Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,490   Posts: 187,416   Members: 6,445   Active Members: 334
Welcome to our newest member, Ironaztek.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Techonaut/Aeronaut international carry-on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Techonaut/Aeronaut international carry-on?

I'm looking to purchase a new large bag (Tom Bihn Techonaut 45l) for when I need to bring a lot of camera gear or winter clothing.
    How often do you find that your bag(s) get weighed/sized at the gate? Is it specific airlines that are notorious for this? Can the Technonaut/Aeronaut 45l be used as a carry-on for international travel?

Originally posted by Foxx View Post
    How often do you find that your bag(s) get weighed/sized at the gate? Is it specific airlines that are notorious for this? Can the Technonaut/Aeronaut 45l be used as a carry-on for international travel?
    I used to worry about this and I originally purchased A30s for my family for flight travel because of its size/weight dimensions. But, over 20+ flights (which, to be fair, isn't that many), I've never been checked, even when flying regionally, intra-Europe, or LCCs. We actually switched to A45s as personal items a couple of years ago. An A45 will realistically never meet the personal item size limits, but again, we've never been checked. Obviously, ymmv.

A note regarding weight: we also never pack more than 7kg/15 pounds in our bag, and we don't check bags. Your camera equipment may negate my advice's applicability to you.

Comment

In my experience the A45 rarely gets challenged at check in. It seems to never appear too bulky, even when pretty full loaded. But a couple of times flight delays or cancellations have resulted in routing switched to smaller regional aircraft where no way A45 (or even A30) will fit on board in bins or under seat, so drooped off and collected at gate. So I recommend to work on the principle that most times it will work as carry-on - but no guarantees that are fully under your control. That’s why I chose 1050 ballistic material, it will be more than adequate to survive occasional and unavoidable use as checked in baggage.

Comment

As folks have mentioned in other threads, bags in backpack mode and soft sided bags in general don't seem to attract as much flight attendant/box sizer/weight attention as hard sided and rolling luggage - but there is always the chance that it may happen & you'll be forced to check.

I can't remember anymore what type of plane I was on, but I have been on small US regional planes in the past, where a completely stuffed A45 couldn't fit in the overhead.

I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I use to fly with a lot and heavy camera gear (DSLR, sometimes two bodies with at least three or four lenses, etc.) and I am almost always over 8 kg with my hand lugagge. Before I had my A45 I used a Rimowa aluminium suitcase. I never had to check it in and it was never weighed so far but I never would want my gear to be checked in no matter what bag it is in. Thus, I always pack my camera stuff in a camera bag that I can take out of my A45 just in case I have to check it in. The other thing is that recently airlines started to be more restrictive with carry-on lugagge at least here in Europe to speed up the boarding process. Thus, on some airlines you can no longer bring what has been kind of an international standard size for maximum hand lugagge (sometimes you can pay a little extra upfront to have a bigger carry-on anyway). Unfortunately, sizes vary between different airlines. Taken together: In most cases you should still be fine with the A45 but you should check in advance and be prepared just in case they want you to check it in.
          ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
          current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

It depends on your ticket and airline! I've been fine with all of my Southwest flights (I haven't flown another domestic airline since I bought the Aeronaut). I used to be able to fit the Aeronaut 45 under the seat on Southwest if I took my Side Kick and headphones out of one of the end pockets, but the newer design puts the bar under the seat (to prevent the bag going into the feet of the person ahead of you) closer to you than before. It goes into the overhead bins perfectly.

International flights are always going to be stricter with limits for any baggage, especially carryon. My Aeronaut 45 had to be checked on the way back from France in 2019, flying British Airways - they didn't even weigh or measure it (it was within the limits, I had checked). We had the regular economy tickets, which meant that anything other than the one personal/under-seat bag is subject to checking to save room for the premium economy passengers' bags. Our flights on the way over weren't full, so they weren't as concerned with the plebeians taking up too much room :-)

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby View Post
              I use to fly with a lot and heavy camera gear (DSLR, sometimes two bodies with at least three or four lenses, etc.) and I am almost always over 8 kg with my hand lugagge. Before I had my A45 I used a Rimowa aluminium suitcase. I never had to check it in and it was never weighed so far but I never would want my gear to be checked in no matter what bag it is in. Thus, I always pack my camera stuff in a camera bag that I can take out of my A45 just in case I have to check it in. The other thing is that recently airlines started to be more restrictive with carry-on lugagge at least here in Europe to speed up the boarding process. Thus, on some airlines you can no longer bring what has been kind of an international standard size for maximum hand lugagge (sometimes you can pay a little extra upfront to have a bigger carry-on anyway). Unfortunately, sizes vary between different airlines. Taken together: In most cases you should still be fine with the A45 but you should check in advance and be prepared just in case they want you to check it in.
              That's a good idea. I had a similar thought with either a camera cube that can be removed (BYOB 10 or BYOB 13) or a packable bag (Beast28) that I could quickly throw everything into if they tried to force me to check the Techonaut 45

Comment

Originally posted by marbenais View Post
                It depends on your ticket and airline! I've been fine with all of my Southwest flights (I haven't flown another domestic airline since I bought the Aeronaut). I used to be able to fit the Aeronaut 45 under the seat on Southwest if I took my Side Kick and headphones out of one of the end pockets, but the newer design puts the bar under the seat (to prevent the bag going into the feet of the person ahead of you) closer to you than before. It goes into the overhead bins perfectly.

International flights are always going to be stricter with limits for any baggage, especially carryon. My Aeronaut 45 had to be checked on the way back from France in 2019, flying British Airways - they didn't even weigh or measure it (it was within the limits, I had checked). We had the regular economy tickets, which meant that anything other than the one personal/under-seat bag is subject to checking to save room for the premium economy passengers' bags. Our flights on the way over weren't full, so they weren't as concerned with the plebeians taking up too much room :-)
                Were they forcing everyone with regular economy to gate check on that flight or singling people out if their bags looked large? Were you carrying the Aeronaut 45 duffle style or on your back?

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                  As folks have mentioned in other threads, bags in backpack mode and soft sided bags in general don't seem to attract as much flight attendant/box sizer/weight attention as hard sided and rolling luggage - but there is always the chance that it may happen & you'll be forced to check.

I can't remember anymore what type of plane I was on, but I have been on small US regional planes in the past, where a completely stuffed A45 couldn't fit in the overhead.
                  Which A45 material do you have? I'm struggling to decide between halcyon (more flexible to pack full easier, lighter) vs 1050d (sturdier, possibly more comfortable as a backpack without frame sheet?, better looking IMO)

Comment

Which A45 material do you have? I'm struggling to decide between halcyon (more flexible to pack full easier, lighter) vs 1050d (sturdier, possibly more comfortable as a backpack without frame sheet?, better looking IMO)
                    (1.) Decide how much you REALLY need to pack + your packing style
                    Here's my canon 6D DSLR (tenba wrap) + 3 lenses & bing-bongs ... plus size 13 shoes, AND my PCSB w/ full size headphones, two 26 mAh batteries, AND travel kit in an S30 ... with TONS of room left up top (dopp kit) and then over the top of all of this (e.g., a full size packing cube w/clothes), and that doesn't include any of the front or bottom pocket of the S30:

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=333994.png Views:	0 Size:	712.2 KB ID:	334676
                    Point being, unless you have tremendous amount of camera gear (and many do!) and use bulky padding you don't actually need that much space. I've traveled with this same camera gear across 3 continents over the last 6 years with no damage and no bag checking!

(2.) Ok, so you need a 45L bag - which materials? - having said the above, I'm a two-bag traveller and internationally I always bring my A45
                    This is my A45 w/ DSLR equip jammed full in SEA waiting to go to Japan:

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=332526.png Views:	0 Size:	517.8 KB ID:	334677
                    Halcyon is indeed easier to pack being a bit stretchy as you can see above. I find I *only* need the A45 when it looks like that, i.e., stuffed full ... otherwise I use my WF. Here's my typical domestic US pack which includes my DSLR equip (lake Union in Seattle in the background!):
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=331322.png Views:	0 Size:	868.8 KB ID:	334678
                    As you can see all of my older bags (this is pre-covid & I have other stuff now!) are Halcyon. My 2 cents is halcyon makes the most sense for a business/leisure traveler if that's your travel order: more biz than leisure travel ... for all the reasons you know about: easier to pack, looks good / conservative / biz friendly, lighter, scuff resistant, etc

I don't find 1050D's structure to be important for large bags since, when I need them, they'll be full. For smaller bags, the structure doesn't both me - here's me at Amazon HQ wearing the 26L WF as an around-town tourist bag, it's not very full, but does have my DSLR gear in it:
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=331093.png Views:	0 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	334679
                    It's maybe a little hard to see because it's black, but the halcyon bag doesn't sag too much, at least for me. The WF is PERFECT as a dual-purpose bag and works great in Halcyon (though I have 1050D now too and prefer it for when I don't need to stuff full, i.e., less than an A45)

(3.) Will a 45L bag have to get checked?
                    Domestic US, highly highly likely no. The A45 design is such that even full it'll fully fit in a bulkhead overhead of an RJ - the flight attendant said it wouldn't fit and would have to be check, but tah-DAH!
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=300753.jpg Views:	0 Size:	632.9 KB ID:	334680

Internationally is different, but not much IME - I've flown domestically quite a bit in Europe & Asia as a two-bag traveller, even in Europe in exit row which requires both bags to be in the overhead, and I've never had to check, nor ever even been flagged to check except on-board when an FA didn't think my bag would fit overhead or under a seat, but TB bags always do.

The thing is, as some have pointed out, there *is* a risk ... and I've have had numerous times international where I worried about checking my halcyon bag ... I never had to, but I worried about it, and in those moments 1050D would've given me comfort.

So here would be my decision tree:

• Will the bag be used primarily domestic & RJ or larger? If so, get whichever color you like best but functionally halcyon is probably better, if not get 1050D

• Will the bag be used frequently international economy-class & will you worry about checking halcyon? Get 1050D

• Will the bag be used frequently in Asia/Europe on economy airlines? Get 1050D

• Otherwise, assuming you like it, get halcyon!

Obviously I've used halcyon and, as I've said, I've never had to check and never even been flagged (including at small airports in asia/europe) so unless you're going farther afield than that, I'd say the check-risk is quite small ...

... but I've never flown Euro econo airlines like Ryan Air, rather airlines like Iberian, iceland air, swiss air, etc & so if you're planning on Euro econo airlines, the check risk is probably higher.

I
                    Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

(1.) Decide how much you REALLY need to pack + your packing style
                      Here's my canon 6D DSLR (tenba wrap) + 3 lenses & bing-bongs ... plus size 13 shoes, AND my PCSB w/ full size headphones, two 26 mAh batteries, AND travel kit in an S30 ... with TONS of room left up top (dopp kit) and then over the top of all of this (e.g., a full size packing cube w/clothes), and that doesn't include any of the front or bottom pocket of the S30:

Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=333994.png Views:	0 Size:	712.2 KB ID:	334676
                      Point being, unless you have tremendous amount of camera gear (and many do!) and use bulky padding you don't actually need that much space. I've traveled with this same camera gear across 3 continents over the last 6 years with no damage and no bag checking!

(2.) Ok, so you need a 45L bag - which materials? - having said the above, I'm a two-bag traveller and internationally I always bring my A45
                      This is my A45 w/ DSLR equip jammed full in SEA waiting to go to Japan:

Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=332526.png Views:	0 Size:	517.8 KB ID:	334677
                      Halcyon is indeed easier to pack being a bit stretchy as you can see above. I find I *only* need the A45 when it looks like that, i.e., stuffed full ... otherwise I use my WF. Here's my typical domestic US pack which includes my DSLR equip (lake Union in Seattle in the background!):
                      Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=331322.png Views:	0 Size:	868.8 KB ID:	334678
                      As you can see all of my older bags (this is pre-covid & I have other stuff now!) are Halcyon. My 2 cents is halcyon makes the most sense for a business/leisure traveler if that's your travel order: more biz than leisure travel ... for all the reasons you know about: easier to pack, looks good / conservative / biz friendly, lighter, scuff resistant, etc

I don't find 1050D's structure to be important for large bags since, when I need them, they'll be full. For smaller bags, the structure doesn't both me - here's me at Amazon HQ wearing the 26L WF as an around-town tourist bag, it's not very full, but does have my DSLR gear in it:
                      Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=331093.png Views:	0 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	334679
                      It's maybe a little hard to see because it's black, but the halcyon bag doesn't sag too much, at least for me. The WF is PERFECT as a dual-purpose bag and works great in Halcyon (though I have 1050D now too and prefer it for when I don't need to stuff full, i.e., less than an A45)

(3.) Will a 45L bag have to get checked?
                      Domestic US, highly highly likely no. The A45 design is such that even full it'll fully fit in a bulkhead overhead of an RJ - the flight attendant said it wouldn't fit and would have to be check, but tah-DAH!
                      Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=300753.jpg Views:	0 Size:	632.9 KB ID:	334680

Internationally is different, but not much IME - I've flown domestically quite a bit in Europe & Asia as a two-bag traveller, even in Europe in exit row which requires both bags to be in the overhead, and I've never had to check, nor ever even been flagged to check except on-board when an FA didn't think my bag would fit overhead or under a seat, but TB bags always do.

The thing is, as some have pointed out, there *is* a risk ... and I've have had numerous times international where I worried about checking my halcyon bag ... I never had to, but I worried about it, and in those moments 1050D would've given me comfort.

So here would be my decision tree:

• Will the bag be used primarily domestic & RJ or larger? If so, get whichever color you like best but functionally halcyon is probably better, if not get 1050D

• Will the bag be used frequently international economy-class & will you worry about checking halcyon? Get 1050D

• Will the bag be used frequently in Asia/Europe on economy airlines? Get 1050D

• Otherwise, assuming you like it, get halcyon!

Obviously I've used halcyon and, as I've said, I've never had to check and never even been flagged (including at small airports in asia/europe) so unless you're going farther afield than that, I'd say the check-risk is quite small ...

... but I've never flown Euro econo airlines like Ryan Air, rather airlines like Iberian, iceland air, swiss air, etc & so if you're planning on Euro econo airlines, the check risk is probably higher.

I
                      Thank you for the well thought out post. It is hugely helpful.

I think I'm going to give halcyon a shot. The flexibility and weight savings seem worth the risk of it getting checked.

Comment

My A30 is 400d halcyon, the A45 1050d Ballistic - these choices were made more based on colour/appearance than anything else. I really really like the look, feel, flexibility, and 'hand' of the 400d halcyons. As I've acquired TB bags over time, I have REPLACED ballistic bags with halcyon as I've found them.
                        For me, the supple flexibility is a benefit (more so than even the weight) and the slight decrease in rigidity & durability is not an issue. Note that even the 525 and 1050 ballistic will soften and before more supple/less rigid over the years.

I just received the T30 in Night Walk and T45 in Navy 1050 to review, courtesy of TB - I chose again based on colour and partly to have comparison parity to what i had previously bought in the Aeronaut family.
                        For me, again personal preference, I love the supple feel and flexibility of the 400d halcyons above most all else. When I pick 1050 ballistic, it's because it's simply the best colour (or only fabric like Yeomans) offered for a given bag. I would have no issue if all my items were halcyon, but there are many who are the opposite and completely love the 1050 ballistics. And for things like the Pop Totes, the 525 ballistics have won me over. I have faith that the TB designers and crew know what they're doing when they pick what weight fabrics will work for specific bag designs.

I have bags in all fabrics that TB offers. I have traveled 8-15 plane trips a years for 20+ years without ever having (permanently) lost a bag, have anything stolen, or have had anything more than a minor scuffing - rolly and TB. YMMV, but it's just not been an issue for me domestically or internationally.

FWIW, I generally don't want ANY bag to be checked - even my rolly bags.... I prefer to have control but mostly I'm concerned about the time it takes to retrieve from baggage claim. For every story about damaged/lost/thieved bags, there are dozens of unreported uneventful trips. The more trips you take overall, any issue that does occur is amortized over higher frequency of trips.

The structure of the Aeronauts are such that I've never felt the need for a frame sheet. I have used a hip belt for the A45 when it's completely packed with heavy things for once a year holiday travel, but that's due to the sheer weight of it, not the rigidity.

With the new Techonauts, with a laptop potentially in the back, I feel even less inclined to get a frame sheet.

The only bag I've bought and kept a frame sheet for is my Synapse 19 and that's because I like the feel of the rigid panel against my back (not form fitting) for that size/shape pack and like how it carries then. I have three S19s and two frame sheets. I pick each day based on colour and whim. With the slightly larger Shadow Guide 23, there is no frame sheet and I don't feel I need one...each bag, what I carry, and how it sits/feels against my back is different.
                        Last edited by G42; 08-01-2021, 07:53 PM.
                        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I
                          How often do you find that your bag(s) get weighed/sized at the gate? Is it specific airlines that are notorious for this?
                          I've travelled many times Singapore <--> Australia with either Aeronaut 45 or Aeronaut 30 (SCOOT). I have always carried my bag on board. Scoot ALWAYS weigh my carry on at the check in counter. It's then tagged with a small "cabin" tag, then no further checks at the gate.

I purposefully scaled down to a A30 a few years ago because the Aussie domestic airline industry is very strict with weight and size. On our recent trip in July with an Aussie domestic (Jetstar) flight, my bag was weighed at the gate whilst in the line to board.

in 2018 we took a prop plane from Venice to Czech Republic and they didn't seem to care about the weight of my A30 (ALITALIA)
                          Last edited by bijoux; 08-02-2021, 12:42 AM.

Comment

I'm still struggling with the halcyon vs ballistic choice in the T45. In general, I would love the lighter weight and suppleness of the halcyon, but my experience has been that I sometimes check my A45 and was really glad for its bombproof ballistic material for that purpose (and in other more rugged travel scenarios). I also appreciate that it holds its shape better. I worry I would find it annoying and inconvenient to pack the A45 or T45 in halcyon, since it appears those bags pretty much collapse when not packed. Fine for top loading bags, not so much for clamshells. At that size, I'm also not sure I want the ability to stuff it even fuller, making it heavier and ballooning it to some extent.

Comment

Originally posted by ayazgood View Post
                              I also appreciate that it holds its shape better. I worry I would find it annoying and inconvenient to pack the A45 or T45 in halcyon, since it appears those bags pretty much collapse when not packed. Fine for top loading bags, not so much for clamshells.
                              This is my concern too. I like to live out of my bag at a short term destination. Will the ballistic T30 collapse when partially empty? TIA

(I’ve kept a large EC duffel with rigid dividers just for this reason. It maintains its shape when empty. I rarely need a 60L bag but it is easy to pack and live out of.)

Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Comment

Working...
                              X