Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,650   Members: 6,657   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, CamMattie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daylight Briefcase futures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EmeraldYam View Post
    Delighted that the DLBC with original strap attachment points is back in the pipeline. It's easily my favorite work bag of all time. Nothing has that same perfect balance of minimalism and functionality for me.

Just wanted to drop a note for MikeV to mention that I would love to see the DLBC in cordura again, especially in olive. My first ever TB bag was a burnt orange cordura DLBC. It's still going strong, but would like a friend.
    Thanks for that feedback about the attachment points- that's helpful to hear! No Cordura in the works right now but I'll add it to our internal request log

Comment

Oh hello hello hello, I'm now jumping for joy! I swear this wasn't there yesterday, but whatever. IT IS MINE!
      https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...41503569150141

Comment

Originally posted by Tonya View Post
        Oh hello hello hello, I'm now jumping for joy! I swear this wasn't there yesterday, but whatever. IT IS MINE!
        https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...41503569150141
        It wasn't there - there was only black for halcyon options

Now I'm torn between Taiga and waiting for Night Walk... which apparently is caught up in the supply chain issues per a TB reply to a blog post
        And I could enable myself by telling myself to get Taiga now and NW later...but I do already have more than one DLBC!

https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/r...ticle-comments

I don't remember if you've seen NW in person Tonya, but its really nice and not bright or flashy.... but Taigas is great too - I really like my Paragon in it.
        Last edited by G42; 02-21-2022, 03:20 PM.
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
          I don't remember if you've seen NW in person Tonya, but its really nice and not bright or flashy.... but Taigas is great too - I really like my Paragon in it.
          I haven't seen Night Walk but I have a HLT1 in Taiga with the white grid and LOVE the color. Based on the photos, Taiga with black grid looks even better. I do love the looks of NW and would also go for that in a heartbeat, but Taiga would be my top pick. The only way I think they could have made this color combo better (for me personally) is to line it with Moab, which was what I was going to order in the LS tomorrow. However now with the upcoming Taiga DLBC restock, I may just order a few small Moab items (go ahead and scratch that itch) and wait for the DLBC. I don't mind the DLBC NWS interior at all - very happy with the combo. I've never been a huge Halcyon fan because it can be a semi-noisy fabric, but the new colors are wonderful. Plus, durability and appearance wise, Halcyon seems to weather much better around here than the 525 Ballistic.

I know you're tempted to go ahead and get the DLBC in Taiga, and I'd typically say to go for it because it's a TB bag and you can't go wrong, but I've rarely regretted waiting for what I really want. Usually just the opposite: I regret NOT waiting. Once they're able to get their hands on the fabric {fingers crossed}, TB is surprisingly fast with production for such a small operation. But if you also love Taiga (and I know that you already love the DLBC) well maybe you just need one for every outing!

See there, I'm really no help at all. Because if TB comes out with the DLBC in Cordura, I'll be getting a DLBC for every outing also.

Comment

See there, I’m really no help at all. Because if TB comes out with the DLBC in Cordura, I'll be getting a DLBC for every outing also.
            Tonya I have way too many DLBCs including a couple in Cordura. Linen is beautiful, but I typically use my Halcyon ones.

moriond When I was researching carry and organizational options with the DLBC, I ran across several of your old posts that were extremely helpful. Much thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and such wonderful information!
            Tonya I have to acknowledge that a large number of the posts you refer to simply rely on remembering/locating/summarizing the great wealth of innovative ideas and suggestions supplied by other forum members, and making sure that they are brought to everyone's attention.

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
              I have way too many DLBCs including a couple in Cordura. Linen is beautiful, but I typically use my Halcyon ones.
              Well let me know if you're ever up for rehoming one. As much as I love the 525 Ballistic because it's super tough, the surface hasn't worked as well for me so I've nearly given up on it. For some reason, in my hands and environment, it shows every little stain and scuff. I have noticed that some colors do better than others.

Originally posted by moriond View Post
              I have to acknowledge that a large number of the posts you refer to simply rely on remembering/locating/summarizing the great wealth of innovative ideas and suggestions supplied by other forum members, and making sure that they are brought to everyone's attention.
              That's a gift within itself. I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night. Thanks again!

Comment

moriond Awbee Oh MAN … I am really, really, really sorry I missed out on the Canyon color! Although if it wasn't available in the heavier fabrics I probably wouldn't have been able to or chosen to get my Aeronaut, MCB, etc. in it … but that would have been really great for accessories to all my burnt orange stuff. What a loss!
                ---
                My Bags: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe BagSide Kick Luminary 15Co-Pilot Aeronaut 30
                Canary Large Shop Bag Dawn Large Shop BagAubergine Everyday Cubelet
                With: Island Packing CubesTravel Tray Cubelet Dawn Wallet

Comment

Originally posted by Cooner View Post
                  moriond Awbee Oh MAN … I am really, really, really sorry I missed out on the Canyon color! Although if it wasn't available in the heavier fabrics I probably wouldn't have been able to or chosen to get my Aeronaut, MCB, etc. in it … but that would have been really great for accessories to all my burnt orange stuff. What a loss!
                  Canyon is a rare color but I have seen it a couple of times on eBay. If you set up alerts for "canyon" or "orange" you may be able to get an accessory or two in it.

Comment

Cooner,
                    That picture of Canyon 210 Ballistic Nylon was only excerpted and mentioned in this thread because I had stated that this is one of the colors that I thought would go really well with the new moab 200d Halcyon. One of the things that I dislike about the use of JSON code for image retrieval is that it often fails in instances where I had previously carefully linked images, so that the text appears but none of the images do -- unless I individually downloaded every single forum reference image on my computer and/or iOS device and uploaded it again. So even when my memory can bypass forum search to find the references, to find and paste in current working pictures I might have to go through 4 or 5 more referenced threads to get to the original source picture (assuming people wanted to see the pictures).

I gave a working link to the source thread for that Canyon picture (and many others of Cubelets, Side Kicks, etc. There are two more parent threads that you might be interested that appeared around the time that the new 525d and 210d Ballistic Nylon bags debuted. One is @Ilkyway's Shop Bags in knew colours and materials from 06-27-2017. She shows color swatch comparisions of the new materials grouped together. Here are a few examples relevant to Canyon (there are other groupings of related colors shown in the thread):
                    Comparison of Cloud Mars Red Canyon with S

Here's a comparison of Canyon, Coyote, and Mars Red Ballistic Nylon swatches with Burnt Orange Cordura
                    New Canyon, Mars Red and Coyote Swatches with Cordura Burnt Orange
                    Please visit the parent linked thread for more pictures and complete text discussion.

Another debut day thread about these colors used as bag linings was started by tpnl on 06-27-2017: All These New Fabrics - My Synapses Are Firing Like Crazy - What To Choose !?!

These showed the colors used as linings of bags (Synapse Backpacks, Cafe Bags, and the Ristretto):

Canyon and Grass as Synapse linings
                    That's a Synapse in 525 Black, one in 400d Black Halcyon, and one in 525 Deep Blue with linings of Canyon, Iberian Halcyon, Grass

Deep Blue/Canyon Cafe Bag and Burnt Orange Sprout

This is a Deep Blue Cafe Bag with Canyon lining next to a (retired) Sprout (kid's backpack) in 1050d Ballistic Nylon.

Again, refer to the parent thread for more discussion (including other included accessories like the (now retired) pouchkins for the First and Second Aid pouches

HTH

moriond

Comment

Cooner I forgot to include another of my own pictures of Canyon from the Just for Registered Members forum discussions in 12-27-2018. Since picture posted in that forum are not visible to people unless they are logged into these forums, I've uploaded it again. (Similarly, the threads and discussions under that forum are also not visible to people who are not logged into the TB forums, so there are lots of interesting discussions there that are not viewable to the general public).

Canyon swatch with Little Swift in Hemp
                      That's my Little Swift in Hemp. The color swatches are are for Canyon and Cloud in 210d Ballistic Nylon. The accessories overlying the Little Swift are the backs of Luggage Tags that were made in 1050d Ballistic Nylon Burnt Orange and Coyote. The unlabeled fabric swatch between them is the (then new) 525d Ballistic Nylon Burnt Orange. The Luggage Tags were informally retired in Spring 2021 according to this posted exchange between Darcy and BigBadD on 05-14-2021 titled Luggage Tags no longer found on TB website. (They could still be ordered a few weeks earlier, but they really did remove all traces of the product pages around that time). These were similar in size to the Pocket Pouches, and you can see some discussion with pictures in the Business cards and Tom Bihn luggage tags thread from 10-25-2015.

As for the Little Swifts, they debuted in 2010. Here's a 06-20-2010 review by @peregrina of the Little Swift in Hemp. (Hmmm, I see some old posters no longer show up identified). It was followed by another Little Swift review on 07-04-2010 by ncb4 of the Little Swift in Kiwi Ballistic Nylon. You'll notice a few small details that are different about the Little Swifts released then. The metal buttons for the closures are anodized black, and if you could see inside the bag, the zippers for the clear Urethane pockets are black, with black zipper tabs, instead of the gun metal gray tabs that they started introducing in the Side Effects in early February/late January of 2014 (see @taminca's Something's Different on the Side Effect thread). Also, the Urethane pockets that were used in 2010 for the Little Swift, Swift, and 3D Clear Organizer Cubes were totally non-sticky (see Question about the Urethane used thread from 05-21-2012).

HTH

moriond

Last edited by moriond; 02-27-2022, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X