Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,580   Posts: 188,314   Members: 6,539   Active Members: 284
Welcome to our newest member, tam017.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GRAB bag colour ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sturbridge
    replied
    Ohh, pictures please, if you have time
    As requested, G42 :

Navy parapack grab bag- Coffee/tea kit: collapsible kettle and cord, small mug, silicone container with coffee scoop, gold mug mate (for coffee or tea), disposable pour over filters, instant coffee/sugar/milk packets in a small coyote mesh ghost whale.

Red cerylon grab bag- food prep and serving kit: 2 collapsible bowls, mini salad tongs, napkins, washing cloth in small iberian travel tray (to keep clean)- travel tray can also be used to hold bread slices or small whole fruits like grapes; fold up prep surface (because picnic tables are not cleaned) is actually a sandwich wrap and can be used for leftovers, 2 ziplocs for storage, mini ghost whale with individual condiment packets, pepper mill, Y peeler, cheese grater, whisk, 2 sets of flatware, dishtowel (paktowel nano), soap, small fold up cup (for sauces and dressings), cutting board/strainer with a Bandit XL on it which holds opinel paring knife, victorinox folding bread knife, salt/pepper, bottle opener and military can opener (on the back, not visible in picture). With this I can make salads and other simple dishes while traveling.

Leave a comment:

• Surrealle
    replied
    Originally posted by father_dawg View Post
    I just got my Sangria grab bag in, and it's a great looking little bag! Now, though, I need to figure out what to do with it. I'm eager to look through the threads to see what other uses people have found for theirs.
    I picked up a couple after I discovered I can roll them up and tuck them into a surprisingly small pocket in my PU. So for longer trips when my back won't tolerate a 13L crossbody, I'll toss my water bottle, keys, and wallet into the grab bag instead. (Amazingly, I can get a 16 oz Stanley thermos in there and still have room to spare!)

Leave a comment:

• Shortie
    replied
    I received my Sangria Grab Bag on Friday, just in time for a weekend trip. It’s perfect. I have been using a small Snake Charmer as a toiletries bag but wished it didn’t have mesh sides. This Grab Bag is a little larger so not only did it hold travel-sized bottles but I also fit in a hairbrush and a small travel hairdryer. And it fits in my Paradigm.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Originally posted by sturbridge View Post

I have two grab bags. One is a travel coffee kit (collapsible kettle, small cup, individual pour over bags, sugar and milk). The other is a travel kitchen, for hotels or picnic tables when traveling (cutting board, cutlery, spices, individual oil, vinegar, mustard packets, paring knife, folding bread knife, Y peeler, cheese grater, 2 collapsible bowls). This second one is enough to prepare and serve simple meals.
    Ohh, pictures please, if you have time

Leave a comment:

• sturbridge
    replied
    I'm eager to look through the threads to see what other uses people have found for theirs.
    I have two grab bags. One is a travel coffee kit (collapsible kettle, small cup, individual pour over bags, sugar and milk). The other is a travel kitchen, for hotels or picnic tables when traveling (cutting board, cutlery, spices, individual oil, vinegar, mustard packets, paring knife, folding bread knife, Y peeler, cheese grater, 2 collapsible bowls). This second one is enough to prepare and serve simple meals.

Leave a comment:

• father_dawg
    replied
    I just got my Sangria grab bag in, and it's a great looking little bag! Now, though, I need to figure out what to do with it. I'm eager to look through the threads to see what other uses people have found for theirs.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211116_144301011.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	337200
    Can someone give me a description of this red? I've got a Mars Red synik, but if this is more of a red red, that would be awesome. But I can't tell what this one looks like...
    Mars Red PT, Red Blend GW, and new Sangria GB in daylight

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Can someone give me a description of this red? I've got a Mars Red synik, but if this is more of a red red, that would be awesome. But I can't tell what this one looks like...
    It's definitely a different red than the Mars Red....I'll try to get a photo tomorrow or perhaps moriond may have time

I don't have any Iberian with me on my trip, but Sangria seems closer to Iberian than Mars Red...

FYI, if you haven't seen this amazing thread from gochicken showing Pantone cards vs fabrics, it's very cool and shows Monarch, Mars Red, Iberian, and Red Blend for the reds known at the time...

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...color-pictures

FWIW, having only seen Cobalt and Sangria of the Cerylons in person so far, I think the photo of the Grab Bags in front of the yellow jacket is very good... my perception is that the colours are like the yellow in the jacket - very clear, clean, pure Crayola type colors

Leave a comment:

• father_dawg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by dirkhaun View Post
    The Sangria looks really tempting. But I don't think I need any more Grab Bags right now.
    Originally posted by G42 View Post

But there's one empty hook on that rack....
    For people who have earlier Grab Bags, the “hand” of the Cerylon fabric is a nice texture that is distinct from the (mostly) stiffer and heavier/thicker fabrics that have been pulled out of the fabric vaults to make up the sides of many of these grab bags. I like the standard Grab Bag color offerings of Boreal and Navy Parapack, but the Cerylon offerings are tactilely and structurally distinct. Boreal is a great neutral color, but the texture is rougher than 1000d Cordura. 200d Halcyon fabric feels smoother to the touch than Cerylon, but the fabric is a lot more pliable. If you run your finger tips over 210d Ballistic Nylon or 420d Parapack Nylon you can feel that these use filaments that give the material more of a high-tech feel. With the “double wall” ripstop nylon pattern of Cerylon, on a finer grid than with Halcyon, the surface feels lightly textured to the touch, though overall smooth — you should not have concerns about delicate fabrics placed next to it suffering abrasion in the same way that you would if they were next to Boreal Ruff Stuff (not sure the spelling has been standardized — I’ve seen this also spelled Rough Stuff). The twisted yarn design also described in the August blog post that I linked, in combination with the “double wall” ripstop seems to result in more structural support for the material. Even though this is a lighter weight material, it holds its shape in staying open better than the navy Parapack.

I’ll be very interested in seeing this fabric used in small accessory cubelets. Finally, I think the Sangria colorway is going to be a good match to a lot of existing Tom BIHN colors as an accent — works well with conservative colors like Black and Steel (or earlier 400d Steel Halcyon), or with Iberian accessories.

HTH. I should add that the tactile experience of fabrics is something that I pay attention to, and that I also like Halcyon options.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 11-12-2021, 12:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Originally posted by dirkhaun View Post
    The Sangria looks really tempting. But I don't think I need any more Grab Bags right now.
    But there's one empty hook on that rack....

Leave a comment:

• dirkhaun
    replied

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Just received a sample of the Sangria Cerylon Grab Bag courtesy of the Tom BIHN folks, and it has a beautiful, luminous quality. Here are some quick shots:
    Sangria Grab Bag in Cerylon
    Sangria Grab Bag in Cerylon Inverted
    I inverted the grab bag and took a picture with some of the late afternoon lighting showing up.

Sangria Grab Bag in Cerylon Inverted, steel bottom
    looks as though the bottom fabric might be steel Parapack, which looks lighter in this picture because of the reflected light.
    Sangria Cerylon Grab Bag with Design Lab label
    Here’s the Desgn Lab Stealth label on the end

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 11-11-2021, 09:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderlust77
    replied
    [QUOTE=Darcy;n337096]

Yes! 11/16 is the next restock. It's actually two restocks in one, and we're wrapping up the final details today. Will share a link later today to a blog post with all the details.

In the meantime, here's those Grab Bags in Cerylon:

Name:	cerylon-grab-bags.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	337097

Oh my!…Those Cerylon colors are gorgeous!

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by enotsd View Post

Darcy I see the Nov colors are up on the site but what’s the availability date? Is it the
    11/16 restock date? Thanks!
    Yes! 11/16 is the next restock. It's actually two restocks in one, and we're wrapping up the final details today. Will share a link later today to a blog post with all the details.

In the meantime, here's those Grab Bags in Cerylon:

Name:	cerylon-grab-bags.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	337097

And, since I'm sharing Grab Bag photos, here's a pic of this restock's lower quantity Grab Bags:

Name:	Nov-16-Grab-Bags.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	535.0 KB
ID:	337098

Leave a comment:

Working...
X