Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,892   Posts: 192,257   Members: 6,768   Active Members: 333
Welcome to our newest member, TStorm.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paramour - PLEASE LET ME ORDER ONE MORE!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonya
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeV View Post
    Hi all- thanks so much for sharing this feedback here. It's always helpful to hear what's working well, and what could be better. We're reading along and it's sparking conversations on our side. No news to share but we hear you!
    I actually just read the pre-order FAQ for the first time today. After reading it, I'm sorry that it took me so long to do so and should have paid more attention to details long before now. Although I TOTALLY get how disheartening it is to get a bag, love it, and possibly never be able to get it again (especially so soon after purchase), it did make me a lot more understanding regarding the company's side of things. From reading it, it's very obvious that TB is trying to please most yet still keep their own sanity and creative juices intact. I'm in a creative field that also has to produce to survive, so I really admire TB's attempt to straddle that very difficult line.

Leave a comment:

• MikeV
    replied
    Hi all- thanks so much for sharing this feedback here. It's always helpful to hear what's working well, and what could be better. We're reading along and it's sparking conversations on our side. No news to share but we hear you!

Leave a comment:

• Tonya
    replied
    Originally posted by Surrealle View Post

I won't speak for others but for me, it's not the preorder system I have a problem with (in fact, I love it). It's when there's only one chance at a bag other than maybe getting lucky that one was returned later.
    If TB did at least two rounds of preorders for any given bag (or one preorder, one restock, whatever), that would be great.
    Yes, this was exactly my point although apparently I didn't state it very well. I don't like the one shot chance with preorders (unless I get lucky with a return and that's doubtful). For example, I think that I want the RB 60L, but what if it arrives and is much too big? Too bad, and I've missed my chance at a 36L. I know, I know, I can order both and return one. But good grief, this is such a waste in time, money, and fossil fuels. I have to drive 40 minutes just for the closest UPS drop off, plus pay for returns. I'd rather just have one more go at it. And maybe if I like it, grab a few more for Christmas gifts for family members. That's all. Didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Originally posted by epeterson View Post
    With a pre-order, there's time pressure to decide before a known deadline. With regular stocking, there's time pressure to decide before your preferred colors get sold out. Personally I prefer the known deadline to the unknown one
    I hear ya, but with regular stocking, wouldn't a preferred color possibly be restocked? (Assuming that fabric was still available.) With pre-orders, this still happens. A lot. Many have missed out on preordering a preferred color because those sold out immediately, including me. I had a pre-order color disappear while I was checking out.
    Last edited by Tonya; 05-20-2022, 01:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    All good points Surrealle !

Leave a comment:

• Surrealle
    replied
    Originally posted by G42 View Post
    My personal preference is for more of these one time encore productions (with the week pre-order) vs two production runs of each encore and half the designs.
    Is that the choice though? Would adding one more preorder of the encores cut designs in half?

I definitely don't envy the decisions TB has to make, and I'm sure there's many factors involved that aren't apparent to us customers.

I do think there are two different "categories" of customers involved here with very different needs. For the long-time customers, these encores aren't as big of a deal; they had a crack at the bags the first time around, and maybe even own one or six of them. For the newer customers like me, it's potentially the only chance at them we'll have and therefore there's more pressure. (Obviously, we're not disarming bombs here, but we can't pretend there's not a little bit of FOMO that comes with this approach, either.)

The question is, who is likely to order more during these encores -- the long time customers or the new ones? My guess would be the latter. And unless I'm completely off base here, I think the preorders have some advantage in that the demand lines up pretty well with the supply because they know exactly how many to make in advance.

Anyways, I'm probably rambling at this point and at the end of the day, it is what it is. I do appreciate that TB takes its customers sentiments into consideration, more than many companies. I'm just throwing my particular sentiment out there in case a) I'm not the only one and b) there's a possible solution to be had. (Maybe, for instance, two preorders for bags retired more than 5 years ago? Or something along those lines.)
    Last edited by Surrealle; 05-20-2022, 06:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Originally posted by Surrealle View Post
    If TB did at least two rounds of preorders for any given bag (or one preorder, one restock, whatever), that would be great.
    I believe that TB has done at least two batches of all the new designs...

The retired bags from the Design Vault, which were originally produced for years (and retired for a reason), are the ones that are back for the one batch... But some of those bags and fabrics (if you go back in time) have previously had advance warning of discontinuance; encore productions; etc

My personal preference is for more of these one time encore productions (with the week pre-order) vs two production runs of each encore and half the designs.

Inevitably, it's a balance with their available capacity.
    There will (hopefully) always be new people finding TB for the first time, which will probably lead to wanting discontinued designs.... Which hopefully will keep the encores coming.

Leave a comment:

• Surrealle
    replied
    Originally posted by epeterson View Post
    With a pre-order, there's time pressure to decide before a known deadline. With regular stocking, there's time pressure to decide before your preferred colors get sold out. Personally I prefer the known deadline to the unknown one
    I won't speak for others but for me, it's not the preorder system I have a problem with (in fact, I love it). It's when there's only one chance at a bag other than maybe getting lucky that one was returned later.

Last edited by Surrealle; 05-20-2022, 05:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• epeterson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Aeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Tonya View Post
    I think I'm going to have to cave and dish out for the RB though, however I'm seriously stressing that I can't easily exchange it for an alternate color or size if I don't like it once it arrives.
    Most pre-orders do have cancellations and/or returns, so there is a good chance that there will be stock later. The caveat is that quantities may be low and you may not be available when the returns and cancellations are available to order, but I was able to pick up a P.I.K.A. earlier this month this way. I think this is better than the old system when they would put returns and cancellations back into inventory immediately, so you had to stalk individual product pages daily to see if your preferred bag, size, and color combo was available to purchase.

It's not perfect, of course, but TB has always been constrained in how much/what/when to put bags and accessories into production b/c they are such a small company. Add in shipment delays, mill closures, and inevitable repairs for machines and it throws their production schedule into flux.

Leave a comment:

• Surrealle
    replied
    Agreed, I have the same issue. I mentioned this elsewhere but I think there should always be two chances at a bag, at least. (Not necessarily the same colors every time, but I hate the one and dones.)

Leave a comment:

• Tonya
    replied
    Originally posted by moriond View Post

This may be heresy, but I think folks are feeling stressed by the short lead times between announcements of frequently requested returning bags showing up as limited time preorders. There may be some individuals who wanted both the Smart Alec and the Road Buddy (to give an example), who would fell like canceling their Paramour Pre-order on the assumption that it's more likely for that bag to at least have a later production run than the Roadbuddy which was announced as a limited opportunity to pre-order.

moriond
    I feel for Carolina regarding the inability to repurchase a bag that one loves. Speaking of pre-orders, they totally stress me out, and I do NOT like them. I know TB doesn't mean for things to come across this way (or at least I hope not), but it feels like a high pressure sales tactic:
    Buy it now, and you'd better buy several in various sizes, colors, etc, because you might never be able to get it again or even exchange it for a different color, etc.

I keep wanting a few items but bailing during the pre-orders because I just. can't. decide. And it all feels so final.
    I think I'm going to have to cave and dish out for the RB though, however I'm seriously stressing that I can't easily exchange it for an alternate color or size if I don't like it once it arrives.
    Last edited by Tonya; 05-19-2022, 05:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by G42 View Post
    There are always a few extra bags from a pre-order, due to cancellations, returns, etc.

Make sure you're signed up for the newsletter and watch these Forums and the blog for notice of when they'll be available. Sometimes we only get a days notice and rare items may sell out instantly. Black is the most popular TB colour, so high probability that there will be some bags available.

TB also hasn't particularly indicated (to the best of my knowledge) whether the Paramour will be stocked as an ongoing bag or not. IMO it probably will be, or at least get one more batch (not a pre-order) since it seems to solve a problem some folks have with the Paragon. Long term, I doubt both stay in the line up for long, unless both have strong sales.... We'll see which one proves more popular.
    This may be heresy, but I think folks are feeling stressed by the short lead times between announcements of frequently requested returning bags showing up as limited time preorders. There may be some individuals who wanted both the Smart Alec and the Road Buddy (to give an example), who would fell like canceling their Paramour Pre-order on the assumption that it's more likely for that bag to at least have a later production run than the Roadbuddy which was announced as a limited opportunity to pre-order.

moriond

Leave a comment:

• Carolina
    replied
    Thank you. I hope they do start offering the Paramour on a regular basis!!!!

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    There are always a few extra bags from a pre-order, due to cancellations, returns, etc.

Make sure you're signed up for the newsletter and watch these Forums and the blog for notice of when they'll be available. Sometimes we only get a days notice and rare items may sell out instantly. Black is the most popular TB colour, so high probability that there will be some bags available.

TB also hasn't particularly indicated (to the best of my knowledge) whether the Paramour will be stocked as an ongoing bag or not. IMO it probably will be, or at least get one more batch (not a pre-order) since it seems to solve a problem some folks have with the Paragon. Long term, I doubt both stay in the line up for long, unless both have strong sales.... We'll see which one proves more popular.

Leave a comment:

• Carolina
    started a topic Paramour - PLEASE LET ME ORDER ONE MORE!!!!!!!

Paramour - PLEASE LET ME ORDER ONE MORE!!!!!!!

I ordered a Blue Paramour and then left the country for Ecuador for a few weeks.

Now my wife wants that blue Paramour when it arrives and so I want to order a Black Ballistic/Northwest Sky for myself---but it is too late!!!! The May 4 order date is now closed!!!! NO!!!!!!!

Please Mr. Bihn, PLEASE let me order one more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Working...
X