Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,768   Posts: 190,599   Members: 6,653   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, larson58.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else long for bags that they probably won't use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone else long for bags that they probably won't use?

I ordered a DLBC and absolutely loved everything about it except that it was just too big for my use, so I returned it. But the thing is, it is such a great bag that I still want it and look at it almost every week, wishing that I still had it. And now they cost more - eek! Not a huge price increase, so I'm still tempted. With the knitting goods preorder, I almost ordered a LS but then chickened out at the last minute because I'm certain that the plastic on the clear interior pockets will drive me batty. There's a LS for sale right now on the site in the EXACT color that I wanted. (Is it a sign from the bag universe saying that I should just go ahead and get it?) Oh gee, so tempted tempted tempted. If only I could win the lottery, then I could own bags without caring whether I use them or not. Alas, on my budget it had better be useful or I just can't justify purchasing it. I'm thinking that I might use that LS though...

I think I have like 6 or 8 storage totes of TB bags at this point, many still with tags on. I don't know whether to be proud of that or not, lol.

(In my defense, they do hold their value quite well if I ever need to sell them).

On a more amusing note regarding price increases, I stumbled on a review of the SA from 2003 the other day and it mentioned that the list price was $95. Kind of blew my mind to realize how much things have changed in 20 years.
    Last edited by Surrealle; 05-04-2022, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I struggle with this at times, too. If there is a bag in a colorway and fabric I like, I add it to my wishlist. Every few months I'll browse my wishlist and invariably there will be a bag or accessory that I have no idea why I was interested in it in the first place. There are bags that have been on my wishlist for years; I just remind myself TB bags are too expensive not to be used and I don't need to have a bag for every hypothetical use case. If I've gone this long without a bag and am doing just fine without, it's a-okay if I still don't have it.

That said, I love black halcyon and knowing there is a good chance the fabric will be discontinued -- temporarily or permanently -- I am definitely checking the quantities of the bags I'd want in that fabric even if I don't have a need for them right now. I know there are a few that I'd regret not purchasing and having the option to return if I didn't like them when I had the chance.
      Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

EDC: Side Kick, Everday Cubelet, DL PCSB (planner pouch); Travel: Smart Alec + Side Kick, Small Yeoman Duffel

Comment

Surrealle I'll just say that I know what you mean...
        I partly think of it as 'renting'... If I get a bag and don't ever end up using it, it does hold it's value pretty well, so I'm out the opportunity cost of the money, maybe a little value, and the fuss of selling...
        But it has worked out that some items I have been able to trade to get discontinued things that I really want and use.

Tonya I hear you though on having to choose what we spend on... No one can afford all of them... What I'll say is if a particular bag haunts you, keep an eye on the used market and you may luck out on one that is a pretty good deal.

Oh, and regarding the SA cost...I ran the numbers through the calculator and the price progression seems pretty close to compounding inflation over 20 years
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by Aeon View Post
          I struggle with this at times, too. If there is a bag in a colorway and fabric I like, I add it to my wishlist. Every few months I'll browse my wishlist and invariably there will be a bag or accessory that I have no idea why I was interested in it in the first place. There are bags that have been on my wishlist for years; I just remind myself TB bags are too expensive not to be used and I don't need to have a bag for every hypothetical use case. If I've gone this long without a bag and am doing just fine without, it's a-okay if I still don't have it.

That said, I love black halcyon and knowing there is a good chance the fabric will be discontinued -- temporarily or permanently -- I am definitely checking the quantities of the bags I'd want in that fabric even if I don't have a need for them right now. I know there are a few that I'd regret not purchasing and having the option to return if I didn't like them when I had the chance.
          I do the wishlist thing also, and I also often wonder, "Hmmm why did I wishlist that?" But much of my wishlist is things-I-might-could-use. Of course, it's the *might could* that's so tempting, but I totally agree with you about not needing a bag for every hypothetical use. I'm grateful that we do have money for plenty of extras around here, but I'm a minimalist at heart and just can't justify owning something that I don't use unless it's a non-utilitarian object. Maybe I could start framing TB bags as art?

Originally posted by Surrealle View Post
          On a more amusing note regarding price increases, I stumbled on a review of the SA from 2003 the other day and it mentioned that the list price was $95. Kind of blew my mind to realize how much things have changed in 20 years.
          I've mentioned this in the forum many times but my first TB bag was a DLBP about 6-7 years ago and I groaned at the price at the time, which was less than it is now. I has been on countless adventures with me yet still looks almost as good as the day I bought it, and I still carry it all the time. Worth every penny and much more, so maybe you should be proud of your totes full of TBs.

I posted mainly for someone to talk me off of my ledge, commiserate with me, or push me over. But it's fun to talk about how lovely these bags are, how we want all the bags, even if we don't always buy all the bags... but really wanna.

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
            What I'll say is if a particular bag haunts you, keep an eye on the used market and you may luck out on one that is a pretty good deal.
            Oh believe me, I'm not so worried about a deal because if I could find a DLBC in an Olive or Cocoa Cordura, I'd be quite afraid what I might be tempted to spend on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonya View Post

Oh believe me, I'm not so worried about a deal because if I could find a DLBC in an Olive or Cocoa Cordura, I'd be quite afraid what I might be tempted to spend on it.
              That actually means you should just hold out... Because one may come up at some point and then you'd be ready.

I really like original white grid Nordic, (which was long gone by the time I found TB) and over time managed to get the Copilot, Pilot, Western Flyer and Shop Bag... Some were very expensive and some not as much, but it took several years to get them.

But if your post was actually a Subtle Request For Enabling, well then... Buy The Bag! 😂
              (I have two of 'em and would have bought another if Night Walk had been offered)
              I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Black halcyon is going out of stock?

Comment

Originally posted by cucumber.sandwich View Post
                  Black halcyon is going out of stock?
                  The mill that makes TB's 400d halcyon has shut down and TB is currently searching for a new supplier. Right now, the 400d halcyon TB has on hand is all they have. So the future of 400d halcyon is up in the air, but that's really all I know. There hasn't been any official word that 400d halcyon is being discontinued or retired, but TB is being very judicious with their remaining stock.

Originally posted by MatthewR View Post
                  400 Halcyon's definitely been on our mind a lot lately and with our supply chain issues, it creates some hard choices about what to use it in and what not to. In the end we decided not to use it in the SA.
                  G42 answered a question about the Paragon in Nightwalk:

I'm assuming it's a 'no' unless they decide to redirect limited supplies, but I'm think they just don't have it unallocated... they had answered a similar question regarding the Paramour in NW in the blog post.

"We’ve been having some challenges with our 400d Halcyon, the mill that produces the fabric has shut down, and we haven’t found a substitute, so we’re not in the position to make new bags in Nightwalk at the moment."

and in the next comment, about 400d in general and Taiga (presumably, depends on how you read it), they said "We have enough left for small batches of bigger bags or larger batches of accessories, and timing will depend on how quickly the items go. It could stretch out until the end of the year or before that. Wished we had better news on the 400d!"
                  The responses from TB can be found in the comments of the 4/27 Pre-Order blog post. I just don't want to take the risk of my fave fabric and preferred color combo disappearing if TB can't find a new supplier.
                  Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

EDC: Side Kick, Everday Cubelet, DL PCSB (planner pouch); Travel: Smart Alec + Side Kick, Small Yeoman Duffel

Comment

Do I sometimes want to buy a bag I'm not sure how much I'd actually use? Only on days that end in "y".

I just remind myself TB bags are too expensive not to be used and I don't need to have a bag for every hypothetical use case.
                    This is really worth remembering as I continue to compile my spreadsheet o' cool backpacks. I'm the kind of person who loves having the right thing for the right occasion, whether computer peripheral, pocketknife, or backpack. But at the same time, I feel like there's an important balance to be struck between the elements of "variety" and "redundancy." On one hand, two packs could be about the same capacity, but have different feature sets that make them best suited for different uses. On the other hand, there's also great value in finding a pack that will actually work well for like 80% of your life's needs. Functionally, my own personal categorical breakdown is: travel packs (backpacks particularly suited for carry-on travel; 30-45L range), duffels (also includes duffel-adjacent stuff like kit bags), light packs (15-20-ish liter packs; the TB Daylight Backpack is probably the easiest reference for this type), and of course, proper backpacks (for me, stuff in the 20-30L range I could use for EDC and flex into a variety of other uses, like maybe hiking or weekend travel). If I were ever to find a superlatively perfect entry in each category, I could perhaps be satisfied owning just one of each category, but...my ADD brain likes the variety of the different use experiences (...and fabrics...and colors...).

Comment

The mill that makes TB's 400d halcyon has shut down and TB is currently searching for a new supplier. Right now, the 400d halcyon TB has on hand is all they have. So the future of 400d halcyon is up in the air, but that's really all I know. There hasn't been any official word that 400d halcyon is being discontinued or retired, but TB is being very judicious with their remaining stock.

Thank you for this information

Comment

That actually means you should just hold out... Because one may come up at some point and then you'd be ready.
                        But if your post was actually a Subtle Request For Enabling, well then... Buy The Bag! 😂
                        Thanks for your help lol! Just tried to buy the LS that I put in my cart last night, but it's already sold. Ah well, kinda sad but really didn't need it. I'll keep an eye out in case another one pops up. But yes, I'm going to wait on the DLBC in the fabric that I actually want. You may remember but I ordered it in Taiga and adore that fabric, but I have my heart set on another.

Originally posted by ittoujuu View Post
                        Do I sometimes want to buy a bag I'm not sure how much I'd actually use? Only on days that end in "y".
                        I'm the kind of person who loves having the right thing for the right occasion, whether computer peripheral, pocketknife, or backpack. But at the same time, I feel like there's an important balance to be struck between the elements of "variety" and "redundancy."
                        Ha thanks for the giggle! And I agree with you regarding variety vs redundancy - good point. However I'm a one-bagger and keep the same EDC for years on end. About the only time I switch to a different bag is for travel, which we rarely do these days with the exception of camping trips. It's fun to learn about different viewpoints on bags. I don't keep a spreadsheet, but I have a bookmarked folder solely for bags and field kits. It's absolutely stuffed with bagging options should the need arise.

Comment

As with yarn, the temptation to "buy the color" is often great. But sometimes I fob that off on an accessories purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by setrombley View Post
                            As with yarn, the temptation to "buy the color" is often great. But sometimes I fob that off on an accessories purchase.
                            If you want to “buy the color” and get a sample of current 1050d Ballistic Nylon/ Halcyon color combinations, the recently restocked
                            Pocket Pouch product page has a great selection of color combos.

Comment

yes. I know perfectly well I do not need a DLBC. but damn if I don't pop one in my cart every time I'm on the site. I'm waiting for one with a happy interior color and either a deep blue, black 400, seapine, or verde exterior.

Comment

Working...
                              X