Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,827   Posts: 191,326   Members: 6,703   Active Members: 266
Welcome to our newest member, zacattac.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road Buddy Pre-Order and updates to Daylight Backpack and Maker's Bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Surrealle View Post

Indeed. It's making it really difficult to budget for these or plan my purchases with only 6 days warning and one chance at them.
    Too true

Comment

Thank you!! Now that you mention it, the lockers at his gym are pretty small. I think I used to use a Truck or Pickup Truck when I went there. Probably the Small Yeoman or OSCA would fit. I don't think he would go for the OSCA though. And then there's the question of color! Decisions, decisions...

Originally posted by Shortie View Post

It will fit in a gym locker if you stand it on end in the locker. However, if he doesn't need a locker then it would be a great gym bag. The Truck, Truckasana, Small Yeoman, and Old School Carry All are good gym bags that will fit in a locker.

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby View Post
        Thus, I only have to decide which of the Halcyons is most appealing (I won't ending up ordering all of them, will I?).
        Now you’ve done it… I didn’t want to order anything and then I went and looked at the DLBPs and there’s Original Halcyon as an option! I like the old straps, the only time they are sometimes uncomfortable is in summer wearing sleeveless dresses. But the combination of OG Halcyon and new and possibly more comfortable straps is really tempting…

Comment

Welp, my TB duffle game getting tiiiight!

I've got 2 (verde & coyote) 1050 medium YDs that I use for checked baggage and now my upcoming 60l Verde road buddy which I'm hoping to be my main travel bag (i've got a 3 week Europe trip this fall I'm hoping to use it for!). I also picked up a tidal LTT which is the first thing in / out of any trip I take as it holds all my sundries like wallet/keys/etc and a verde Q-kit which I'll use for some sony ear buds (though I usually use full size HPs but sometimes the combo is needed )

Anyway, I'm pretty excited for this RB - I've wanted one for awhile and it looks great!

If we get the WFs or BBs in 1050 I'm all in on that too TB!! (or DLBP in 1050)

MikeV any chance of doing factory delivery of my Road Buddy in early July? I'll be passing through Seattle and it'd be awesome to pick up my stuff at the muthaship! ​​​​​​​
          Last edited by GrussGott; 05-18-2022, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Ended up with a RB60 in Burnt Orange, my largest TB Bag so far! I also pulled the trigger for an DLBP in Nebulous Grey/Island. Wanted Halcyon first but I already have one in Nordic and the Grey/Island Combo is one of my all time favorites!
            Last edited by bartleby; 05-18-2022, 09:54 AM.
            ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
            current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

I tried the DLBP in the past but didn't like the lack of sternum strap to hold the straps into my shoulders (some of us are slopingly weirdly shaped apparently). I also have a super light weight rollable pack from LLBean that I can use... But the lure of Night Walk is strong, so ordered one to try again. I already know that the Contour straps with sternum work for me, based on the Zeit and Paradigm.

So far I'm resisting the 60L RB and I already have a 36L (using it right now, on a work trip)...
              I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I’ve ordered the Original Halcyon DLBP, keeping my fingers crossed the new straps work for me. If they do I will use that as an opportunity to pare down my collection a bit. I’m giving the RB60 a pass, I think it would be too big and heavy for me to handle comfortably…

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                  I tried the DLBP in the past but didn't like the lack of sternum strap to hold the straps into my shoulders (some of us are slopingly weirdly shaped apparently). I also have a super light weight rollable pack from LLBean that I can use... But the lure of Night Walk is strong, so ordered one to try again. I already know that the Contour straps with sternum work for me, based on the Zeit and Paradigm.

So far I'm resisting the 60L RB and I already have a 36L (using it right now, on a work trip)...
                  I’m a Daylight Backpack fan, and I intended to order this in Nightwalk, but was caught up in the mandatory change password requirement from the forums this morning. It took me so long to sort, and Nightwalk was in high demand, that I ordered in Black Halcyon. I also had problems getting back into the forums (got locked out and ended up resetting password again), so this was kind of painful. Fortunately, there was nothing else that was hard to order that I had to take care of. I did order extra lash straps, but not the Road Buddy itself, some Q-Kits in colors I didn’t already have, and a mini organizer pouch in Red Blend.

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post

I’m a Daylight Backpack fan, and I intended to order this in Nightwalk, but was caught up in the mandatory change password requirement from the forums this morning. It took me so long to sort, and Nightwalk was in high demand, that I ordered in Black Halcyon. I also had problems getting back into the forums (got locked out and ended up resetting password again), so this was kind of painful. Fortunately, there was nothing else that was hard to order that I had to take care of. I did order extra lash straps, but not the Road Buddy itself, some Q-Kits in colors I didn’t already have, and a mini organizer pouch in Red Blend.
                    Oh, no! How frustrating!
                    In addition to a Road Buddy in Verde, I just bought three of the larger-size Q-kits, because I am really fond of the 1050d fabric and of the particular colors offered. I've noticed that the one pouch I have in 1050d has held up perfectly despite daily use, which I actually can not say about 525 ballistic or even Cordura.
                    ----
                    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                    Edmund Burke

Comment

Somehow, despite anticipating it, it took reading new replies in this thread to jog my memory that today was when the pre-order went live, haha.

Ended up going with the Steel/Island RB36 - the Navy and Verde are cool in their own right (and I'm always for cloud ballistic interiors), but steel looks to be a really nice grey, and Island has a particularly pleasing pop as an interior when it's used with grey and black outers. Also, I think I'm going to try to use red/green/blue or red/yellow/blue paracord zipper pulls to add just the right 90s pop of color on the outside.

Went ahead and picked up a mini Q-Kit, too, because it's a good price for a pouch with some depth that's also made of 1050 ballistic. Might be a good place to stow my earbuds, but I'm sure I can put it to use.

Honestly, after reading some impressions here, I was sort of tempted by the idea of a Road Buddy 60...but 60 liters just seems so large to carry for any appreciable distance (especially if you're doing it with a shoulder strap), and it seemed a bit more sensible to split between a backpack/RB36 if more capacity is needed. Perhaps future-me will regret not jumping on this rare opportunity to order it, but I think I'll be happy with the 36 as an all-rounder travel duffel. I had been wanting a Daylight Backpack now that the contour straps have been added, but I'm bumping that purchase to sometime later this year so as to spread out the costs a bit better after pre-ordering the Paramour and now the RB36.
                      Last edited by ittoujuu; 05-18-2022, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post

Oh, no! How frustrating!
                        In addition to a Road Buddy in Verde, I just bought three of the larger-size Q-kits, because I am really fond of the 1050d fabric and of the particular colors offered. I've noticed that the one pouch I have in 1050d has held up perfectly despite daily use, which I actually can not say about 525 ballistic or even Cordura.
                        bchaplin I was just remembering the How Many WHAT Can You Fit in a TB Bag? A Forum Game WEEK ONE threads from 2016.(Just for registered users forum, so not readable w/o a login) where people posted all kinds of pictures of how they could stuff their Tom BIHN accessories and bags in this, and subsequent weeks. (Like the various toys for @Badger’s Corgi, Titus, in the Small Q-Kit).Of course, a Fatty Crab is scarcely a standard measure of volume, compared to, say, 20 pocket knives, but it’s more aesthetically pleasing.)

Just a quick reminder.

moriond

Comment

I wasn't able to get to my computer at 7am PST, so I wasn't surprised the DLBP in Nightwalk was sold out when I checked at lunch. I've never had a DLBP and have been vacillating between it and the L15 for a smaller backpack and decided to buy one in Black Halcyon/NWS today. Not sure if it'll work out for me, but it's been on my wish list since it debuted so I got my fingers crossed that it will.
                          Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

EDC: Side Kick, Everday Cubelet, DL PCSB (planner pouch); Travel: Smart Alec + Side Kick, Small Yeoman Duffel

Comment

Originally posted by Aeon View Post
                            I wasn't able to get to my computer at 7am PST, so I wasn't surprised the DLBP in Nightwalk was sold out when I checked at lunch. I've never had a DLBP and have been vacillating between it and the L15 for a smaller backpack and decided to buy one in Black Halcyon/NWS today. Not sure if it'll work out for me, but it's been on my wish list since it debuted so I got my fingers crossed that it will.
                            Aeon I routinely get asked questions about the smallest accessory or pouch that can hold a variety of Tom BIHN bags such as in this post about carrying the Daylight Backpack and Daylight Briefcase, where I show the Halcyon DLBP rolled into a Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack or a clear 3DOC, or both bags packed into the two sides of a Small Snake Charmer. I also get these about how tightly you can roll an empty Yeoman Duffel. (BTW if you want to carry an empty Mini or Small YD in your DLBP, I would simply flat pack fold either one w wipers open and insert it into the front diagonal pocket.) In any case, I’m sure I’lvl get asked about this in the future, so I need to get a DLBP

DLBP & DLBC in Size 1 TSS and Small Snake Charmer

moriond
                            Last edited by moriond; 05-18-2022, 02:34 PM.

Comment

moriond For me, the hesitation was always if I needed a backpack in that size range since I've never really had a need for a daypack, though there have been times when I've needed a bag larger than the SK and smaller than my SA or S25. Truthfully, I purchased it because Black Halcyon and the halcyon mill closure. I've been around the forums too long to not pick up a bag when I have the means to if there is a chance a bag, fabric, or color combo may retire or take a while to be produced again. I like that the DLBP more versatile than the L15 -- especially for traveling -- and that it has a simpler design than the Luminary since I tend to like less organization and compartments the larger a bag gets. If I use it for traveling, I think I'd just lay it flat in either my SA or small Yeoman (or the T30 I'm eyeing); the less folding or rolling, the better for me.

Also, I really miss Steel Dyneema! I don't have any accessories in it (my A30 and S25 both have Steel lining), but I prefer it a bit more than NWS. I have a sample of Mountain Cerylon and I like that it's darker than NWS, too. I don't need any new accessories to buy anything in Mountain Cerylon, though Zest coming back is going to test my resolve, I'm sure.
                              Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

EDC: Side Kick, Everday Cubelet, DL PCSB (planner pouch); Travel: Smart Alec + Side Kick, Small Yeoman Duffel

Comment

Originally posted by Aeon View Post
                                For me, the hesitation was always if I needed a backpack in that size range since I've never really had a need for a daypack, though there have been times when I've needed a bag larger than the SK and smaller than my SA or S25. Truthfully, I purchased it because Black Halcyon and the halcyon mill closure. I've been around the forums too long to not pick up a bag when I have the means to if there is a chance a bag, fabric, or color combo may retire or take a while to be produced again.
                                This is 100% why I ordered a Nightwalk DLBP today. I already have a Paragon, S25, SN30, and Tristar Packing Cube Backpack. I also have a LGD as my EDC (acronym overload!). Finally, I work from home. I did not need a small backpack in any way. But I desperately wanted a backpack of some sort in Nightwalk, and didn’t know if it would ever return. So I ordered. I will find a use for it somewhere, but it’s the first TB bag I’ve bought without a specific purpose. No regrets.

Comment

Working...
                                X