Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,583   Posts: 188,374   Members: 6,553   Active Members: 307
Welcome to our newest member, articulate.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parental Unit Unretiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting it in halcyon (Night Walk, of course), mainly because I have a bad back and can't carry heavy shoulder bags for long so the light weight will help with that. I also think it's got enough structure to not be too floppy, which is why I've shied away from halcyon in the Paragon (and TN) in the past.

I actually have a black halcyon PU I picked up second hand and I like it, though admittedly I haven't used it much, mainly thanks to the lockdown. But I think it's a good fabric for this bag design, for the reasons above.

Comment

@Surreale I too cannot tolerate a lot of weight on my shoulders, and I have found a solution (because of course my PU is usually full!).

It was pure luck that I happened to have a Haglofs Corker backpack (medium) just hanging around, going unused for several years. It turns out that the Parental Unit is the perfect match for the Corker and you will create a superbag by combining the two. The Corker is a side-opening bag and if you put the Parental Unit inside, you can access all of its pockets without taking it out of the bag. If anyone can recommend any other side-opening backpacks please let me know, it’s a pretty great way to carry a PU as a backpack.

I wrote about it and posted pics here during my Bag a Day challenge:

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
      Bag-a-Day Challenge

Day 5: Parental Unit in Aubergine 525/NW sky

My beloved Parental Unit! This is my second PU, my first one is Black Halcyon/Ultraviolet. This bag is a pocket-lover’s dream.

In the pic above you can see my Quick Adjust Absolute Strap, which is an Absolute Strap I cut and to which I attached quick-adjust sliders/buckles/thingies. You can also see my Guardian light. On the triangle hook I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer and a double swivel carabiner (for attaching random things like kids’ raincoats).

Inside the bag is the same EC, which lives in the center side pocket on the “outside” of the bag (it’s a symmetrical bag but the Absolute Strap only curves one way so there is definitely a right and a wrong way to put this bag on).

The Parental Unit is why I carry an EC. This pocket here is its home base to me. The Side Effect also fits very well here but as it is a horizontal bag the zippers aren’t easy to access while the bag is docked. To the left and right of the EC are various sanitizers, wipes, lip balms, and creams.

In the main pocket, all sorts of stuff for going to the park:

You can see a collapsible bowl for picking blackberries (Fozzil, recommended by G42 thanks!!), my little Fulton umbrella, and hidden are at least one hat, pair of gloves, neckwarmer and shopping bag.

The “inside” Side pocket carries a first aid kit in a Second Aid Kit and snacks:

My (first) Second Aid Kit contains children’s Tylenol/paracetamol, bandages and balms, and chocolate:

Yesterday I promised to reveal a secret. I might have revealed this before on the Ravelry or FB page but not here.

So my secret is: if I am going out all day I use my Parental Unit as a bag inside a bag. My shoulder will start to hurt under the weight of a fully-packed PU, which didn’t matter while I was using the stroller everyday, but I stopped doing that last year, so I needed to turn my PU into a backpack. I thought of the Haglofs medium Corker backpack I bought on a trip to Switzerland in 2006 when my day pack was hurting my shoulders. It has a large C-shaped side opening. It’s a perfect house for my PU:

I can get at all the zippers! It’s bag-in-bag heaven.

So that’s my secret. I love my PU, and I love it even more as a backpack! It’s the perfect combination of organization, accessibility and comfort.

See you on Day 6.

Comment

Darcy, will pictures of all the colors not yet shown be posted prior to the preorder opening?

Comment

Originally posted by proximal View Post
          Darcy, will pictures of all the colors not yet shown be posted prior to the preorder opening?
          Yes, they will be! I expect they'll be up by the end of the day Thursday. We had to specially cut the Halcyons for photos.
          Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

@Darcy I saw on twitter that the Zeitgeist will be shipping soon. Curious if the Parental Units will ship soon as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dmoneysong View Post
              @Darcy I saw on twitter that the Zeitgeist will be shipping soon. Curious if the Parental Units will ship soon as well.
              Yes they will! Anyone with a pre-order will be hearing from us by Tuesday 10/26 with the shipping date.
              Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

I'm in love! My Night Walk Parental Unit just arrived and bonus, the zipper pulls I picked out a while back go great with it.

G42 I also think I solved the "identical sides" issue by using the matching keychain to mark a pocket without having to use a different color (which always kinda looked funny to me, plus you still have to look down to see it.)

It's a small thing but I'm stoked! I'm so glad TB brought these back for another run!

Click image for larger version  Name:	3F285279-55EC-49F8-A55C-452A0B69E859.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.21 MB ID:	337060 (Disclaimer: Ignore the color, it's noticeably darker and bluer in person.)

If anyone's interested they're RedVex brand zipper pulls, 2.5" in Navy Blue from Amazon. I'm not affiliated with the company, just a pleased customer.
                Last edited by Surrealle; 11-09-2021, 10:36 AM.

Comment

PU has arrived. Big fan of BH/UV combo. Nice change from Northwest Sky that's commonly paired with BH.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4795.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	337132

Comment

Do we know which colors of the PU are going to be available in the restock tomorrow? I thought about ordering one in Night Walk back then but I didn’t…

Comment

If you go to the product page for the PU, the colors that are listed as in production should be helpful. I’m guessing that this is the complete list for the restock.

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...40494134362301

Originally posted by b1gsky View Post
                      Do we know which colors of the PU are going to be available in the restock tomorrow? I thought about ordering one in Night Walk back then but I didn’t…

Comment

Originally posted by b1gsky View Post
                        In the blog post, they mention that these are returns and such. So very limit stocks. Night Walk is among them, but I guess you'd better be quick.

Comment

Anyone know if more are coming? I’m so disappointed that more weren’t available on the restock. Now am going to have to spend my money elsewhere.. I really wanted to get this for my daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Newtsy View Post
                            Anyone know if more are coming? I’m so disappointed that more weren’t available on the restock. Now am going to have to spend my money elsewhere.. I really wanted to get this for my daughter.
                            They come up on eBay fairly frequently, as well as on the FB buy/sell/trade group. I got two through there before they brought it out of retirement.

I do hope they'll do another run of these though. I think they sold out of the restock ones within 15 minutes, so the demand seems to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Newtsy View Post
                              Welcome to the forums @Newtsy
                              Originally posted by Surrealle View Post

They come up on eBay fairly frequently, as well as on the FB buy/sell/trade group. I got two through there before they brought it out of retirement.

I do hope they'll do another run of these though. I think they sold out of the restock ones within 15 minutes, so the demand seems to be there.
                              This restock only had about a dozen Parental Units, because it was so soon after they started mailing out the preorders. — probably most of those were cancelations. My guess is that some forum members may have ordered more than one model during the preorder, knowing that would a scarce commodity, and wanting the ability to choose or hold onto more than one, since there is a 60 day return window. I seriously doubt most people who received their preorders could decide on doing a return and get it in before the restock that offered these, given that a number of forum members were still asking about who had received the preordered Parental Units just a few days before that restock took place. So there may be some more coming back in a later restock, but the timing is tight.

Just my thoughts.

moriond

ETA: By the way, did anyone note what were the restock color offerings that came back? I saw Verde, Mars Red, and Taiga, but I was posting on the forums when this went live, and wasn’t closely tracking the Parental Units.
                              Last edited by moriond; 11-19-2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Keep an eye out on their next "Low Quantity Restock" (LQR). In their last couple LQR's, some retired items popped up like GE Syniks and LCBs. There is a small chance PUs will show up.

Comment

Working...
                                X