Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,822   Posts: 191,271   Members: 6,717   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, dougwierzba2.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tote Backpack Excitement and Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tote Backpack Excitement and Speculation

I am so excited for the TB crew to tell us more about the upcoming tote backpack they mentioned in their Summer 2022 updates blog post.

I've previously used a Fjallraven Totepack no. 1 which I gave to a friend because I found digging to the bottom of such a narrow vertical bag annoying, and an Anello 3-way Boston Bag which is a more horizontal east/west layout with a giant Dr's bag opening where I could see everything(but the quality let the whole thing down). I am really hoping for something to replace both of these that has the Tom Bihn organisation and quality, and most important, O-RINGS!

Anyone else a fan of other totepacks they hope this new bag will replace, or indeed certain totepack design components they hope they don't see in the new release? I know as a person in a plus-sized body, I am really hoping they get the backpack strapping right for folks of all sizes as I got rid of a few other totepack style bags because the strapping length, positioning, or general comfort let the whole thing down.

Can't wait for them to tell us more!
    Longing for the return of Forest/Conifer...

I'm concerned that this will be too big for my torso since they have mentioned sizing both up and down. I am hopeful on this item- while I have a ZG and a S19. my packing style is more throw it all in one big area (aka duffle or shop bag).. I prefer tote bags for daily use, but there are times I'd like to be able to temporarily turn it into a backpack. I like the tote packs from Flowfold, but I'd rather wait to see what Tom Bihn comes up with because the quality is better, and the aesthetic often aligns with what I like (and I'm not an xpack fan).
    Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is my Black Halcyon Zeitgeist with a Cobalt Cerylon 3DOC as my "purse"/

Comment

I'm kind of the opposite -- looking for a backpack that I can sometimes carry as a tote. It would be a huge plus if the backpack straps could be hidden for situations where packs aren't allowed.
      ----
      All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
      Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
        I'm kind of the opposite -- looking for a backpack that I can sometimes carry as a tote. It would be a huge plus if the backpack straps could be hidden for situations where packs aren't allowed.
        I came here to post this exactly! Please let the straps be stowable or hidden.

Comment

Right now my EDC is a Zeitgeist. Backup is a Fjallraven Kanken. There are many things I like about the Kanken starting with the the foam sit pad in its own pocket. The pad has been handy for sitting on cold, hard picnic table benches. I like the way the Kanken sits up on it’s own, the rectangular shape and the full length zippers. The backpack straps adjust to lay flat against the back of the bag.
          I use a Freudian Slip for interior organization and that helps.
          I am looking forward to the introduction of the TB tote pack.

Comment

I love the idea of the bags that was linked in the original post! I love the idea of backpacks, but I think I am ridiculously picky. I bought a paradigm early in the summer, but returned it to TB because I felt like it's sizing on me looked...odd. Like I stole a kindergartner's backpack. I also think that I need at least 11 L for every day teacher carry. (The Large Cafe bag is basically the perfect sizing for what I routinely shlep around.) So, for a tote/backpack- I'm looking for something about the size of the LCB; I want it to be comfortable as a tote and as a backpack. I want organization with pockets. I want a dedicated water bottle pocket.
            Current favorites: I dig burnt orange, sangria, and moabthe best. <3

Comment

I've been waiting for more news on this also. I use totes occasionally but only on "town days" or when my EDC is overloaded. I'd prefer a backpack/crossbody convertible, but would settle for shoulder straps. I've looked at several such bags out there, but most are more aesthetically pleasing instead of functional. I want functional above pretty, but thankfully TB thinks of both.

I agree with Jlange that a LCB size would be nice. I really liked the size of the Luminary 12 but didn't need another pack that served no other purpose than a... um, pack. Any larger, and it gets too big for my EDC needs. And although I love organizer pockets, the exterior pockets of the Synapse/Synik add a lot of weight and jangling zippers. Wouldn't mind a decent bit of interior organization though!

I supposed that we'll all just wait to see what's coming forth. I doubt TB is taking requests. It sounds like the bag design is close to announcement and production. I haven't liked too many new TB releases the past couple of years - nothing wrong with them, just none were my thing - so I hope that this one vibes better with me since I could really use a bag like this.

Comment

A sneak peek is up on Instagram. Swoon !
                Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is my Black Halcyon Zeitgeist with a Cobalt Cerylon 3DOC as my "purse"/

Comment

I never understood the need for a backpack/tote combo until my wife and I were visiting friends in Texas this spring.

Upon entering the Dallas Art Museum, they allowed myself in (wearing a Co-Pilot) but told my wife her backpack (a Paradigm) wasn’t allowed and she would have to remove it from her back and carry it in front of her body.

I can’t imagine that little top haul loop was a comfortable way to carry around a fully loaded backpack for a few hours, so I’m curious to see this new backpack tote design - if the straps were long enough to wear it over one shoulder, it would work well.

And I’m actually glad they discontinued the Luminary backpacks - at least in terms of branding them as “museum bags” - after our exchange in Dallas and learning that, no matter how big or small the backpack was, it wouldn’t be allowed into the museum.

But the one feature I wish Tom Bihn would apply to all bags? A dedicated, vertically-oriented water bottle pocket like they have used on the Luminary, Paradigm and Paramour.
                  Last edited by Chicagoan; 07-11-2022, 11:19 AM.
                  Follow me on Instagram!

@ericwiduger

Comment

I’m excited to see more about the tote/backpack design too! The Paradigm has become my EDC but it might be nice to pair it with a tote like bag on days when I am carrying lots of books to work. This summer my family moved to a new place and I can walk to work The tote/backpack might be *just* the thing I need

Comment

Originally posted by sturbridge View Post
                      A sneak peek is up on Instagram. Swoon !
                      Hubba hubba I like those interior pockets that I'm seeing! Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Would someone like to post those photos here, for those of us who think Zuckerberg should be avoided at all cost? :-)

Comment

It's possible to view photos without an account. Just go to http://www.instagram.com/tombihn and you should be able to see the photo gallery. However viewing a post/photo as seen in this screenshot requires an account.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by latchford; 07-12-2022, 08:28 PM.
                          Night Walk Synik 22, Night Walk Daylight Backpack, everything Acuity and Fjord

Comment

The photo has since been posted on Twitter, too: https://twitter.com/tombihn/status/1546570551992401920

Comment

Formal announcement will be made really soon but here's one more sneak peek for you all

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sneak Peek 2.jpg
Views:	1519
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	340883

Comment

Working...
                              X