Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,493   Posts: 187,443   Members: 6,454   Active Members: 329
Welcome to our newest member, bored_and_agitated.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LGD as a camera sling bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LGD as a camera sling bag

I know it’s pretty specific, but—is anyone here using the Grand Derrière as a camera sling bag?

I’ve been trying out various slings for a large mirrorless camera and all are either over-engineered or too bulky. The LGD seems like a great alternative, my main questions being 1) what insert pairs well with it, and 2) how does it carry as a sling?

Thanks for any tips!

I haven't tried it yet with mine but I've seen reviews indicating that it doesn't carry especially well as a sling, and I doubt that would be helped by the higher weight of a camera setup.

Personally I'd be reluctant to put expensive gear behind me in a bag that doesn't have much in the way of anti-theft features. (To that end, I really like my Peak Design 6L sling/waistbag because you can thread the zippers together, which of course isn't 100% theftproof but is better than nothing.)

Also, honest question, if you're adding an insert to a non-bulky bag, isn't that just making it bulky?
    Last edited by Surrealle; 09-05-2021, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrealle View Post
      Also, honest question, if you're adding an insert to a non-bulky bag, isn't that just making it bulky?
      I hear you, but a true “soft-goods” bag is easier to pack, especially if the padding can be packed elsewhere, and I’ve found dedicated camera bags have padding everywhere when I really only need it around the camera glass.

Comment

My LGD won’t be delivered until later this week but this is the insert (size Small) I ordered for it. https://www.amazon.com/G-raphy-Camer...0877699&sr=8-1

Comment

Originally posted by rmedek View Post
          is anyone here using the Grand Derrière as a camera sling bag? I’ve been trying out various slings for a large mirrorless camera and all are either over-engineered or too bulky. ... my main questions being 1) what insert pairs well with it, and 2) how does it carry as a sling?
          Originally posted by Surrealle View Post
          ...I've seen reviews indicating that it doesn't carry especially well as a sling ...Personally I'd be reluctant to put expensive gear behind me in a bag that doesn't have much in the way of anti-theft features
          I have a few thoughts being a monthish in ... not sure if they'll help though

How does the LGD carry as a sling?
          Yes, as an EDC sling or with heavier camera gear, it doesn't do that snug-to-your-body thing like, say, the Aer City Sling, and the bag can slip a bit depending on your body shape & size - this is as good of picture as there is of sling style:

Click image for larger version  Name:	tom-bihn-beaver-camo-lgd-3_1728x.jpg?v=1619047704.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.3 KB ID:	335980
          As you can see it's large and the hip strap isn't really made for shoulder use (which is both good & bad depending ...): if you're looking for something of a similar size for camera duty w/ a dedicated shoulder strap, probably the Greenroom136 metromonger is right. The LGD is nice because it doesn't come with that shoulder strap bulk & therefore is more versatile and compact AND has multiple carry options for its size. In short, especially packed full, no, it's not an ultra-comfy-sleek sling; but it still is very slingable as you can see in the pic. I have no problems with it as a sling.

I carry it sling style about 60% of the time for whenever I want the quickclip functionality, i.e., hold it dangling over my back, grab the other clip with my other hand, clip to my chest; and then quick unclip when I want. This is handy when walking to/from the house/car and/or shopping or about town. In those times I store the shoulder strap in the backpanel.

Otherwise I use the shoulder strap & carry cross-body or use the hip strap ... which I have to say I use way more than I thought I would. hip is best for camera duty for me ... sometimes shoulder works, but for me it's more secure to hip carry.

Click image for larger version  Name:	tom-bihn-lgd-beaver-camo-2_1728x.jpg?v=1619047703.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.5 KB ID:	335981

Is it bulky? yes. Kind of.
          But that's compared to something like the Aer citysling which is obviously a much smaller pack, so if you want a bag this size, then it's not bulky for its size The compression straps on the side are key - without I'm not sure I'd want the bag as they work both for compression, but also to hold coats/tripods/other stuff via ball bungees, the TB bottle holder, etc

What about inserts?
          First I should noteI use a DSLR & have never been big on inserts as I don't need a lot of gear: typically just the body, 3 lens, small cleaning kit, & batteries/charger/memory cards. I used to carry my camera stuff in a Booq Python or a LowePro Fastpack but years ago I realized - for me - I didn't need all that stuff and switched to Tenba wraps for the stuff above (though I do have a small apecase lens case for 1 lens).

Here's most of that setup in an S30 along with my shoes and a PCSB ditty kit - you can see the Tenba-wrapped DSLR (w/a nifty 50) in the middle and the apecase lens case on the left (which, btw, can be threaded through the LGD compression strap just like the TB water bottle holder):

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=334676.png Views:	0 Size:	712.2 KB ID:	335982
          So to make a EDC camera case I just put that stuff into the LGD - the apecase also a charger & spare battery in it. That makes for a bit of a bulky fit, but many times I only bring the body+50+midrange lens which works much better. I don't need the charger or other stuff just for a few hours, but I do throw an extra battery & memory cards in the front pockets. FYI, the side pocket will also hold a lens! But, not a big one because it wobbles a bit and you wouldn't wanna carry something spendy that way other than for more stationary shoots.

So what's all that mean??? Well, I line the LGD with a Tenba wrap; then I put the rest of the stuff in there, some also wrapped but not fastened, and that's how I roll. Makes it super easy to get in/out of the bag, just like you see Nik doing above, and I've travelled like that including internationally for years and never had a problem.

What about security!?
          Well, I put 550 paracord pulls onto all my bags, made long enough to "lock", i.e., interweave the paracord pulls this has the benefit of being very stealth (ie. no conspicuous lock that says "spendy stuff in here thieves!"), very easy & convenient to use (no lock & key to keep track of), and leverages the bag's rainflap design - which also hinders anyone trying to open the bag, including you!

Here you can see the main compartment paracord pulls long enough to lock sticking out from under the rainflap on the upper right - it's very easy to lock them and tuck them under the rainflap:

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=334839.png Views:	0 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	335986

My 2 cents is, any thief dedicated enough to defeat interweaved paracord (as below) AND tucked under a rainflap is just going to take your bag and/or razor it open, and a visible lock attracts them, which is why I use the paracord method. With that (and always putting the zipper pulls to the back of, say, the airline luggage bin) I've never had a problem anywhere in the World **knock, knock**

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=334533&d=1627598378.png Views:	0 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	335985

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=334534&d=1627598468.png Views:	0 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	335984

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=334535&d=1627598566.png Views:	0 Size:	2.04 MB ID:	335983
          Last edited by GrussGott; 09-06-2021, 05:58 PM.
          Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

Super helpful, thanks so much for all the detail!

Comment

I just turned my LGD into a camera bag, and it is perfect. I shot a video demonstrating how I used the insert I got from Amazon and packed everything. Mine is primarily shoulder-carried, with waist as a backup. It holds a Nikon D7100 body and three of my lenses.

Here is the video.
              Meg
              -----
              Proud owner of a conifer/steel Synapse, indigo/black Swift, a couple of yarn stuff sacks, a clear organizer wallet and various organizer pouches

Comment

Thanks so much for this, great video and helpful to show how everything packs out.

Comment

Working...
                X