Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,580   Posts: 188,310   Members: 6,539   Active Members: 284
Welcome to our newest member, QQYFodil79.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frame sheet needed for 45l halcyon vs 1050d?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame sheet needed for 45l halcyon vs 1050d?

Does anyone have experience with both halcyon and 1050d (or 525d) in larger bags like the Aeronaut 45l?
    I'm purchasing a Techonaut 45l soon and I'm trying to decide if the fabric choice makes any difference in the need for a frame sheet.

According to their website they tested the T45 with and without a frame sheet and:

"When we performed the same tests wearing the Techonaut 45 with the internal frame, the results were different — and 50/50 split. Half of the crew liked the way the Techonaut 45 Internal Frame changed the carrying experience, and half felt it didn't do anything for them."

But they didn't mentioned if the material type had any influence. Basically I'm wondering if halcyon is so floppy that it'd *need* a frame sheet to be comfortable and support the bag weight on my hips for longer carries (with the padded waist straps) or if the 1050d would negate the need for a frame sheet due to its stiffer construction. I'm leaning towards the halcyon for weight savings and flexibility to pack it fuller but it'd be somewhat negated if I have to add a stiff frame sheet that adds extra weight to make it comfortable under load.

Originally posted by Foxx View Post
    Does anyone have experience with both halcyon and 1050d (or 525d) in larger bags like the Aeronaut 45l?
    I'm purchasing a Techonaut 45l soon and I'm trying to decide if the fabric choice makes any difference in the need for a frame sheet.

According to their website they tested the T45 with and without a frame sheet and:

"When we performed the same tests wearing the Techonaut 45 with the internal frame, the results were different — and 50/50 split. Half of the crew liked the way the Techonaut 45 Internal Frame changed the carrying experience, and half felt it didn't do anything for them."

But they didn't mentioned if the material type had any influence. Basically I'm wondering if halcyon is so floppy that it'd *need* a frame sheet to be comfortable and support the bag weight on my hips for longer carries (with the padded waist straps) or if the 1050d would negate the need for a frame sheet due to its stiffer construction. I'm leaning towards the halcyon for weight savings and flexibility to pack it fuller but it'd be somewhat negated if I have to add a stiff frame sheet that adds extra weight to make it comfortable under load.
    Just for a material standpoint, 1050 D ballistic is by far the stiffer of the three materials. 525D ballistic would be next and then the Halcyon is definitely going to have more give. Part of the decision is going to be what kind of abuse you will put your bag through. I’m pretty hard on my bags so I typically do 1050D ballistic or 1000D Cordura. All my pouches from numerous different brands are of different materials.

Also, your body structure plays a big part in to whether you need a frame sheet or not. You might be best just to get one if you were leaning that way and test it out. You can always return it if it doesn’t work.

Comment

Originally posted by MTeric22 View Post

Just for a material standpoint, 1050 D ballistic is by far the stiffer of the three materials. 525D ballistic would be next and then the Halcyon is definitely going to have more give. Part of the decision is going to be what kind of abuse you will put your bag through. I’m pretty hard on my bags so I typically do 1050D ballistic or 1000D Cordura. All my pouches from numerous different brands are of different materials.

Also, your body structure plays a big part in to whether you need a frame sheet or not. You might be best just to get one if you were leaning that way and test it out. You can always return it if it doesn’t work.
      I’m considering just getting one just in case but the need for one based on material is influencing my decision of which material to get. For example if I'm less likely to need a frame sheet on 1050d due to its structure I'd maybe lean towards the 1050d. But if the material choice doesn't really affect the need for a frame sheet then I'd maybe lean halcyon for the weight savings and easier to pack full. I take very good care of my bags so I'm not worried about durability, except for the odd forced to check at the gate situation which has only happened to me once. I wish I could easily order and test both bags but I'm not sure that's practical. I'm guessing I'd have to pay return shipping to ship it back? Maybe it's worth it to make the right choice.

My body structure is 5'9" 160lbs, lean/muscular build, longish torso, if that makes any difference in the need for a frame sheet
      Last edited by Foxx; 08-01-2021, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxx View Post

I'm guessing I'd have to pay return shipping to ship it back? Maybe it's worth it to make the right choice.
        I vaguely remember someone mentioning $10 for a return shipping label? Don't know for sure, as I'm not in USA so never consider returning any TB. There's a huge community for TB here on forums or on Facebook group (if that's your thing?) to swap or sell unwanted TB
        Last edited by bijoux; 08-01-2021, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I own an A45 in 1050d and have never really wanted a frame sheet. I preordered the TN45 in halcyon and don’t plan to get the frame sheet. I mostly stuff my bags with clothes so I am not too concerned about it filling out and having structure. If your typical loads vary and are heavy a frame sheet might help.
          Last edited by Kevin; 08-02-2021, 06:56 AM.

Comment

I've posted this elsewhere but I've only found the framesheeet to help in the S25, and there, it's more a comfort preference rather than structural support for a hip belt. If it wasn't there I wouldn't mind, I just like the flat feeling on my back more with the S25. On the S30 I really don't notice the framesheet, especially with the laptop there ... and having taken it out & put it back once I won't be doing it again!

In the case of the A45, it's already got thicker foam in the back panel and if you typically put a laptop back there (I put my 16"MBP in a cache there in either mode) then the framesheet doesn't make a meaningful different to me, so I don't use one.

With that, I'm 6'2" and able to carry heavier loads (I typically shoot for 40lbs or less) for the typical shorter distances that are common on my travels and YMMV depending on those factors.

Whenever I need a backpanel for structural support for a hip belt I use my MW Rambler which has a pretty advanced harness system, though for some uses not as good as maybe an Osprey Farpoint and certainly not as good a full hiker pack.
            Last edited by GrussGott; 08-01-2021, 07:31 PM.

Comment

I almost always go for the frame sheets in my bags, as I often rely on the waist strap for support (bad back and all).

And as others have mentioned, they're not just beneficial for load distribution but also for the structure. I added an S25 frame sheet to my BBs and it's been a game changer, as the Brain Bag goes round on me when loaded up and is very difficult to carry without it (like trying to carry a medicine ball with backpack straps, heh).

If I was getting a Halcyon TN, I'd first see if I could make it work with one of my existing frame sheets, and if not, I'd bite the bullet with the TN-specific ones.
              Last edited by Surrealle; 08-02-2021, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X