Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,530   Posts: 187,827   Members: 6,493   Active Members: 292
Welcome to our newest member, dcaisson.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update on Field Journal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog10k View Post
    I will be stopping by Staples to see if this accommodates the FJN: Staples Mini 3-Hole Punch.
    @Jog10k,

Welcome to the forums. This is an old post (2012), but the link appears to still work:
    Originally posted by doornum3 View Post
    I found the perfect 3-hole paper punch for the FJN on the Staples website:

Staples® Mini 3-Hole Punch | Staples®

I've tried it out and it's just right... and the price was right, too. :-)
    HTH

moriond

ETA: That particular model's link currently says that its not sold in stores, but can be ordered on the web.

Leave a comment:

• Jog10k
    replied
    I will be stopping by Staples to see if this accommodates the FJN: Staples Mini 3-Hole Punch.

Leave a comment:

• sleestak3
    replied
    Originally posted by Okami View Post
    Thank you for your comments and I apologize if you thought that I was being overly critical. The opinions are my own and I have modified the post to reflect that I think SOME fountain pen users may be unhappy with the paper.
    Actually I agree with this element of your review. At the same time I recognize that there are limits to what one can do in a product rollout.

I am not a big Cranes user...partly the reason you cite. I also find the paper minus its perforated left edge to look oddly narrow after looking at wider verge de france paper for so long. I also like to write on fronts and backs and don't like bleed-thru. But I think getting stationery that I like and getting it to work for me is an enjoyable part of customizing the process. And someone who isn't as picky as I am won't need to go through all of this.

I also do a lot of work with mechanical pencils and graph paper, and I think this will work for me without such modification.

Leave a comment:

• ratdeau
    replied
    Originally posted by falconea View Post
    What did you do to it?

Audrey
    My solution is to take a A5 binder with plastic cover. I separate the cover part and cut it like the original base plate. I take the binder plate and cut the right outer side like the base plate. I fix the two parts together with two pins & clip and I put everything in place.

Et voilà.

The binder mechanism is thinner than the original one, it le space for my
    planner and do not press to much on the pockets.

Now that I have a base plate I'll do other models, perhaps with a circa binder
    system or an other A5, thicker but keeping the front cover.

Leave a comment:

• Okami
    replied
    Blog Review

Originally posted by renegadeot View Post
    The review linked on the blog is a little weird in how critical it was of the paper options. I haven't spend a lot of time with my Field Journal since I'm in between semesters, but the first thing I did was try my Lamy Safari and Noodlers fountain pens in it and they looked fine to me. I used Noodlers ink and the ruled paper that came with the journal. I can see the writing on the opposite side but it didn't seem that bad. The writer did specify it was just her opinion, but still seemed a bit odd to me ruling out fountain pen users. I also remember when they were testing the papers out in the forums, but the reviewer probably wasn't aware of that.
    Thank you for your comments and I apologize if you thought that I was being overly critical. The opinions are my own and I have modified the post to reflect that I think SOME fountain pen users may be unhappy with the paper.

Leave a comment:

• Okami
    replied
    The review linked on the blog is a little weird in how critical it was of the paper options. I haven't spend a lot of time with my Field Journal since I'm in between semesters, but the first thing I did was try my Lamy Safari and Noodlers fountain pens in it and they looked fine to me. I used Noodlers ink and the ruled paper that came with the journal. I can see the writing on the opposite side but it didn't seem that bad. The writer did specify it was just her opinion, but still seemed a bit odd to me ruling out fountain pen users. I also remember when they were testing the papers out in the forums, but the reviewer probably wasn't aware of that.
    renegadeot - thanks for the comments on my review - I apologize if I sounded overly critical and as if I was speaking for all FP users. I have modified my post to indicate that some FP users might seek alternatives.

Leave a comment:

• renegadeot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• falconea
    replied
    Originally posted by ratdeau View Post
    I got an A5 version... no I'm kidding ;-) but I did a quick customisation an it's now an european FJN.
    What did you do to it?

Audrey

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by ratdeau View Post
    I got an A5 version... no I'm kidding ;-) but I did a quick customisation an it's now an european FJN.
    Could you post pictures?

Leave a comment:

• ratdeau
    replied
    A5 version

Leave a comment:

• Peregrine
    replied
    My FJ got here yesterday - looks great. I'm going to wrap it up soon as a Christmas gift for my brother. I'm sure he'll love it.

Leave a comment:

• JoelSmith
    replied
    Mmmm. Navy.

My field journal arrived today. My initial impression is one that's become familiar when a new Tom Bihn product arrives - anticipation, excitement,delight, then the "of course that's how it should be". The field journal was worth the wait. It's great. I'm looking forward to working with it. Thanks once again!

And it fits nicely in the Synapse along with my MacBook Pro 13" in a Cache.c

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    .A quick way to cut a printout in half without making an ugly jagged stack (and isn't a tabletop guillotine thing) would be nice too.
    :P
    One thing I have learned about paper cutter is not to buy the cheap rotary cutters found in the stationery area of grocery, discount and office products stores.
    I bought one and it catch the paper, making a clean cut line impossible.

In many forums, I have read the complaints of many who D.I.Y their junior journal or planner pages from letter sized paper.

Your post prompted me to check scrapbooking forums and there is not much more luck there either.

I understand your reluctance about guillotines, they are dangerous, (ask the French) but there is not much alternative to cut a stack of paper.

Most single sheet rotary or stylus paper cutters are either ineffective, dangerous (the blade is not protected or is difficult to change or becomes dull quickly.)

Below is a link to Slice cutting products which use ceramic instead of steel to cut through things, including paper.

http://www.sliceproducts.com/catalog/home-office

I read an extensive review that highlight their effectiveness, here.
    http://officesupplygeek.com/office-t...cutting-tools/
    Last edited by backpack; 12-12-2010, 01:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• renegadeot
    replied
    Mine arrived, only had time to load the paper in it, make sure my iphone 4 (in a switcheasy case) fitted in the pocket, it did. I can also say my Kindle 3 in it's leather medge case can barely fit in the outer back pocket, with only a bit sticking out, or it can fit inside the main compartment at least with the initial 100 pages loaded. I hope it doesn't damage the notebook that way though.

I bought an extra leaf since I plan to put some sort of planner in it.

We need to find a decent handheld paper puncher that exclusively fits the correct size of paper. I adjusted my table top version and it's still unwieldy since you have to line it up at the right spot.A quick way to cut a printout in half without making an ugly jagged stack (and isn't a tabletop guillotine thing) would be nice too.

I also don't know how to open it and write standing up using the strap. :P

Leave a comment:

• bunchgrass
    replied
    My FJN arrived Wednesday, so I've had a day or so to set it up. I'm going to really like using it. The locations of the pockets are well thought out. It took me a while to find the one under the pen/pencil holders. OK - my husband found that one. I also like having the O-rings and being able to clip a small organizer pouch into the FJN and also into the outside pocket if I need to. The effort to provide quality paper is also very much appreciated - especially by people like me whose preferred writing utensil is a fountain pen. The FJN is also a good size. It will fit in my Swift along with the knitting projects I take with me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X