Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,580   Posts: 188,314   Members: 6,539   Active Members: 284
Welcome to our newest member, tam017.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paragon One-Bagging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paragon One-Bagging

The Paragon has been my edc for about a month now. I first got one in the spring in black halcyon, my typical favorite outer fabric, but first impressions were not good and I ultimately returned it. In a quest for an edc it was recommended to me several times when the synapse 19 did not work out. I was initially against it since I’d had such a weird visceral reaction to it. But a fb member talked me into giving it go. Boy howdy am I glad he did so. I cannot explain why the ballistic fabric, a fabric in which I typically never buy, was just so perfect for this versatile little backpack. I’ll go into more review details further down.

I am an avid one-bag traveler and was very excited to try this out on a inaugural travel trip to see family over Thanksgiving. Packed inside are all my under stuff in an A30 packing cube backpack in fanny mode, all my other clothes in a small violet aether packing cube, my toiletries and other ditty-esq items in a navy parapack grab bag (also on its inaugural trip), size small ghost whale in scrap black and uv zipper with glasses, sunglasses, and prescription sunglasses, small uv pouch with passport extra cards and vaccine card. All those items only took up half space, the other half is fully choked up with a slanket (blanket with sleeves), probably over kill, but its 65 at my house and projected to be in 20s and 30s in NJ. I get cold EASY!

Thoughts initially; love the grab bag, but will reorder it any shade of purple the second it’s available. I need a large zip top bag for laundry but also because I like to switch from backpack to tote style. No purple shop bags, I guess dawn is the closest. While I love my uv packing cube backpack, its my favorite piece of gear ever, it absolutely sucks as a packing cube. The fabric is rubbery when turned inside out and snags and is horrible getting it in and out of the main bag. What I really need is another aether packing cube, but I’m stubborn and if it isn’t purple, I won’t add it to the collection, I know me, I’ll just return it (sorry Kat!) and buy in preferred shade. The paragon bag has made me love solaris, of course, another rare color.

The paragon: the new bound straps are the-bomb-dot-com. My shoulders, back, neck, and body just love the way it rides and fits. The solaris interior is joyful. This thing packs up and still fits more. Two things I dislike about the paragon, one is a minor grievance, the other really ticked me off. The minor is the rain flaps got caught on the zipper constantly, just forces me to slow down, which is a good life lesson in general. The front pocket absolutely infuriated me, I literally could not put anything in it that was not flat. I ended up having to utilize the interior zip pocket for all my quick grab items like charger and headphones. I get that TB crew is trying to go with a sleek look on the paragon with the front pocket, but it really needs to have at least an inch of fabric popping out to square it off to make it useful at all. I don’t care about the minimal aesthetic look with this, I need the function of an actual working front pocket. *rant over. Anyways, hopefully this helps all you out there getting ready to travel for the holidays. Have a merry one and safe break!
    Last edited by melminimalist; 11-21-2021, 01:51 PM.
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

I am guessing the Paragon here is being packed for 4 or more days?

Do you think you would use the Paragon as a one bag for greater than 1 week?

Is the front compartment accessible with the fullness the bag appears to be packed in the pictures?

I ordered halcyon and ballistic versions when the Paragon debuted. I immediately knew the halcyon had no structure and not workable for me. The laptop compartment offered some structure for the halcyon version though the rest of the bag just didn't maintain structure. I can see halcyon working in a Synapse or Synik with all the double fabric layers and form maintaining seams.

I have multiple ballistic Paragons and each has multiple uses. One has been by EDC in the tractor holding water bottles and lunch. The laptop compartment fit my clipboard in perfectly. A couple tools and spare parts rounded out the carry. After spring field work the black looked like coyote with all the dust. My other Paragon is my office companion. I paired it with a Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip for the front pocket organization. The point of my rambling is they are great bags being their simplicity yet enough features. Maybe a 25L version would be improvement for travel or maybe not. I think the zipper covers without zipper pulls make a pickpocket deterrent.

Comment

It was for 8 days of travel. It was definitely packed full which made access to the front pocket null. I could have under packed it by not taking a blanket, but I decided it was worth it. It’s an amazing bag and a 25 liter would the bees knees! 🐝
      "Not all who wander are lost"
      "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
      Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Comment

What I really need is another aether packing cube, but I’m stubborn and if it isn’t purple, I won’t add it to the collection, I know me, I’ll just return it (sorry Kat!) and buy in preferred shade.
        I really miss the all-fabric Aether packing cubes, too — and all the varieties that were made for the Yeoman Duffel, too.I miss Carbon as well as Violet. Will have to check whether the Violet Aether Packing Cube for the Large Yeoman Duffel is a reasonable fit to the Paragon, as I think that was the size closest to the Large A30 packing cube (but it was deeper) The Small Western Flyer Packing Cubes fit the Paragon. Another one of my gripes is that for the Western Flyer cubes in Aether, they never offered all fabric versions of the packing cubes, so I have these options in the Halcyon versions. But the Aether version of the Western Flyer Packing cubes use mesh — you don’t have the option of all-fabric Aether the way you did for the Aeronaut 30 Aether Packing Cubes. And I can tell you that the mods asked whether there was ever going to be laundry packing cubes for the Aeronaut 30 in Violet Aether, and were told no — so you could only ever find the small or large Aether Laundry Packing Cubes in Cloud or Island, even before there were material shortages.

moriond

ETA: unfortunately, I believe that Violet and Wasabi Aether (as well as Carbon, which was retired earlier), all count as retired colors for Aether. It’s why you see the evolution in the Aether pocket lining color options in the List - Everyday / Travel Cubelet thread. Just as they’ve decided to prioritize keeping Northwest Sky and Island 200d Halcyon in stock for linings and accessories, their Aether counterparts of Cloud and Island are similarly prioritized for packing cubes.

Last edited by moriond; 11-22-2021, 12:57 PM.

Comment

I've asked for more Aether colours on the Wish List
          and I think several folks have asked for packing cubes with handles like the former Yeoman and NFTD...it would be neat if there were some made for next year's Yeoman pre-order but that's probably just wishful thinking...
          I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
            I've asked for more Aether colours on the Wish List
            and I think several folks have asked for packing cubes with handles like the former Yeoman and NFTD...it would be neat if there were some made for next year's Yeoman pre-order but that's probably just wishful thinking...
            Yup! I’ve seen your request for more Aether colors, and agree — but I’d also be happy if they just brought back the old colors. And I also really liked the Aether Packing Cubes for the Stowaway — even though I’ve never owned (or got a chance to try) the Stowaway. They’re slim enough so that you can fit two of them, side by side, into the front zippered pocket of the paragon, and there’s a small loop at the top so that you can pull them out easily.

The Aether fabric makes it easy to pull these out of narrow pockets. I initially posted about this in response to someone who was asking about a travel stuff sack to carry an A5 notebook (this was before the Ghost Whale Organizer Pouches were available). At that time there were still some of these pouches to be had. Here are some pictures from another forum user who adopted this solution pouch.
            Originally posted by rose read View Post
            I've been searching for something to hold my journal and a few pens for a while now. I usually just toss everything in my bag, but after ruining a few notebooks with rain and leaky water bottles, that's no longer a solution. Luckily I got a Stowaway packing cube, and it's the perfect size for an A5 notebook and a pen pouch.

​​

​​

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            ETA: What makes these work with more options than the size A5 GWOP, is that they are easily sized to slide into additional external laptop compartments and stack. I showed this for the Luminary 15 laptop compartment (it also works for the Luminary 12) , but it also works for the Syniks. Here’s a link to a post I made in the Luminary 15 maximum laptop size? Will the padded pocket fit a Thinkpad T480s? thread that shows pictures.

moriond
            Last edited by moriond; 11-22-2021, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X