Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,772   Posts: 190,625   Members: 6,655   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, basil.bourque.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paramour - Great Bag -- But TERRIBLE Name!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paramour - Great Bag -- But TERRIBLE Name!!

The new Paramour looks like a wonderful new TB Bag!!! But the name is HORRIBLE!!! Why? Anyone who has ever had a spouse to cheat on them and then sues in divorce court knows that in the legal world a Paramour is the person that your spouse had an affair with!!!! So, I think I will love the new Paramour---But not the name!!! It brings back too many bad memories!!!! :-(

Well, you're not wrong..

paramour
    noun
    par·​amour | \ ˈper-ə-ˌmu̇r , ˈpa-rə- \Definition of paramour

: LOVER specifically : an illicit or secret lover
    a married man and his paramour

Maybe "paramount" would be better..

Definition of paramount

: superior to all others : SUPREME

paramount

noun
    Definition of paramount (Entry 2 of 2)

: a supreme ruler

Comment

TB has renamed bags in the past, so maybe they’ll rethink the name for this one. I ordered 2 (Aubergine & Deep Blue), but I won’t be calling them by name. When they were announced, I love the look, but I cringed at the name.

Comment

Maybe they'll combine a side effect and a side kick and call it a "side piece".

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Comment

Yeah, if I was carrying one and someone asked me about it, I'd probably just call it a "backpack". The Paramour thing is funny but more of an inside joke for us Tom Bihn people.
          ----
          All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
          Edmund Burke

Comment

an illicit or secret lover
            The name doesn't bother me, but there is nothing secret or illicit about my love for bags
            SG23 is my walk/bike commuter bag

Comment

Originally posted by epeterson View Post

The name doesn't bother me, but there is nothing secret or illicit about my love for bags
              It doesn't bother me either but given the actual definition of the word, I can understand why some might view it as a poor choice. (I thought it just meant "lover" until I looked it up, I didn't realize it had negative connotations.)
              Last edited by Surrealle; 04-29-2022, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I suggest a french reading of the name: "par amour" which means "for love" or "out of love"
                ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
                current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby View Post
                  I suggest a french reading of the name: "par amour" which means "for love" or "out of love"
                  I'm no sage, but I think this is where the word paramour actually came from (based on the spelling). According to Webster, par amour is no longer used in the modern French language and actually means almost the same thing > "Since par amour meant 'through love', it implies a relationship based solely on love, often physical love, rather than on social custom or ceremony. So today it tends to refer to the lover of a married man or woman, but may be used for any lover who isn't obeying the social rules."

So maybe this bag was born out of Tom Bihn's love of breaking all the bag industry's rules? But yeah, I don't think I'd repeat the bag name in general public.

Comment

I hadn't really given the name too much thought, but I guess if you overheard someone talking to a friend saying, "I'm taking my Paramour along for a quick weekend trip," that might sound more...salacious than the reality. Interesting peek into the French roots of the word, though - always enjoy a bit of linguistic digging around like that.

Comment

I don't seem to hang around any bag geeks IRL, no one ever asks me the name of one of my bags.... Sometimes the manufacturer brand, but not the item name
                      My biggest problem with the name is that I already have issues with Paragon vs Paradigm... Adding Paramour just increases that, since none of them 'make sense' to me via a vis the actual bags..
                      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by ittoujuu View Post
                        I hadn't really given the name too much thought, but I guess if you overheard someone talking to a friend saying, "I'm taking my Paramour along for a quick weekend trip," that might sound more...salacious than the reality. Interesting peek into the French roots of the word, though - always enjoy a bit of linguistic digging around like that.
                        Now I really want a Paramour. Being able to say to a friend or relative "I'm taking my Paramour along for a quick weekend trip" just to see their reaction would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                          I don't seem to hang around any bag geeks IRL, no one ever asks me the name of one of my bags.... Sometimes the manufacturer brand, but not the item name
                          My biggest problem with the name is that I already have issues with Paragon vs Paradigm... Adding Paramour just increases that, since none of them 'make sense' to me via a vis the actual bags..
                          Oh my YESssss!!! I also don't hang around with bag geeks, so I definitely wouldn't want to inadvertently mention to someone that I'm taking my Paramour along for an overnight stay in Venice, although I admire Shortie for being able to keep a straight face while casually dropping hints about said excursion.

But G42 nailed it regarding confusion. I can't keep the names/fabrics/dimensions straight, even without multiple P names. I still have to look up online specs whenever someone mentions Paragon vs Paradigm vs Zeitgeist. I'm a fan of labeling something by specs, e.g. 15L vs 21L vs 26L. I do admire the TB creative team but wish it was much more simple to sort through the baggage, so to speak.
                          Last edited by Tonya; 04-29-2022, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X