Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,650   Members: 6,657   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, CamMattie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would I find a Smart Alec for my Fiancé?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Where would I find a Smart Alec for my Fiancé?

    My fiancé owned a Smart Alec for years and absolutely loved it. The bag got destroyed during a bad car accident that happened to us end of last year. We have gone through some hard time for recovery and are both physically okay now.

    We also lost a few items that we really liked during the accident, and my Fiancé has been trying very hard to find either a very good substitute (i.e. my camera), or the exact same product as replacements on eBay (i.e. my baseball hat and my Adidas shoes which both are no longer in production anymore). We recently went to Florida for vacation, this is our first real trip after the car accident, and I actually noticed the difference with the backpack (he's using an old backpack of mine for Florida). As his birthday is coming up, I really wanted to get him a Smart Alec as a birthday surprise.

    His original SA is a gift from his parents so I secretly asked his mom and figured out the brand, but unfortunately Tom Bihn has discontinued the SA line, and because the line has been discontinued for a few years now, I didn't have any luck hunting down eBay and other second hand e-commerce website either. I'm hoping I can get some help from the forum here on how I could possibly get a SA for my fiancé - Thanks in advance for any help you'd provide!!!
    Last edited by G42; 01-02-2022, 02:00 PM. Reason: restored

    #2
    Welcome to the Forums ceibalovesoak !

    Lots of folks have found discontinued bags on eBay, Ravelry, Craigslist, and a Buy/Sell/Trade group on Facebook (buyer beware of course).

    TB has mentioned that they are considering bringing back the Smart Alec (possibly an updated version) for a pre-order, but no details or timing have been shared.

    You might want to consider the Shadow Guide packs; different organization than the SA but has a similar vibe. I have both a SA and the smaller SG and use them fairly interchangeably. The biggest difference may be that the newer SA's had the ability to add one or two outside pouches.

    Hope that helps & others chime in with thoughts.
    Last edited by G42; 01-02-2022, 03:17 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

    Comment


      #3
      Smart Alecs do come up from time to time on eBay and the TB Facebook groups (B/S/T and Superfans) so look regularly/daily there-keep a tab open. Set an eBay alert for the name, though sometimes a seller won't research a product and will just list it as a backpack instead. With older retired bags if you're not stuck on a certain fabric or color, then you'll cross paths eventually. I was looking for a certain color/fabric Imago and luckily found it after a three year hunt, but I've found other retired bags much quicker.

      Comment


        #4
        Hi ceibalovesoak.

        In addition to the sites G42 listed, I also sometimes see TB bags on Poshmark.

        I've also been watching for the Smart Alec re-release. Here is the latest timeline guidance I've seen from Darcy.

        Originally posted by Darcy View Post

        We're hoping for early 2022, but it could be later than that: the Smart Alec update is Nik's project (with collaboration from Tom) and he's been working on some internal systems/efficiency stuff that's taken his focus away from design for the time being. It is definitely in the works, regardless. Requested color combos noted
        It's very thoughtful of you to try to track another one down for your fiancé. Good luck!

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by G42 View Post
          Welcome to the Forums ceibalovesoak !

          Lots of folks have found discontinued bags on eBay, Ravelry, Craigslist, and a Buy/Sell/Trade group on Facebook (buyer beware of course).

          TB has mentioned that they are considering bringing back the Smart Alec (possibly an updated version) for a pre-order, but no details or timing have been shared.

          .
          There has been some discussion in the Lobby for pre-order Smart Alec run thread that Aventurera noted, but G42 is correct in her summary: in practice it is very difficult to make this concrete when they are juggling this with the scheduling of other bring back requests (like the Yeoman Duffel) and previously planned new product releases. Delays in receiving specific component parts can also factor in.

          HTH

          moriond
          Last edited by moriond; 01-03-2022, 08:10 AM.

          Comment


            #6
            Did you find one?

            Comment


              #7
              Ta da! They’ll be available for preorder on the 27th:
              https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...cts/smart-alec

              Comment


                #8
                Any chance for a Halcyon exterior option for the lighter weight? Would love something with a bright interior color like Blue. I don't think Island is an option anymore but something like that.

                Darcy

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Hoobury View Post
                  Any chance for a Halcyon exterior option for the lighter weight? Would love something with a bright interior color like Blue. I don't think Island is an option anymore but something like that.

                  Darcy
                  Yes, Darcy I definitely second this request. I have a nordic halcyon SA and was really hoping to add a Nightwalk, OG Halcyon, or Black Halcyon. Also, any option for a frame sheet? I'm glad to see the SA return and hope it sticks around for more than a single production run! (Also, liking the Paramour!).
                  Last edited by John1970; 04-21-2022, 02:03 PM.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Not Darcy buy stepping in with an answer here

                    I'm sorry to say we're not in a position with our 400d Halcyon fabric supply to support offering any of Smart Alecs in that fabric. For the weight conscious folks out there it's worth noting that the 525 ballistic bags are a weight savings from the older Smart Alecs that had 1000d Cordura side panels and 1050 main panel.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by MikeV View Post
                      Not Darcy buy stepping in with an answer here

                      I'm sorry to say we're not in a position with our 400d Halcyon fabric supply to support offering any of Smart Alecs in that fabric. For the weight conscious folks out there it's worth noting that the 525 ballistic bags are a weight savings from the older Smart Alecs that had 1000d Cordura side panels and 1050 main panel.
                      Mike, one other question. The website photo of the SA Black 525/Tidal shows the regular TB label and not the blackout label. Please tell me that is accurate! I'd love to see the return of the regular label on some of the black bags and have that be an option on this one in particular.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by MikeV View Post
                        Not Darcy buy stepping in with an answer here

                        I'm sorry to say we're not in a position with our 400d Halcyon fabric supply to support offering any of Smart Alecs in that fabric. For the weight conscious folks out there it's worth noting that the 525 ballistic bags are a weight savings from the older Smart Alecs that had 1000d Cordura side panels and 1050 main panel.
                        Mike, can you tell us whether the new Smart Alec has the back panel with the side-entry laptop pocket?
                        SG23 is my walk/bike commuter bag

                        Comment


                          #13
                          epeterson

                          Not Mike, but this was posted on the TB BST Facebook page when someone reached out about additional updates to the Smart Alec by Kat.

                          ... The Smart Alec's design will largely be the same, though we updated the shoulder straps to the Edgeless shoulder straps.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	278911223_10112452127847878_8495421567822974403_n.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	339413

                          I said in another thread that this is a bummer, but I am glad TB is still re-issuing this pack. Fingers crossed that this pre-order is successful and maybe we'd get a truly updated SA in the future.
                          Last edited by Aeon; 04-21-2022, 02:56 PM.
                          Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

                          EDC: Side Kick, Everday Cubelet, DL PCSB (planner pouch); Travel: Smart Alec + Side Kick, Small Yeoman Duffel

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by John1970 View Post

                            Mike, one other question. The website photo of the SA Black 525/Tidal shows the regular TB label and not the blackout label. Please tell me that is accurate! I'd love to see the return of the regular label on some of the black bags and have that be an option on this one in particular.
                            Yes- accurate! We've heard that feedback a lot and you'll start to see some black bags with that old label in the coming weeks / months.

                            Originally posted by epeterson View Post

                            Mike, can you tell us whether the new Smart Alec has the back panel with the side-entry laptop pocket?
                            No changes to the design in that aspect.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by MikeV View Post

                              Yes- accurate! We've heard that feedback a lot and you'll start to see some black bags with that old label in the coming weeks / months.



                              No changes to the design in that aspect.
                              Thanks Mike. Reports were that the updated SA would have the same laptop compartment, back panel, etc. as the Shadow Guide v2. Is the plan to at some point offer a SA with those updates?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X