Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,399   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, FlorBeadle.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bring Back the Grand Portage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bring Back the Grand Portage!

I just learned there used to be a bag called the Grand Portage and it checks ALL the boxes! Any chance this could make a return Darcy ?

Comment

I’ll take one in every size please also a 60l Road buddy duffle for the love !

Comment

Looks like a Road Buddy with an extra pocket attached. I have the 36L RB and it is a great bag for road trips.

Comment

I immediately thought "that's one of the Aeronaut's ancestors" before landing on the Road Buddy duffels. Just goes to show: evolution over revolution!
          A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Comment

I vaguely remember the Grand Portage ... but this post made me clearly remember the Road Buddy, which always struck me as the perfect travel duffel and which (alas) I never got around to ordering before it was retired. The Night Flight was close, but too boxy - and that's been retired too. Unfortunately the Yeoman is too minimalist for my taste - those side pockets on the Road Buddy were really sweet. (I know the Aeronaut can carry as a duffel and does include those side pockets. but there's something about its dimensions and proportions that doesn't do it for me.)

Would love to know if there are any plans for a successor to the Grand Portage/Road Buddy/Night Flight lineage, or are TB multipocketed travel duffels gone for good?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterJacques View Post
              Would love to know if there are any plans for a successor to the Grand Portage/Road Buddy/Night Flight lineage, or are TB multipocketed travel duffels gone for good?
              There was some discussion in the July Rare Bag Giveaway: Night Flight Travel Duffel! thread that a redesigned Night Flight is being worked on, but these are early days…

moriond

Comment

It's not the Grand Portage, but it is a vintage reissue duffel: did everyone see the bag in the photo in Tuesday's email newsletter? Here is is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ppb-news.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	336846

Caption: Nik, Tom, Ben, Mike, Lisa and Fong discuss the upcoming Old School Carry-All (OSCA) during a PPB (pre-production batch) meeting at the TOM BIHN factory and headquarters in Seattle (TBFHQS, wait, what?!)

More preview photos coming soon! We expect the OSCA will be released on 11/29.

Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Darcy is the OSCA more like the classic sports bag or one of the multi pocket duffels?

Comment

Originally posted by enotsd View Post
                    Darcy is the OSCA more like the classic sports bag or one of the multi pocket duffels?
                    The OSCA = classic Sports Bag

And in other duffel news: we plan to offer a Yeoman pre-order next year and are considering offering the Road Buddy as well. (The Grand Portage is quite similar to the newer Road Buddy.)
                    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Oh yes please! OSCA, Yeoman and new Road Buddy! Sounds like very good news....

Comment

Excellent news that we might get something similar again!

This bag (from the picture) also ticks a lot of my wants. Basically a 30-40L Pilot is what I want, as silly as that sounds. A true duffel doesn't have enough organization, but something like the TS has too much (in terms of straps on the interior) that I don't want. Just... lots of interior pockets / spaces, please!

Honestly I was hoping the Trinity might work for this, but maybe the Road Buddy reissue will be good.

Comment

I'm also very interested in what it will look like. I have a sort of hole in my lineup for medium-sized bags: on a recent train trip, I almost took my Pop Tote but the handles aren't ideal for carrying much weight or walking long distances. If the new "OSCA" is slightly bigger, with more organization and a shoulder strap, without being too heavy, that would be potentially useful. Anyway, it's always fun to see new designs! I loved the recent blog post on the designing process and it's fun to think about, since I wouldn't have the faintest idea what to do if someone gave me fabric and a sewing machine.
                          ----
                          All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                          Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
                          X