Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,535   Posts: 187,866   Members: 6,498   Active Members: 288
Welcome to our newest member, TG100.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8/24 Preorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8/24 Preorder

Well, after days of trying to decide which Parental Unit combo I would go with, I finally decided to go with the black 525/island. I have many TB bags but for whatever reason I can not finalize an order with a Halcyon bag. I have other Halcyon products, just not a larger bag. One day. That Night Walk combo sure looks tempting.

The Night Walk PU was actually one of my definite choices. I have a black halcyon PU that I got on eBay and it's a really good fabric for this style, IMO. (And I'm not a huge fan of halcyon either, this will be my first that I've ordered from TB as opposed to getting it secondhand because I didn't have other choices).

Are you able to get both and return the one you like less?
    Last edited by Surrealle; 08-24-2021, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrealle View Post
      The Night Walk PU was actually one of my definite choices. I have a black halcyon PU that I got on eBay and it's a really good fabric for this style, IMO. (And I'm not a huge fan of halcyon either, this will be my first that I've ordered from TB as opposed to getting it secondhand because I didn't have other choices).

Are you able to get both and return the one you like less?
      I was debating that option. Do you know when the preorder closes?

Comment

I opted for the PU in 1050 Black, and have high hopes for it as an EDC/camera bag. I've wanted to try the 1050 for a while: I don't enjoy how easily the 525 picks up scuffs/stains, and have read here that the 1050 is better at avoiding them. I was also very tempted by the Night Walk (I prefer the halcyons when the grid isn't as noticeable), but wanted a thicker fabric so the bag holds its shape better.

Comment

Just spoke with Cody and learned that it will be open for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by k_p View Post
            I opted for the PU in 1050 Black, and have high hopes for it as an EDC/camera bag. I've wanted to try the 1050 for a while: I don't enjoy how easily the 525 picks up scuffs/stains, and have read here that the 1050 is better at avoiding them. I was also very tempted by the Night Walk (I prefer the halcyons when the grid isn't as noticeable), but wanted a thicker fabric so the bag holds its shape better.
            You will like the 1050. I have a couple with that fabric and they are tough. I have chosen the 525 for the fact it has a little more flexibility than the 1050 but not as much as the Halcyon.
            Last edited by MTeric22; 08-24-2021, 08:40 AM.

Comment

It’s so tempting.Too many constructive comments on using the Parental Unit as an everyday carry bag or as a camera bag. I love the Maker's Bag, but having a fully zipped shoulder bag would be a big plus. And seeing the Aubergine/Sitka colour combination is approaching the tipping point - and this could well compete with my previous favourite colour and not so recently seen Aubergine/Wasabi. Happy pre ordering everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by BigBadD View Post
                It’s so tempting.Too many constructive comments on using the Parental Unit as an everyday carry bag or as a camera bag. I love the Maker's Bag, but having a fully zipped shoulder bag would be a big plus. And seeing the Aubergine/Sitka colour combination is approaching the tipping point - and this could well compete with my previous favourite colour and not so recently seen Aubergine/Wasabi. Happy pre ordering everyone!
                I completely agree. Having a zippered messenger bag as opposed to my MB will be more helpful for me.

Comment

My favorite EDC bags are the MB and L15, depending on whether I need the extra support of backpack straps for longer outings. That said, when I heard the PU was coming back I dusted off one of my PUs to try (hadn't actually gotten around to using it yet, lol) and was very pleasantly surprised by how much I like it too. I ended up ordering 4 today: one halcyon, one 525, and two 1050s. Not sure yet if I'll keep them all but I didn't want to miss out given that this is a one-time shot at them.

It's funny though, I almost never use the pockets in the MBs but I really like the pockets in the PU, I think because they're more like dividers than anything. Very easy to keep stuff separate while still being easy to access. About the only thing I wish it had is a waist strap attachment point like the MBs have (for when my neck gets sore), but I may try to finagle a hack for that eventually.

Originally posted by k_p View Post
                  I was also very tempted by the Night Walk (I prefer the halcyons when the grid isn't as noticeable), but wanted a thicker fabric so the bag holds its shape better.
                  For what it's worth, I haven't had an issue with the halcyon being too floppy in the PU (the way it can be with the MB unless you add some structure). I think it has enough lining and structure from the pockets to be the perfect mix of firm and flexible.

Comment

I haven’t committed yet which is surprising for me. I’m 100% team halcyon but I saw the little bags in Auburgine and loved how they looked. Now I’m debating between red blend and halcyon.

Comment

Originally posted by TRD View Post
                      I haven’t committed yet which is surprising for me. I’m 100% team halcyon but I saw the little bags in Auburgine and loved how they looked. Now I’m debating between red blend and halcyon.
                      Me too! I ended up going with the Night Walk Paradigm but I was sorely tempted by the Aubergine and Red Blend version.

Comment

I’m not ordering a backpack, but I wonder if I should give the PU a try before it’s gone for good. No idea about color and fabric though, I like both the Night Walk/Tidal and the Steel/Wasabi and I suspect the bag is going to look and feel quite different in those two colors…

Comment

Originally posted by b1gsky View Post
                          I’m not ordering a backpack, but I wonder if I should give the PU a try before it’s gone for good. No idea about color and fabric though, I like both the Night Walk/Tidal and the Steel/Wasabi and I suspect the bag is going to look and feel quite different in those two colors…
                          The Night Walk is made with Halcyon and the Steel is 1050 ballistic nylon. The Halcyon will be more flexible and have what they call a tech appearance(grid pattern). The Steel will be more stiff but also more durable, if that is what you need. All the colors are nice but it really depends on your use and what conditions you need the bag to perform in. Good luck!

Comment

MTeric22 Thanks - I already have items in both fabrics (Halcyon SCB and DLBP in 400d and some travel bags in 1050d Steel), so I know pretty well how they both feel. I like them both, but I clearly prefer some bags in some fabrics and I'm not sure where the PU would fall on that spectrum. I love Steel as a color and it would be great to have an EDC bag in Steel, not just travel bags. But that Night Walk is tempting. Ordering both is a bad idea because returning isn't really an option with international shipping... Maybe I should just stick with the bags I have and wait for the Café bags and DLBP to be available in Night Walk. I have never seen the PU before IRL, so I'm not sure it might not be too big for me (the LCB looks a bit too big for my taste).

Comment

It's a shame that on the day that the Parental Unit pre-order starts, the stroller straps are sold out.

Comment

Working...
                              X