Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,580   Posts: 188,310   Members: 6,539   Active Members: 284
Welcome to our newest member, QQYFodil79.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freudian Slip and Icon Bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freudian Slip and Icon Bag?

Maybe this has been discussed before; if so, please forgive. I'm wondering that, if I buy the Icon shoulder bag (a design which is calling out to me), which Freudian slip, if any, would fit it. Or, would that be an unsatisfactory idea? I like interior organization. The Icon has less interior organization than my Medium Cafe Bag.
    Go Navy

I like the Icon and have a couple of the original version. It does have two pockets (iphone 8 plus size) as well as a pen slot in main compartment. Used black stealth version as my EDC until I switched over to black halcyon Side Kick. I don't have the small cafe Freudian Slip but it might fit. What I used in main compartment of Icon was the Everyday Cubelet. Kept it unzipped so it was easy to pull out Nik's wallet, reading glasses etc. The O rings in the Everyday Cubelet kept everything safe and still very accessible. Kept the shoulder strap attached so I could easily pull EC out and use as stand alone bag. A5 Ghost Whale Pouch and Medium Clear Organizer Pouch work well in main section. The Medium Double Organizer Pouch fits great but isn't available right now. Everyday Cubelet also fits in back section of original Icon.

What fits perfectly and works great in lower front section is TB 3D organizer cube .... love halcyon version because it easily slides in and out. Unfortunately the mesh and fabric versions are retired. The clear 3DOC is still made and will be restocked next week. It works fine but doesn't slide quite as nicely. If you don't want the inside hanging hook you can cut the hook part off and use the remaining triangle piece to attach key straps since there are no O rings inside the 3DOC..

Comment

Hi Go Navy, yes, you can use the Freudian Slip for the Small Cafe Bag for the Icon although it's not ideal. See some pics here.
      ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
      current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby View Post
        Hi Go Navy, yes, you can use the Freudian Slip for the Small Cafe Bag for the Icon although it's not ideal. See some pics here.
        Excellent pictures of the Freudian Slip with the Icon. I think the color of the Slip is important for visibility while it is inside any bag. This might be the solution for me, or possibly the Handy Little Thing which I read about in the thread you linked for us. Very helpful; thanks!

Go Navy

Comment

Originally posted by kjquilts View Post
          I like the Icon and have a couple of the original version. It does have two pockets (iphone 8 plus size) as well as a pen slot in main compartment. Used black stealth version as my EDC until I switched over to black halcyon Side Kick. I don't have the small cafe Freudian Slip but it might fit. What I used in main compartment of Icon was the Everyday Cubelet. Kept it unzipped so it was easy to pull out Nik's wallet, reading glasses etc. The O rings in the Everyday Cubelet kept everything safe and still very accessible. Kept the shoulder strap attached so I could easily pull EC out and use as stand alone bag. A5 Ghost Whale Pouch and Medium Clear Organizer Pouch work well in main section. The Medium Double Organizer Pouch fits great but isn't available right now. Everyday Cubelet also fits in back section of original Icon.

What fits perfectly and works great in lower front section is TB 3D organizer cube .... love halcyon version because it easily slides in and out. Unfortunately the mesh and fabric versions are retired. The clear 3DOC is still made and will be restocked next week. It works fine but doesn't slide quite as nicely. If you don't want the inside hanging hook you can cut the hook part off and use the remaining triangle piece to attach key straps since there are no O rings inside the 3DOC..
          Thanks for all those great ideas, kjquilts!
          Go Navy

Comment

Originally posted by Go Navy View Post
            Maybe this has been discussed before; if so, please forgive. I'm wondering that, if I buy the Icon shoulder bag (a design which is calling out to me), which Freudian slip, if any, would fit it. Or, would that be an unsatisfactory idea? I like interior organization. The Icon has less interior organization than my Medium Cafe Bag.
            @GoNavy,
            The Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip will fit, but as bartleby noted, it is not ideal if you want to pack a lot into the main compartment of the Icon. I have a lot of pictures in the Makers Bag vs Icon thread that show both the Medium Cafe Bag FS (basically overlying the Icon, it fits the space between the vertical seams that delineate the Icon’s main compartment, but is too large to be used inside the bag) and the Small Cafe Bag FS, which can go into the main compartment. I personally use the (retired) Field Journal Notebook Organizational inserts as mini Freudian Slips here and in the Daylight Briefcase, and many other bags, and there are also photos of how those are used in my linked thread, along with many photos of theses accessories attached to the Icon with the main compartment turned inside out, so you can see how sizes work, and how these hook onto the internal O-rings. (The back of the FJN pen/pencil inserts has a pocket that can fit a Field Notes Notebook or small Moleskine; just like the back pocket of the Small Cafe Bag FS can hold a Kindle Paperwhite, etc.)

Here are a few excerpted photos to give you an idea of releative sizes — all of these were taken at the debut of the original version of the Icon. Please go back and read the text descriptions in detail, and look at the other photos. Many of those additional photos were taken to directly answer questions I received from Ravelry members, who wanted to know about how the Icon could handle holding and accessing small knitting/crocheting projects (pictures with open small yarn stuff sack in main compartment beside water bottle, with pockets pulled wide open and bag still stable) Also note the slim packup of the bag (including the Small Cafe Bag FS, water bottle, yarn stuff sack, Kindle, etc. Into something that stood upright on its base — these features were meant to contrast with properties of other bags like the Cafe Bags.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	BBF48606-2829-4DDC-A2C7-C7CB3E60874A.jpeg
Views:	262
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	334333

Name:	23386E89-154A-4451-852D-672A8D7DF884.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	334334

Name:	02D83234-A92E-435E-8022-1D909D830CC7.jpeg
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	334335

Name:	444038D4-1E0D-4400-BD63-BB2421A19E0F.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	334336

Name:	A0A8D410-1347-4105-BDF1-6564F3E62291.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	334337
            (This is the top view to show contents; there are better views from the side to show the stability of the profile in the original thread)

Name:	F7157D60-46B0-4EAE-BF15-FBA96A549BCC.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	334338
            same Icon in Logic Blue, zipped up with all contents and standing on its own.
            kjquilts made a good suggestion to use the Everyday Cubelet for organization. It is slightly wide than the FJN insert, which would stick out of its top opening if inserted. Halcyon would give you the most flexibility of fit, or else 210d Ballistic (Island is the softest of these, if you need a solid color), or 630d Recycled, which is pliable, but more structured than 210d Ballistic (I’m finding it a nice option for the recent batch of new cafe bags)

You might also take a look at the Maxpedition Entity organizers, which some forum users like ceepee use inside the Everyday Cubelet

Name:	D0DECB87-D998-46A8-BCA1-B206E0BC97CD.jpeg
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	334339
            ceepee showed this as an organizer for her Mars Red Everyday Cubelet

This seems to be the URL for the various items in the Maxpedition Entity system, including the organizer shown above
            Entity™ Hook & Loop Low Profile Panel
            https://www.maxpedition.com/products...-profile-panel

HTH

moriond

Comment

Moriond: that's fantastic info and pix. Thank you very much!
              Go Navy

Comment

Working...
              X