Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,955   Posts: 193,132   Members: 6,830   Active Members: 286
Welcome to our newest member, marcopolo123.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Halcyon Long Term Durability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halcyon Long Term Durability

How does this fabric hold up? I'm thinking of getting a daylight in halcyon for a light weight hiking day bag. Can anyone comment how this fabric holds up over the years? Thanks!

Halcyon is my favorite exterior fabric. It shows less wear than 525 ballistic, it is lighter, and it is very durable. I have no complaints.

Comment

I agree that Halcyon is probably the most durable of the fabrics. My old, old stuff in Halcyon still looks perfect (albeit in some cases a tiny bit faded from years of sunlight), while the 525 and 210 ballistic show light scuffs and scratches, under the same use. I think that Cordura and 1050d ballistic are somewhere in the middle. I'm really talking about aesthetics though -- all of these fabrics should stay intact unless subjected to very rough treatment like scraping along cement or being poked with a sharp metal.

The only other consideration is that larger bags in Halcyon will show the shape of what's inside and so they can look a little 'lumpy' depending on how you pack things. The backpacks I have in that size are mostly 525 ballistic for that reason, and I buy them in black so they don't really show scuffs.

I think both fabrics are nice though. I'm not overly fond of 210, except for lining interiors, where it's fine.
      Last edited by bchaplin; 06-04-2022, 07:30 AM.
      ----
      All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
      Edmund Burke

Comment

Thank you both. I'm sold

Comment

Working...
        X