Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,735   Posts: 190,185   Members: 6,595   Active Members: 265
Welcome to our newest member, bosticderek.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would I find a Smart Alec for my Fiancé?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• latchford
    replied
    Originally posted by moriond View Post
    BTW, I remember how intensely some earlier forum members lobbied for a return of the Smart Alec, and I feel really sad that some forum members like panda2mama who posted so often requesting its return may not be aware of this preorder.
    I can tell you that panda2mama did pre-order a SA the moment it opened so they're definitely aware of it

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by John1970 View Post

Yes, Darcy I definitely second this request. I have a nordic halcyon SA and was really hoping to add a Nightwalk, OG Halcyon, or Black Halcyon. Also, any option for a frame sheet? I'm glad to see the SA return and hope it sticks around for more than a single production run! (Also, liking the Paramour!).
    John1970 I haven't seen a response to your question about a frame sheet, so I'll just mention that when we experimented with how the different frame sheets could act as options for a variety of bags, I think the most optimal solution (for me) was the frame sheet for Aeronaut 30 paired with its own T-bar for suspending from the cache webbing loops. The frame sheet for the Aeronaut 45 is currently in stock (and the frame sheet for the Aeronaut 30 is not), but that one is slightly long for the Smart Alec (pushes against the bottom of the bag when it is inserted). The forum update has done a fair job of messing with links and also dropping a lot of relevant pictures so that you have to really work to retrieve what's there, but most of the excerpted content and images relevant to the Aeronaut 30 frame sheets used in the Smart Alecs can be found in the Frame Sheet for the Brain Bag thread. It is seriously not worth the effort it would take to track down the original images showing how bad the various Synapse frame sheet fits are for this usage.

BTW, I remember how intensely some earlier forum members lobbied for a return of the Smart Alec, and I feel really sad that some forum members like panda2mama who posted so often requesting its return may not be aware of this preorder.

HTH (and yes, I have the Smart Alec in New Black Halcyon/Island with both matching upper and lower modular among my bags). I will comment that I found the webbing fits to the Upper and Lower Modular pocket gatekeeper clips seemed much tighter in the later versions of the bag than on the earlier Halcyon or 1050d Ballistic versions of the Smart Alec.

moriond

Leave a comment:

• John1970
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeV View Post

Yes- accurate! We've heard that feedback a lot and you'll start to see some black bags with that old label in the coming weeks / months.

No changes to the design in that aspect.
    Thanks Mike. Reports were that the updated SA would have the same laptop compartment, back panel, etc. as the Shadow Guide v2. Is the plan to at some point offer a SA with those updates?

Leave a comment:

• MikeV
    replied
    Originally posted by John1970 View Post

Mike, one other question. The website photo of the SA Black 525/Tidal shows the regular TB label and not the blackout label. Please tell me that is accurate! I'd love to see the return of the regular label on some of the black bags and have that be an option on this one in particular.
    Yes- accurate! We've heard that feedback a lot and you'll start to see some black bags with that old label in the coming weeks / months.

Originally posted by epeterson View Post

Mike, can you tell us whether the new Smart Alec has the back panel with the side-entry laptop pocket?
    No changes to the design in that aspect.

Leave a comment:

• Aeon
    replied
    epeterson

Not Mike, but this was posted on the TB BST Facebook page when someone reached out about additional updates to the Smart Alec by Kat.

... The Smart Alec's design will largely be the same, though we updated the shoulder straps to the Edgeless shoulder straps.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	278911223_10112452127847878_8495421567822974403_n.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	339413

I said in another thread that this is a bummer, but I am glad TB is still re-issuing this pack. Fingers crossed that this pre-order is successful and maybe we'd get a truly updated SA in the future.
    Last edited by Aeon; 04-21-2022, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• epeterson
    replied
    Not Darcy buy stepping in with an answer here

I'm sorry to say we're not in a position with our 400d Halcyon fabric supply to support offering any of Smart Alecs in that fabric. For the weight conscious folks out there it's worth noting that the 525 ballistic bags are a weight savings from the older Smart Alecs that had 1000d Cordura side panels and 1050 main panel.
    Mike, can you tell us whether the new Smart Alec has the back panel with the side-entry laptop pocket?

Leave a comment:

• John1970
    replied

I'm sorry to say we're not in a position with our 400d Halcyon fabric supply to support offering any of Smart Alecs in that fabric. For the weight conscious folks out there it's worth noting that the 525 ballistic bags are a weight savings from the older Smart Alecs that had 1000d Cordura side panels and 1050 main panel.
    Mike, one other question. The website photo of the SA Black 525/Tidal shows the regular TB label and not the blackout label. Please tell me that is accurate! I'd love to see the return of the regular label on some of the black bags and have that be an option on this one in particular.

Leave a comment:

• MikeV
    replied

Leave a comment:

• John1970
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoobury View Post
    Any chance for a Halcyon exterior option for the lighter weight? Would love something with a bright interior color like Blue. I don't think Island is an option anymore but something like that.

Darcy
    Yes, Darcy I definitely second this request. I have a nordic halcyon SA and was really hoping to add a Nightwalk, OG Halcyon, or Black Halcyon. Also, any option for a frame sheet? I'm glad to see the SA return and hope it sticks around for more than a single production run! (Also, liking the Paramour!).
    Last edited by John1970; 04-21-2022, 02:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hoobury
    replied
    Any chance for a Halcyon exterior option for the lighter weight? Would love something with a bright interior color like Blue. I don't think Island is an option anymore but something like that.

Darcy

Leave a comment:

• Cristina
    replied
    Ta da! They’ll be available for preorder on the 27th:
    https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...cts/smart-alec

Leave a comment:

• Mbladen3210
    replied
    Did you find one?

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by G42 View Post
    Welcome to the Forums ceibalovesoak !

Lots of folks have found discontinued bags on eBay, Ravelry, Craigslist, and a Buy/Sell/Trade group on Facebook (buyer beware of course).

TB has mentioned that they are considering bringing back the Smart Alec (possibly an updated version) for a pre-order, but no details or timing have been shared.

There has been some discussion in the Lobby for pre-order Smart Alec run thread that Aventurera noted, but G42 is correct in her summary: in practice it is very difficult to make this concrete when they are juggling this with the scheduling of other bring back requests (like the Yeoman Duffel) and previously planned new product releases. Delays in receiving specific component parts can also factor in.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 01-03-2022, 08:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Aventurera
    replied
    Hi ceibalovesoak.

In addition to the sites G42 listed, I also sometimes see TB bags on Poshmark.

I've also been watching for the Smart Alec re-release. Here is the latest timeline guidance I've seen from Darcy.

Originally posted by Darcy View Post

We're hoping for early 2022, but it could be later than that: the Smart Alec update is Nik's project (with collaboration from Tom) and he's been working on some internal systems/efficiency stuff that's taken his focus away from design for the time being. It is definitely in the works, regardless. Requested color combos noted
    It's very thoughtful of you to try to track another one down for your fiancé. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• threeteez
    replied
    Smart Alecs do come up from time to time on eBay and the TB Facebook groups (B/S/T and Superfans) so look regularly/daily there-keep a tab open. Set an eBay alert for the name, though sometimes a seller won't research a product and will just list it as a backpack instead. With older retired bags if you're not stuck on a certain fabric or color, then you'll cross paths eventually. I was looking for a certain color/fabric Imago and luckily found it after a three year hunt, but I've found other retired bags much quicker.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X