Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,827   Posts: 191,326   Members: 6,703   Active Members: 266
Welcome to our newest member, zacattac.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road Buddy Pre-Order and updates to Daylight Backpack and Maker's Bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bartleby View Post
    I would also be interested in hearing about the experiences handling a fully loaded RB60 (although I am pretty sure I'll get one anyway).
    I've been doing some air travel lately for longer durations and been using a T45, a Pilot inside of a WF for my under-seat bag and a medium YD for a check bag - that's been working pretty great.

On paper, I'd rather the RB be around 50L, but I'm thinking I'll get a RB 60 and try it as my new checked bag ... but, if I'm forthcoming, I"m only getting it because it's a Verde 1050D bag I don't have

Comment

Can we have some pics of the makers bag with the new rear pocket?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 08.35.08.png
Views:	476
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	339926

Originally posted by bbcamp View Post
        Can we have some pics of the makers bag with the new rear pocket?
        I haven't seen one in person but the first photo on the product page in the carousel of photos shows the back pocket; it's basically like the Cafe Bags... I attached a screen shot

Last edited by G42; 05-15-2022, 08:36 AM.
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post
          I"m only getting it because it's a Verde 1050D bag I don't have
          That does make a lot of sense and the 1050 is just the perfect fabric for the Road Buddies. My only concern with the RB60 is that it might be too heavy when it's fully loaded...

...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
          current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

I’m waiting for cooler colors to come to the makers bag lineup. Was really hoping for a nightwalk/tidal (before the mill woes), constellation/Solaris, or maybe logic blue/sangria (or Solaris) option.

Comment

It sounds like the Daylight backpack will be getting thicker straps? I have owned the Daylight backpack before and liked it because it was so easy to roll up and stash in a suitcase for secondary use. Does anyone know if the thicker straps will make the backpack harder to roll up? Much appreciated....

Comment

Originally posted by winter View Post
                It sounds like the Daylight backpack will be getting thicker straps? I have owned the Daylight backpack before and liked it because it was so easy to roll up and stash in a suitcase for secondary use. Does anyone know if the thicker straps will make the backpack harder to roll up? Much appreciated....
                The DLBP is getting the Contour straps that the Zeitgeist and Paradigm have. They're thicker than the basic webbing straps, but they're not super bulky. I haven't seen the new version of the bag in person, but there's a photo on the product page. It seems like it should still be reasonable to roll or fold. I'm traveling and don't have those packs with me, perhaps someone can show a Zeitgeist rolled up as a point of comparison.
                I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                  perhaps someone can show a Zeitgeist rolled up as a point of comparison.
                  Not sure if you can (or want to) roll up a Zeitgeist with the padded back panel and the internal padded sleeve. The straps themselves look like you could roll or at least fold them.

Comment

Originally posted by dirkhaun View Post

Not sure if you can (or want to) roll up a Zeitgeist with the padded back panel and the internal padded sleeve. The straps themselves look like you could roll or at least fold them.
                    That's a good point. I did pack mine flat when I traveled with it, because it's easier. The padding won't really be hurt by folding or rolling though; it may just 'take a set', ie, get permanent creases/crush lines from folding, which are more aesthetic than functional concerns, but I get that's important to a lot of folks.

Comment

Random comment on the DLBP with Contour straps: they also have the sternum strap, which I really appreciate. I like the feeling of security, as they help keep the straps in place on my shoulders. I usually add the whistle version too.

And further randomness, I'm surprised no one has commented on the colour combos for the TriStars... Really intriguing set to me, too bad the TS doesn't suit my packing style.

Comment

That's a good point. I did pack mine flat when I traveled with it, because it's easier. The padding won't really be hurt by folding or rolling though; it may just 'take a set', ie, get permanent creases/crush lines from folding, which are more aesthetic than functional concerns, but I get that's important to a lot of folks.
                        Same here: I travel a lot with the DLBP packed flat inside my suitcase or larger bag. My feeling is that it needs the least space that way.

Random comment on the DLBP with Contour straps: they also have the sternum strap, which I really appreciate. I like the feeling of security, as they help keep the straps in place on my shoulders. I usually add the whistle version too.
                        The sternum strap is really a great upgrade as the webbing straps tend to slip of my shoulders especially when the DLBP is rather empty and/or when I wear a jacket with a rather smooth surface e.g. a polyester shell. Thus, I only have to decide which of the Halcyons is most appealing (I won't ending up ordering all of them, will I?).
                        ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
                        current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

I'm surprised no one has commented on the colour combos for the TriStars... Really intriguing set to me, too bad the TS doesn't suit my packing style.
                          I just looked, and wish I hadn't. Two combos that I would have gone wild for if they had been offered on the Smart Alec: Coyote/Moab and Black/Fjord.
                          ----
                          All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                          Edmund Burke

Comment

Packhacker.com just put up a timely review of the updated DLBP (available as text or youtube video):

https://packhacker.com/travel-gear/t...ight-backpack/

Comment

Is the RB36 too big for a gym bag? I've always wanted to get a duffle for my husband - either to replace his gym bag, or he can keep using his gym bag and use the duffle as his weekender bag. We do have various Yeomen though which he has never gravitated towards - but I think the shape of the RB might work for him. (I'm not asking him as it would be a surprise for either Father's Day or the holidays.)

Comment

Originally posted by haraya View Post
                                Is the RB36 too big for a gym bag? I've always wanted to get a duffle for my husband - either to replace his gym bag, or he can keep using his gym bag and use the duffle as his weekender bag. We do have various Yeomen though which he has never gravitated towards - but I think the shape of the RB might work for him. (I'm not asking him as it would be a surprise for either Father's Day or the holidays.)
                                It will fit in a gym locker if you stand it on end in the locker. However, if he doesn't need a locker then it would be a great gym bag. The Truck, Truckasana, Small Yeoman, and Old School Carry All are good gym bags that will fit in a locker.

Comment

Working...
                                X