Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,525   Posts: 187,781   Members: 6,486   Active Members: 307
Welcome to our newest member, ozzyrussell.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations? Cleaning/destinkifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations? Cleaning/destinkifying

So I made the mistake of leaving an empty Co-Pilot on the sofa, where the dog promptly slept on it all night. The dog was (for a dog) quite clean, so it didn't look the least bit dirty, but then I made the second mistake of putting the bag away in a drawer, where it sat all summer.

So today, I opened the drawer and got slammed in the face with Eau de . A hound, no less, and I have one of those super-sensitive noses...

We can't just pop these into the washing machine, right?

It looks perfectly clean...

Of course, it's a great excuse to buy a new one, but my job is not stable right now.
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Nikwax Tech Wash. Not yet had reason to use it on any Tom Bihn bags, but used to hand-wash other rucksacks and bags.

Comment

I haven't used it, but a number of people in the Facebook group have reported using Dr. Bronner's with success.

Comment

Here's the TB reco on cleaning from the FAQ

https://www.tombihn.com/pages/faq#cl...epairs-returns

I would do the soak/rinse thing as mentioned in the FAQ, several times if needed, with air drying outside in sunlight if possible (sunlight/UV, whilst generally bad for synthetics over time, is antimicrobial and won't hurt for this).
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by Izzy View Post
          So I made the mistake of leaving an empty Co-Pilot on the sofa, where the dog promptly slept on it all night. The dog was (for a dog) quite clean, so it didn't look the least bit dirty, but then I made the second mistake of putting the bag away in a drawer, where it sat all summer.

So today, I opened the drawer and got slammed in the face with Eau de . A hound, no less, and I have one of those super-sensitive noses...

We can't just pop these into the washing machine, right?

It looks perfectly clean...

Of course, it's a great excuse to buy a new one, but my job is not stable right now.
          Hi Izzy Specifically for smells, in addition to following the washing instructions G42 mentioned, look for a product that used to be called Mirazyme (in older forum posts), and that is now called Revivex Odor Eliminator made by GearAid. I’ve pointed you to their product page since the Tom BIHN entry for GearAid ReviveX® Odor Eliminator hasn’t been stocked for some time, but you can buy this from several places, including Amazon, REI, camping stores, etc. Notice that their product description specifically refers to targeting body odor and pet odors, and there’s also a video on their project page.

The most poignant (pungent?) discussions of smell removal have been for bags that sat in cat urine for days. This apparently requires an enzyme soak (and for quite a while if it has really set in — you can do a search on “cat pee” for details). But in your case, the product I linked to above (that I mentally still have tagged as Mirazyme) should work if the simple washing instructions don’t get the smell out).

HTH

moriond

Comment

Working...
          X