't quite fit my need at the time),

The side plastic tabs for putting a strap are bigger than those on the co-pilot, which is strange. It does complement the look of the bag, so I won't complain.

All being said, to those who didn't jump on the pre-order and are thinking of getting in on the next batch, here are some points :
    • This is NOT a sling bag. Wearing it as such looks weird, is not comfortable, and is just an option for when you need to quickly remove/put on the bag (like in an airport).
    • As a hip-pack, it does the job. It will look big if you're not big/tall.
    • As a crossbody, it is really good. Not too big, not too small.
    • The bag is functional and looks good, as is customary with Tom Bihn.
    Also, I must say this: The colors are always amazing in person. If you ever hesitate on a color because it looks "too bright" or "too flashy" but otherwise like the color, go ahead. I have the Mars Red Synik, a Burnt Orange Co-Pilot, and the Wilderness Green LGD; all looked flashy in the pictures, but are much more subdued in person (a good thing, I think). If I get my hand on another bag in the future, I'll probably go with the aubergine.

:::: EDIT ::::
    Removed some content that were against forum's rules; sorry about that!
    Last edited by DomHorrible; 07-21-2021, 10:39 AM.

Originally posted by DomHorrible View Post
    Thing is, when they said that the LGD wasn't meant/designed as a sling bag, I kind of didn't believe them.
    Great post. You hit upon a lot of the same issues I had with my LGD (especially the above quote), though I didn't find it to work quite as well as a crossbody bag as you did. (I will admit that for me, crossbody and sling bags are practically interchangeable, since I never wear a crossbody bag without actually using it as a sling bag most of the time.)

If I keep it, I'll probably just remove the hip straps and have someone sew in a zipper on each side to make a small back pocket.
    I thought the same thing about the possibility of removing those hip straps and making that storage flap into an actual pocket ... until I realized how much trouble that would be (getting a zipper through those layers sounds like a tall order) and that maybe there's simply a bag out there that has those features built in already. From past experience I've found that if I have to start redesigning a bag to make it useable, it probably wasn't a good fit to begin with. But I'd be curious to see the result if you do decide to keep the bag and make those changes. Keep us posted!
    Last edited by MisterJacques; 07-21-2021, 10:16 AM.

Comment

As I am still trying out the LGD and am unsure, I want to throw an offer: If you live in Canada and would like to get a green LGD, tell me. If I choose to not keep it, I could send it to you for a good price. It cost US$35 to send a bag back to Tom Bihn, and if I can send it directly to someone in Canada to save on the shipping and make someone happy, everyone wins (PS to forum admin : I'm not sure about the rules for selling/exchanging bag on the forum, so please tell me if it's against the rules and I'll edit this part out).
      These Forums don't permit ISO or selling - only swaps/trades in a sub-forum in the registered users section... many folks like the Facebook group that buys/sells/trades TB bags and others have found good luck on Craigslist or eBay
      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post

These Forums don't permit ISO or selling - only swaps/trades in a sub-forum in the registered users section... many folks like the Facebook group that buys/sells/trades TB bags and others have found good luck on Craigslist or eBay
        Thanks for informing me! I should've read the rules before posting...

Comment

However, the bag doesn't quite have the depth I would've liked, making fitting my camera/lenses cumbersome.
          Agreed. I bought 3 but I'm returning two because the main compartment is more like 4" instead of the 6" they state (in the main LGD thread Darcy said that measurement did NOT include the pocket but I don't see how they got to 6" without it. Pretty bummed, it really limits what I thought I'd be able to carry. :/

Comment

Working...
          X