Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,490   Posts: 187,416   Members: 6,445   Active Members: 334
Welcome to our newest member, Ironaztek.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small Cafe Bag Impression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Cafe Bag Impression

I’ve shared photos of my new Small Cafe Bag here recently, and now I’ve published a more detailed impression of the bag after 1 week of usage. If you’re interested, click that link to my blog post at Jason Journals (sorry for the self-promo, I’m actually only trying to promote the Small Cafe Bag - in beautiful burnt orange).

The only thing worse than chips without salsa is salsa without chips!

Great review, jMac! You’ve got me thinking that I need to give the SCB another try!

Comment

Very nice overview! I've also struggled with that handle strap getting in the way but didn't want to remove it because I occasionally (although rarely) use it. I attached a small piece of industrial strength stick-on Velcro to secure it in the middle so it stays put until needed. So far, it has remained stuck but my plans are to add reinforcement stitching. If you don't mind a permanent mod, this might help you also.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonya View Post
        Very nice overview! I've also struggled with that handle strap getting in the way but didn't want to remove it because I occasionally (although rarely) use it. I attached a small piece of industrial strength stick-on Velcro to secure it in the middle so it stays put until needed. So far, it has remained stuck but my plans are to add reinforcement stitching. If you don't mind a permanent mod, this might help you also.
        If you're referring to the pad on the handle, you can just pull the strap out of it, and presumably back into it later if needed. (Haven't tried it yet but I'm assuming it wouldn't be difficult to loop a length of paracord or sturdy wire through the clip on the strap and thread it through the pad in order to pull it all back together.)

Comment

Originally posted by Surrealle View Post

If you're referring to the pad on the handle, you can just pull the strap out of it, and presumably back into it later if needed. (Haven't tried it yet but I'm assuming it wouldn't be difficult to loop a length of paracord or sturdy wire through the clip on the strap and thread it through the pad in order to pull it all back together.)
          Hmmm not sure what pad you are thinking about (maybe the rubberish gripper on the main strap? I cut that off long ago lol) but jMac mentioned in his blog that the short handle above the back pocket got in the way. I did for me also until I attached the velcro.

Comment

Great write up. I too also find that little back handle gets in the way. I also have problems with the main strap getting all twisted up when I go to put the bag on. I love the SCB though.

Comment

Hmmm not sure what pad you are thinking about (maybe the rubberish gripper on the main strap? I cut that off long ago lol) but jMac mentioned in his blog that the short handle above the back pocket got in the way. I did for me also until I attached the velcro.
              Ah, gotcha, sorry. Yes, I was referring to the strap pad.

Comment

Nice tip, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by YRose View Post
                  Great write up. I too also find that little back handle gets in the way. I also have problems with the main strap getting all twisted up when I go to put the bag on. I love the SCB though.
                  OK, so I thought I’d have trouble with the main strap twisting, but I found all I need to do is pick one side (left for me, south paw) and align it straight where it attaches and then slide my hand up to the mid-point, easily guiding it, then I just make sure the grippy pad is aligned nub side down and the rest of the strap kind of just untwists itself. It takes a second or two and is easy enough that I can almost do it without thinking as I toss it over my head.

Comment

I updated my blog post with 5 new photos detailing the fit of an encased 10.2” iPad in the bag. I’ll try to add those photos to my other post here in the photos section.
                    Last edited by jMac; 07-31-2021, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jMac View Post
                      I updated my blog post with 5 new photos detailing the the fit of an encased 10.2” iPad in the bag. I’ll try to add those photos to my other post here in the photos section.
                      Thanks for this great write-up jMac! Ultimately it convinced me to go with the LGD due to a somewhat different use-case, but that's a direct result of your detailed & thoughtful review!

nice job!
                      Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

Thanks for this great write-up jMac! Ultimately it convinced me to go with the LGD due to a somewhat different use-case, but that's a direct result of your detailed & thoughtful review!

nice job!
                        Wow, glad it helped

Comment

UPDATE:
                          I’ve been using my Small Cafe Bag for a few weeks now. And I’m loving it! It has proven to be more useful than I anticipated. Also, the handle strap does not interfere with the back pocket much really. I think it’s the “just right” size (but I’ll likely buy a mini version if it’s made).

Now…to buy more Burnt Orange Tom Bihn bags…yes. Wishlist!

Comment

Now…to buy more Burnt Orange Tom Bihn bags…yes. Wishlist!
                            A coordinated suite of bags sounds like a good idea but, if you look around an airport next time you're traveling, it can also be, umm, silly. Once I realized I had become "one of them" all subsequent Bihn acquisitions have been wildly different colors: blue A45, red Icon, fluorescent orange small Café.

Link to my burnt orange A3 and medium Café at the San Jose airport a few years ago (not shown: my small also burnt orange Café)
                            https://imgur.com/gallery/ThoImVJ

Comment

Thanks for the review. I note that in the "bags within bags" approach, the SCB holds a sideways Side Effect, alongside a pair of sunglasses, a notebook, and beanie.

In particular, though, I'm a regular user of the grab handle. Please do not encourage the company to remove it. The thing that doesn't work for me about other bags like the first-edition PU is the lack of a way to grab and carry it without the thing twisting or swinging on its shoulder strap.

Comment

Working...
                              X