Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,623   Posts: 188,921   Members: 6,609   Active Members: 294
Welcome to our newest member, lammy.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trading/purchasing rules for the forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trading/purchasing rules for the forum?

Hi there, I'm relatively new to the forum and due to circumstances, I can only navigate it with my smartphone. Also, I am out in the middle of nowhere, so I usually have horrible service. So please forgive me if this was asked before or if it's clearly written somewhere on the website; I have such trouble navigating with my.old smartphone that I can't seem to find the answer.

I'm basically wondering what the rules are for trading/buying bags from other forum members? Is it allowed? Not allowed? Only allowed in a certain discussion thread? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking for bags in colors that are retired, and it's quite hard to find them! I'd love to buy them from someone here if they aren't using them. Or even offer something as a trade even if I don't have much.

I'm a member of the Facebook group, but most things that get posted there that are a retired color get snapped up almost instantly.

Thanks for the help!

Hi! There's actually more than one Tom Bihn FB group. Have you tried writing a Want To Buy (WTB) post? Everyone is so helpful and will often remember who is looking for what colour and make special mention if found, tagging you in the post.

Comment

Isn't that what this sub-forum is for?

Comment

bijoux Thank you for your response. I have made some WTB posts several times. I'm looking for a Fjord or OG nordic PCSB so I don't think my WTB posts will do anything haha. I'm sure everyone there is looking for the same thing.

​​​​​​I am a member of both Facebook groups. But unless I'm mistaken, while maybe not as active, the forum has many more members than the FB groups do.

Comment

dirkhaun it sure looks like that is what it WAS used for. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be active. :/

Comment

Originally posted by Fukuromomonga View Post
            Hi there, I'm relatively new to the forum and due to circumstances, I can only navigate it with my smartphone. Also, I am out in the middle of nowhere, so I usually have horrible service. So please forgive me if this was asked before or if it's clearly written somewhere on the website; I have such trouble navigating with my.old smartphone that I can't seem to find the answer.

I'm basically wondering what the rules are for trading/buying bags from other forum members? Is it allowed? Not allowed? Only allowed in a certain discussion thread? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking for bags in colors that are retired, and it's quite hard to find them! I'd love to buy them from someone here if they aren't using them. Or even offer something as a trade even if I don't have much.

I'm a member of the Facebook group, but most things that get posted there that are a retired color get snapped up almost instantly.

Thanks for the help!
            As someone with a tiny phone, and even more so as someone who has struggled more than most to use the forums since the software upgrade, I sympathize.

In fact, I am embarrassed to admit that I can’t even find the forum rules from my phone and I’m a moderator! I’ll have to come back from a different device and add them in.

In short, it’s not permitted to buy/sell bags on these forums but there is a bag trading sub-forum, linked above by dirkhaun. The Tom Bihn BST & Discussion group on Facebook is quite active, and there is always eBay, Craigslist, Poshmark, etc.

Good luck with your trade!

Comment

Cristina Thank you for help. I knew I wasn't crazy when I couldn't find the rules from my phone either!

I'll keep trying on those other platforms like you mentioned, then! Thanks.

Comment

Fukuromomonga

Here's the Forum Rules & Guidelines post

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...les-guidelines

It's in the Forum Rules & Guidelines sub-Forum, which on my Android phone running Firefox appears as the last sub-Forum, so you have to scroll down to get to it

As for the items you're looking for, in terms of availability, moriond can confirm if the Original white grid black halcyon was used for the PCSB... It's a 400d fabric and TB normally uses the lighter ones, though they did have to use the heavier for a short time, at least once, due to material shortages. I have an original Nordic produced at that time.
                There was also Steel halcyon, a white grid less saturated black that looks more charcoal grey to me, that you might like. I believe there should be more of those in existence.
                Fjord was used for PCSB, but Fjord was a limited edition colour in general, so maybe not as many in existence and folks might not want to give theirs up.

The PCSB are useful, can be used inside a bag or on their own, and thus are a good way to really check out a fabric colour... It's also probably the least expensive way to buy a big shock of a limited edition halcyon, another reason you may not seem them offered up a lot. All of my rare ones came from Ravelry as complicated trades or purchase.

It definitely takes patience and luck, I looked for several years for mine.
                Last edited by G42; 01-15-2022, 06:46 AM.
                I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Thank you G42! You know, I looked at that Forum Rules forum and convinced myself it was a mod forum 🤦🏻‍♀️ Thanks for setting me right.

Comment

Thanks for the response G42 . I hate to bother you with this, but do you at all mind linking me to the place on ravelry that you were able to buy/trade for more rare items? I'd like to try my luck there.

I'm all good with patience and luck, but I wish I had found TB just a few years earlier, haha!

Comment

G42 nevermind, I think I found the forum there! Coincidentally, I think I actually responded to your ISO there (unless there is another, different G42 user there).

Comment

Originally posted by Fukuromomonga View Post
                        G42 nevermind, I think I found the forum there! Coincidentally, I think I actually responded to your ISO there (unless there is another, different G42 user there).
                        Yep, you found it! and that is the same me on that Forum (they have a sticky thread called TB Forum Crossover to help show who is on both), except that version of me is a very very beginner knitter
                        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

G42 awesome, now I can poorly navigate TWO forums

Comment

Set alerts on eBay for both colors and the bag (by PCSB name and maybe just packing cube), though a bag can post and it seems the email alert will come hours later. Leave eBay as an open tab and check it often since some sellers won't know the correct names for colors or the bags so the alert won't capture those. Post on Ravelry and the two FB BST and Superfans groups-the FB groups are very active for trading and selling and are good for expanding a bag collection from what I can tell (I'm pretty much done adding to my TB stash). Fjord debuted in March of 2016 (limited edition fabric so likely not higher production numbers like fabrics that are around for years) and I think OG Nordic retired ~2014 so realistically they aren't going to be seen super often since they're older fabrics at this point. It took me three years to find a retired Plum cordura Imago and I've been looking for seven years for a Kiwi/OG Nordic Pocket Pouch. It's never impossible, but it will be a targeted hunt over time. Good luck on your search!

Comment

threeteez thanks for the advice! Coincidentally, I know someone on the FB group that has that EXACT pocket pouch you're looking for...

Comment

Working...
                              X