Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,399   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, FlorBeadle.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synapse 19 or Synik 22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synapse 19 or Synik 22?

1. To Synik 22 owners, how are the zippers holding up? I know they are stiff, but I’m worried they will loosen up over time and open on their own
    2. Is the Synik more likely to stand up on its own compared to the egg-shaped Synapse?
    3. If you have experienced both bags, how much bigger is the Synik 22 compared to Synapse 19?
    4. Can I please see photos of fully packed Synapse 19 and fully packed 22?

I’m having a hard time deciding between the Synapse 19 and Synik 22 for EDC and one bag travel. The Synik 22 is more appealing because of the square-ish look vs egg-shaped Synapse 19 and the extra 3 litres, but the BIG downside of the Synik is the clamshell! I think it’s a compromise on durability.

Welcome to the Forums checkpoint

I have a SN22, but I rotate through a lot of bags so mine is still basically new.

Tom Bihn does a lot of testing on their materials and designs... And they have a really good warranty to stand behind their work. If you don't find enough info on the product pages, FAQs, and this Forum, please consider reaching out to the fine folks in Customer Service for their input too.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by checkpoint View Post
      1. To Synik 22 owners, how are the zippers holding up? I know they are stiff, but I’m worried they will loosen up over time and open on their own
      2. Is the Synik more likely to stand up on its own compared to the egg-shaped Synapse?
      3. If you have experienced both bags, how much bigger is the Synik 22 compared to Synapse 19?
      4. Can I please see photos of fully packed Synapse 19 and fully packed 22?

I’m having a hard time deciding between the Synapse 19 and Synik 22 for EDC and one bag travel. The Synik 22 is more appealing because of the square-ish look vs egg-shaped Synapse 19 and the extra 3 litres, but the BIG downside of the Synik is the clamshell! I think it’s a compromise on durability.
      I really don't think you'll have a problem with the clamshell failing (and it's one of my favorite features for easy access). If you ever did, I'm sure TB would work with you to get it fixed under warranty, as G42 said.
      I say go for it with the 22! It's a really great bag

Comment

No such issue with clamshell zipper so far. It’s a rugged zipper, and yes it operates more easily with some use. But nowhere near being loose. Personally I do not see this becoming an issue.

Comment

I used my Synik 22 as an EDC for year until the pandemic started. I packed it full every day - laptop, lunchbox, Side Effect, Hydroflask, various other bits. No problems with the zipper. TB makes durable bags.

Comment

Hi checkpoint, I posted a review when the Synik 22 first released comparing it to the Synapse 19, which I think should be helpful for your questions #2-4. As for the zipper, it feels the same to me as it did on day one.

Comment

Thanks, aloha . Are there any wears on the zipper, especially on the bottom? I'm concerned the zippers might wear out over time due to having no zipper cover/ coating.

Comment

None that I can see. I'm not sure how much has changed since, but this thread on the zipper coating from 2014 might be of interest.

Comment

As someone that once went assoverteakettle walking down the steps of the Sydney Harbour Bridge the clamshell design has always worried me. On that fateful day after I gathered my senses, and eventually my belongings, I had to take stock of my backpack situation. The bag in question was of the clamshell design, used high quality American YKK zippers, and luckily for me it also had side compression straps. The backpack suffered a catastrophic zipper failure. I was able to get by with the compression straps, but it was a struggle. As much as I want a Synik the clamshell design has me sticking with my ancient Brain Bag. I know thousands of people everyday get by with just zippers, but I won't be one of them.

Comment

I've found the Synik zips to be very rugged. They don't easily unzip -- it takes a conscious effort to open them.
                    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
                    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Comment

Working...
                    X