Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,742   Posts: 190,289   Members: 6,602   Active Members: 263
Welcome to our newest member, Cycw95.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Techonaut 30 or 45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Techonaut 30 or 45

Hi!

I have trouble deciding the size of the bag. T30 to me miss maybe 3-5l to be perfect size. But 45 is kinda big according to pictures. I travel in Europe where T45 when not packed fully can still be used as carry-on bag.

Thanks for recommendations.

Hi krakra

One way to approach this is to consider capacity, carry weight, fit, and then everything else.

For capacity, try gathering all the things that you would usually bring for a trip and stack them up... Measure your pile and calculate the volume.... See if what you'd want to carry is closer to the 30 or 45. Consider winter vs summer travel, work vs vacation travel, etc. and/or worse case vs typical.

Then weigh some of those mock pack outs... Could you comfortably carry a fully loaded (worse case) T45?
    Shoulder strap carry or hand carry...

Which leads to the backpack carry fit... I always recommend measuring your torso to compare against the bag vertical dimension... For some people, a bag that's too tall won't work.
    For the straps, unfortunately you won't be able to really tell until/unless you carry a loaded bag, but most folks seem happy with the new straps.

For all the other considerations, one would be the way you travel (like you mentioned European plane travel)...
    If you got the T45 on the assumption that you will under pack when needed, do you think you really will? Some folks have a hard time not filling space if it's there....
    Also, presumably you want to carry a laptop regularly in the bag otherwise you should also consider the Aeronauts (though I have carried my laptop in the main compartment of the A30 without issues, it's just less convenient).

Hope this helps a little, have fun!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I can only offer advice based on the equivalent Aeronauts. Personally I find the 30 is comfortable and practical to carry. By this, I mean not just for me, but also for those travelling around me! The 45 can, in crowded places or on transport, be awkward with it’s size. So unless travelling on longer trips where I want to maximise what I am carrying, I do prefer the 30.

Comment

I just ordered the 30 after considering both. I am 5'7 and was concerned the 45 would be too big to comfortably carry.

Comment

I have the Aeronauts in both 30 and 45. The 30 has been practical on many trips but the 45 is the better bag all around simply because it can be used with minimum stuff or filled up. You cannot get 32L in the 30L bag but it’s easy to carry a loosely filled 45L.

Comment

I found it easier to carry an under packed 45 than a stuffed 30. The 45 sat closer to my back, while the 30 tipped me backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston19 View Post
              I just ordered the 30 after considering both. I am 5'7 and was concerned the 45 would be too big to comfortably carry.
              Well, let us know how that works out for you. First time you need a bit more space is going to tell the real story.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogiesan View Post

Well, let us know how that works out for you. First time you need a bit more space is going to tell the real story.
                Just used it on a four day trip. Plenty of space and room to spare. I am very happy with the 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston19 View Post
                  Just used it on a four day trip. Plenty of space and room to spare. I am very happy with the 30.
                  Nice! I’ve used my A30 on three 4-5 day trips so far (one by car, two by plane) and it’s been great. Guess it depends on how light and minimal you’re able to pack your stuff.
                  ---
                  My Bags: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe BagSide Kick Luminary 15Co-Pilot Aeronaut 30
                  Canary Large Shop Bag Dawn Large Shop BagAubergine Everyday Cubelet
                  With: Island Packing CubesTravel Tray Cubelet Dawn Wallet

Comment

Working...
                  X