Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,650   Members: 6,657   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, CamMattie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daylight Briefcase futures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daylight Briefcase futures

Darcy Will Night Walk be available on the Daylight Briefcase? Stocks are currently running low on the DLBC with only 2 colours available. When will we likely see a new run of them and what colours will likely be available? Will the new run include going back to the original (end) strap attachment points? Thank you.

Originally posted by BruceM View Post
    Darcy Will Night Walk be available on the Daylight Briefcase? Stocks are currently running low on the DLBC with only 2 colours available. When will we likely see a new run of them and what colours will likely be available? Will the new run include going back to the original (end) strap attachment points? Thank you.
    Not Darcy but I can help with this! There probably won't be a restock on Daylight Briefcases until 2022 at this point and Night Walk would be included when that happens, pending fabric availability, of course. Now that we're using the Racquet Coil zippers, it will go back to the old shoulder strap attachment too!

If you have a more immediate need for a Daylight Briefcase, we do have some going up for the Low Quantity Restock on 10/21

Comment

Originally posted by MikeV View Post

Not Darcy but I can help with this! There probably won't be a restock on Daylight Briefcases until 2022 at this point and Night Walk would be included when that happens, pending fabric availability, of course. Now that we're using the Racquet Coil zippers, it will go back to the old shoulder strap attachment too!

If you have a more immediate need for a Daylight Briefcase, we do have some going up for the Low Quantity Restock on 10/21
      Thanks for responding. I look forward to 2022, hopefully a broader range of colours and the return of the old/proper attachment points. I really don't like the side attachment - looks all wrong!

Comment

@MikeV please save some original halcyon for the new DLBC run

Comment

Originally posted by dmoneysong View Post
          @MikeV please save some original halcyon for the new DLBC run
          Original Halcyon isn't gone yet so I'll make note of that on our color request list, dmoneysong! I couldn't think of the last time we made Original Halcyon Daylight Briefcases so I just looked it up- 2016!

Comment

Originally posted by BruceM View Post
            Darcy Will Night Walk be available on the Daylight Briefcase?
            I'm hoping for this also or would LOVE a Moab! MikeV I think it's def time for DLBC Halycon run again (apparently I've been waiting since 2016 lol) and Cordura!

Comment

Ooh, a Night Walk exterior or a Moab interior (or both?) Daylight Briefcase would be AWESOME. Love those colors and have been debating on getting a DLBC for a while, that would probably put me over the edge.
              Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

Comment

Originally posted by Tonya View Post
                I'm hoping for this also or would LOVE a Moab! MikeV I think it's def time for DLBC Halycon run again (apparently I've been waiting since 2016 lol) and Cordura!
                Originally posted by Skirata44 View Post
                Ooh, a Night Walk exterior or a Moab interior (or both?) Daylight Briefcase would be AWESOME. Love those colors and have been debating on getting a DLBC for a while, that would probably put me over the edge.
                I have the Daylight Briefcase in 400d Halcyon and it works nicely. I don't think it would work in 200d Halcyon (and I'm one of the people who advocated for the 200d Halcyon or Parapack Side Effect for 5 years). It's really a different feel to the fabric. I understand why people who have only gone on the experience of 200d Halcyon might be reluctant to use the 400d Halcyon for luggage. Even though I carried a 400d Steel Synapse 25 from the first production batch, got the Nordic 400d Halcyon Synapse when that first debuted (and also the Swift in original Nordic), I really didn't think of this as a luggage fabric until I swapped some bags for the Original Nordic Western Flyer (I already had this in 1050d Ballistic Nylon with a Solar interior). I've had the DLBC in a range of materials (including Cordura and 525d Ballistic) but my preference is still for 400d Halcyon

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                  I have the Daylight Briefcase in 400d Halcyon and it works nicely. I don't think it would work in 200d Halcyon...
                  Thank you for sharing your experiences! I'm not good with fabric specs, but is it because of the weight? I wonder if it's because the 200d doesn't provide enough structure, or maybe wear resistance. I'm a landscape artist so I just go by color, which is why Moab caught my undivided attention lol. It's a good thing that I don't design pretty bags, just paint pretty things.

edited to add that I see TB only mentions 200d as an interior option. Dang it. Really like the color. Shame to hide it.
                  https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/a...halcyon-fabric
                  Last edited by Tonya; 01-19-2022, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post

I have the Daylight Briefcase in 400d Halcyon and it works nicely. I don't think it would work in 200d Halcyon (and I'm one of the people who advocated for the 200d Halcyon or Parapack Side Effect for 5 years). It's really a different feel to the fabric. I understand why people who have only gone on the experience of 200d Halcyon might be reluctant to use the 400d Halcyon for luggage. Even though I carried a 400d Steel Synapse 25 from the first production batch, got the Nordic 400d Halcyon Synapse when that first debuted (and also the Swift in original Nordic), I really didn't think of this as a luggage fabric until I swapped some bags for the Original Nordic Western Flyer (I already had this in 1050d Ballistic Nylon with a Solar interior). I've had the DLBC in a range of materials (including Cordura and 525d Ballistic) but my preference is still for 400d Halcyon

moriond
                    Oh, I'm aware that 200d Halcyon is usually only an interior color (and in the Daylight Backpack/Briefcases' cases, only paired with 400d Halcyon) but still-would absolutely LOVE to have Moab 200d as an interior for the Daylight Briefcase. Not sure if Night Walk 400d would match well with it, I haven't seen it in person, but I like the look of Black 400d Halcyon enough that it would convince me to get one if the interior was Moab. I have a Pilot in 400d Halcyon and I agree, it's a fantastic fabric for luggage. My next bag is probably going to come in it, whatever it winds up being.
                    Last edited by Skirata44; 01-19-2022, 06:28 PM.
                    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

Comment

Originally posted by Tonya View Post

Thank you for sharing your experiences! I'm not good with fabric specs, but is it because of the weight? I wonder if it's because the 200d doesn't provide enough structure, or maybe wear resistance. I'm a landscape artist so I just go by color, which is why Moab caught my undivided attention lol. It's a good thing that I don't design pretty bags, just paint pretty things.

edited to add that I see TB only mentions 200d as an interior option. Dang it. Really like the color. Shame to hide it.
                      https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/a...halcyon-fabric
                      Tonya I'm a tactile person as well as liking the colors -- I spent some time trying to post my experience of the the Grab Bags made in Cerylon as distinct from other materials. They could develop a 400d version of Moab to match the 200d Halcyon version -- after all, they did this for Taiga. (And by the way, I think that it's a pity Canyon 525d Ballistic Nylon was retired before it could be paired with Moab).

I like the Daylight Briefcase for a lot of the reasons that you seem to -- it's easy to access and unzip sections and contents while I'm wearing the bag in different positions. I've been getting the most use out of the Side Kick with its internal organization. I also like the Icon (size is intermediate between Small and Medium Cafe bags). It doesn't have the same organization inside the bag, but I really like the size, and before the Side Kick I used to most frequently carry around my Little Swift, which is more similar in size to the Icon. But if you look at the debut day thread for the Daylight Briefcase: The Little Briefcase that Can Fit Almost Anywhere: early Daylight Briefcase review you'll see that I give comparisons with the Imago rather than the Cafe Bags:
                      Daylight Briefcase and Imagos

If you're looking for a comparison with the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, go to post #193 dated 11-15-2014 by @bbb93fo57

Daylight Briefcase and PCSB original Halcyon
                      Here's the image seen from the top:
                      Daylight Briefcase and PCSB original Halcyon viewed from the top

I like the lighter weight of the (original) 400d Halcyon, but you may be able to match these with other material combinations. (The DLBC is deeper/thicker than the PCSB)

With the return to the original shoulder strap holder placement of the PCSB, you can piggyback the two bags together with double swivel carabiners if you want to extend your carry.

(This was one of @tpnl's pictures/hacks):
                      PCSB in front of DLBC
                      By the way, when the designs match (e.g. I also have the same combination in the 400d new black Halcyon with PCSB and DLBC) they look like a single personal item bag when you get on an airplane.

The Packing Cube Shoulder Bags (PCSB) do not have the same built-in organization as the Side Kicks, so if it's just 200d Halcyon, it can easily sag under certain items, if the bag is not full, or otherwise supported by its internal contents. This was more of a problem with the first version of the PCSB -- which was as long as the Aeronaut 45 end cubes (longer than the PCSB) and made of 200d Halcyon. If you carried a small, heavy object (e.g. a camera) and didn't have the rest of the bag filled (e.g. with a guide book running the length of the bag, or stuffed full of jackets) the bag simply sagged in the middle when you tried to carry it, and it was too long to be used in other travel bags (like the Western Flyer and Tri-Star -- not yet invented at the time). 400d Halcyon works better, or you can reinforce the front diagonal zippered pocket by inserting a medium double organizer pouch (or organizer pouch) there.

I really also like the way that you can stuff a sweater, etc in the back zippered pocket of the DLBC. This was the first time they experimented with having back pockets that could expand more in depth (not just hold flat stationary or folders).

HTH

moriond

Comment

moriond I liked Canyon a lot too, but I think it was only 210 ballistic
                        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                          moriond I liked Canyon a lot too, but I think it was only 210 ballistic
                          You’re correct that Canyon was 210d Ballistic Nylon (not 525d) — they matched it to the interior of the Mars Red Side Kick, for example
                          Mars Red Side Kick and Canyon Cube

This is @Awbee’s picture from the Sick Kicks + Cubelets in New 525 Ballistic Colors

Comment

moriond When I was researching carry and organizational options with the DLBC, I ran across several of your old posts that were extremely helpful. Much thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and such wonderful information!

Comment

Delighted that the DLBC with original strap attachment points is back in the pipeline. It's easily my favorite work bag of all time. Nothing has that same perfect balance of minimalism and functionality for me.

Just wanted to drop a note for MikeV to mention that I would love to see the DLBC in cordura again, especially in olive. My first ever TB bag was a burnt orange cordura DLBC. It's still going strong, but would like a friend.
                              EDC: Side Kick/Medium Cafe Bag | WORK: Daylight Briefcase/Synik 22 | GYM: Truck | TRAVEL: Synik 22/Smart Alec/Aeronaut 30

Comment

Working...
                              X