Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,814   Posts: 191,170   Members: 6,704   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, chrisdc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long term users - advice sought Synik 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term users - advice sought Synik 30

I was in the market for a Synapse 25 (probably my 7th over the years so I know it well) but a Synik 30 came up used at a good price.

It arrived and I’m just slightly underwhelmed by it. It seems like luggage (which I get it is) but really I just need it as a great work (+occasional flight personal item) bag.

For those with a Synik 30 who have used it as daily EDC or for work, does it work for you in the long term? Or is it overkill for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

I can't really speak to your personal size requirements, but for me personally (I'm an adult male), the s30 feels like exactly the size a backpack _should_ be. I don't feel like I'm carrying luggage around on my back when I walk around with it. I really like the fact that that design kind of "flattens" nicely / pretty naturally without compression straps when it's not full. I've used mine as an EDC for years and don't think twice about it... But, I mean, everyone is different and if you feel like it's going to bug you, maybe something like a Paragon would do the trick? It's a sleek little bag, maybe more along the lines of what you were thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by Perseffect View Post
      I was in the market for a Synapse 25 (probably my 7th over the years so I know it well) but a Synik 30 came up used at a good price.

It arrived and I’m just slightly underwhelmed by it. It seems like luggage (which I get it is) but really I just need it as a great work (+occasional flight personal item) bag.

For those with a Synik 30 who have used it as daily EDC or for work, does it work for you in the long term? Or is it overkill for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.
      I have the 30, am 5’8”, and use it almost daily as my work bag. Also use it when I travel. IMHO I do not believe it is overkill.

Comment

So this is obviously just my opinion, but I find that I do not like clamshell for EDC. I have had the synik 30 and the synapse 25, and even though they are very similar, I would not want to use the synik for EDC. It is a great travel bag, and I am sure a lot of people use it for EDC. I say this because I only recently pin pointed this. I actually figured this out when I tried the evergoods CPL and CHZ series bags. I used to think I should always get the clamshell, but found I loved having the CHZ for EDC and didn't like the CPL much for EDC. No idea if that is something that would apply to you but just throwing it out there.

That said, I also feel the 30 is overkill for EDC. I don't know your carry, but I would rather have the synapse 19 or synik 22 for EDC, although I like having the 25 since I am taller. but even in my 25, I almost never fill it out, I mostly use it to carry stuff for my work back and forth, and the occasional grocery pick up. I keep my synik 30 (for all my 3+ day trips) as my "one bag" for travel, and I had given my synapse 25 to my nephew for school since I thought my synik would replace it. I am now using the CHZ 26 for a mix of EDC (85%) and travel (15% small trips).

Good luck.

Comment

I would prefer to and love to carry the SN22 for EDC. I just didn't think the size works for me, a broad 6'. It looks odd and small and off kilter sitting in the middle of my back. I've ordered a 30 to try out and sincerely hope it works as a work bag. I will not scratch the surface of filling it. I did also have concerns of a fitting a warm jacket in the main compartment of the SN22.

Comment

Well, too small or too big is obviously subjective. I'm 5'11" and, shall we say, "big boned", so I find both the S30 and S22 to be comfortable. So I actually have both the S22 and the S30 for different EDC needs based on the amount of gear I am carrying. On travel, I mostly used the S30 because it can hold my full-sized laptop, tablet, business papers, a couple of magazines, and a range of pens, cables, etc. But for everyday use, the S22 is great because I often don't take the full-sized laptop - just the tablet, and I don't carry as many "just in case" type of cables, dongles, and so on. For me, the key was switching to halcyon after selling my first S30 because I just found the ballistic too heavy. Halcyon makes it easier to overstuff or understuff the bag and it just lays nicely on my back. Hope this helps...

Comment

Welcome to the Forums shepbostin !
              Thanks for sharing that perspective on what you carry
              (I love halcyon too)
              I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

FWIW
                I have been EDC ing an S30 since April 21 after considering and rejecting an S25. The S30 replaced an Eagle Industries 3DAP.

A ton of back and forth to the office. 3 or 4 car trips (2-4 day duration). To date, no issues w the clamshell zippers opening in any way. Moreover, given the built in laptop area, so long as the lap top were in that pocket, even an unintended bag opening would likely not put the laptop in jeopardy.

5 liters more is 5 liters more which is rarely a bad thing so long as it does not size you out of an "area" i.e. overhead bin, locker, under a seat when applicable etc.

YMMV Greatly. Be safe and well.

Comment

I mainly use the S30 GE as my 'mobile office' for just over a year, and it has served me very well. It might be too big to pass as a cabin personal item but is perfectly acceptable as cabin luggage.

The side panel design allows the S30 to expand (and assume a narrower width) and collapse (and assume a wider width) depending on how full the main compartment is.

I usually carry a MBP 14", a Magic Keyboard, an iPad Pro 11" with Magic Keyboard (case), a Stream Deck XL, a HLT2 (as tech pouch), an umbrella, a 1L water bottle, newspapers and magazines, fleece jacket and various other small items (Steripen, inReach Mini, multi-tool etc.). Sometimes 1-3 hardcover books, a change of clothes, a DSLR and/or the Shop Bag will join the ensemble, which makes the S30 properly heavy. Nonetheless, the S30 has enough room and carries very well especially with the padded hip belt - though I seldom use them.

I posted some photos here.
                  Last edited by PeaceBell; 07-29-2022, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Perseffect View Post

Thanks in advance.
                    S30 is definitely not as obnoxiously big as it sometimes looks...doesn't look out of place in a professional environment or unusually big compared to many other people's bags.
                    I DO think an S22 with a bigger laptop compartment might be better for EDC...although I don't have one so just making some assumptions based on what people have said, what size laptops can be carried...14s are swimming in the S30...Seems like it isn't a stretch to make them be able to fit in the S22(or S22ish)

If you're planning to use the S30 for short travel trips (personal or work), it is pretty ideal. Keeps your computer safe and flat..plenty of space for clothes and other stuff...still feels relatively small compared to everyone else's carry on...super comfortable...and I like the fact that it doesn't force a full bag shape on you when it isn't full. Makes it feel smaller as an EDC...

For me it works out exactly what I wanted it for...which is I can use it for work everyday (although I mix it up) and use it for short travel or as my carry on..just a really good size for that.

Comment

So I have been reading these forums and doing some research on the TB site and I'm baffled by one aspect of the S25 vs. S30 debate: the idea that the S30 is soooo big compared to the S25 (I have an S22 and an S30, and the S30 is visibly bigger than the S22). According to the TB site, here are the measurements of the S25 and S30:
                      S25 13.4" (w) x 20" (h) x 9.1" (d)
                      S30 13.4" (w) x 20" (h) x 8.0" - 10.8" (d)

Although I am a fan of the Synik for its dedicated laptop compartment and luggage passthrough (the Synapse now has edgeless straps, so that is no longer a differentiator), I was considering the S25 as a bag for that "Goldilocks" zone - when the S22 is too small, and the S30 is too big, is the S25 just right? So imagine my surprise when I saw the above measurements on the TB site.

Can anyone who has both an S25 and an S30 help shed some light on this for me? Is the S25 truly the same size as an S30? If so, what's with all the debate about the S25 being a more suitable EDC bag because of its size? I'm so confused... ;-)
                      Last edited by shepbostin; 08-01-2022, 08:05 AM.

Comment

I have both a Synapse 25 in black that I bought years ago and a Synik 30 GE in ursa. The Synapse 25 has seen a lot of use, while the Synik 30 is in a closet with the tags still on. IMHO, the Synik is an over-engineered backpack with limitations in what laptops fit in the dedicated laptop compartment and with what rolling luggage the luggage pass-through works. For example, last fall I got a company-issued 15.6in laptop. It simply does not fit in the dedicated laptop compartment of the Synik 30, so the only way is to put it in a sleeve in the main compartment, which defeats the purpose. Similar limitations apply to the Synik 22, which cannot accommodate a 14in laptop in the dedicated laptop compartment. Furthermore, there are minimum length and maximum width limitations for the luggage pass-through, as spelled out in the Synik webpages. Add to this that the Synik 30 is about one pound heavier than the Synapse 25 (or about half a pound heavier without the internal frame). I personally find the Synapse 25 to be a much more versatile backpack than the Synik 22 and the Synik 30. But others, of course, may disagree. Finally, if one needs more space, then the Brain Bag is the way to go, in my view.

Comment

Originally posted by shepbostin View Post
                          Can anyone who has both an S25 and an S30 help shed some light on this for me? Is the S25 truly the same size as an S30? If so, what's with all the debate about the S25 being a more suitable EDC bag because of its size? I'm so confused... ;-)
                          I happen to have both the S30 and S25. Their cross section from the back is more or less the same, but the S30 can be considerably ‘thicker’ as can be seen from the dimension (10.8” vs. 9.1”). Their profile can be quite different too even when empty, because the S30 has a frame sheet and thick padding at the bottom of the bag, whereas the S25 do not. The S30 usually appears much bigger when empty, and it stands up; the S25 loses its shape when it is empty.

A frame sheet with stay helps transfer the load to the hip area effectively when the straps are properly secured. It is convenient that S30 comes with a frame sheet, and it does not eat into the internal space because it sits outside the compartment, unlike the S25. Having said that, this also means the S25 is better when one does not need a frame sheet all the time.

The built in laptop compartment is convenient when the laptop is suitably sized, otherwise it just takes up extra space. The MBP 14 with a leather sleeve sits comfortably inside while the Intel 16” can do so without a sleeve. The S25 may be better if you already have a sleeve to protect your laptop and do not want/need the extra weight and protection of a built-in laptop compartment.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceBell View Post
                            I happen to have both the S30 and S25. Their cross section from the back is more or less the same, but the S30 can be considerably ‘thicker’ as can be seen from the dimension (10.8” vs. 9.1”). Their profile can be quite different too even when empty, because the S30 has a frame sheet and thick padding at the bottom of the bag, whereas the S25 do not. The S30 usually appears much bigger when empty, and it stands up; the S25 loses its shape when it is empty.

A frame sheet with stay helps transfer the load to the hip area effectively when the straps are properly secured. It is convenient that S30 comes with a frame sheet, and it does not eat into the internal space because it sits outside the compartment, unlike the S25. Having said that, this also means the S25 is better when one does not need a frame sheet all the time.

The built in laptop compartment is convenient when the laptop is suitably sized, otherwise it just takes up extra space. The MBP 14 with a leather sleeve sits comfortably inside while the Intel 16” can do so without a sleeve. The S25 may be better if you already have a sleeve to protect your laptop and do not want/need the extra weight and protection of a built-in laptop compartment.
                            Thank you - this is extremely helpful and just what I needed! I often find my S22 a bit too small - particularly with my HP 14" laptop. I may be getting a Microsoft Surface Laptop, which will help. But the S22 is just a little tight. However, the S30 seems big for all the reasons you cite. Since I have a cache for my laptop as well as one that will fit either the Surface Laptop or my large Samsung tablet, it sounds like the S25 may be worth a try for EDC - just a little more space than the S22. I can save the S30 for travel when I need the extra space. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by shepbostin View Post
                              So I have been reading these forums and doing some research on the TB site and I'm baffled by one aspect of the S25 vs. S30 debate: the idea that the S30 is soooo big compared to the S25 (I have an S22 and an S30, and the S30 is visibly bigger than the S22). According to the TB site, here are the measurements of the S25 and S30:
                              S25 13.4" (w) x 20" (h) x 9.1" (d)
                              S30 13.4" (w) x 20" (h) x 8.0" - 10.8" (d)
                              shepbostin I am going to point you to an 08-25-202 post that Darcy made about how they report bag dimensions in the Is the Zeitgeist volume underestimated?? thread. Later on in that thread I posted:
                              The operative part of that explanation was the part about measuring the tallest, thickest and widest dimensions.
                              If the bag being measured were shaped like a rectangular block, then the height, width, and depth in the quoted dimensions would be a reasonable approximation of the dimensions. Because these bags are not rectangular blocks (and the S26 is less blocky in shape than the Synik 30), the dimensions are going to seem overly large. There is a visual image included in @Darcy's post, that shows how the quoted dimensions would apply to measuring a Volkswagon beetle vs an SUV -- basically, for anything shaped more closely to a rectangular cube, the dimensions will appear to be a more accurate.

In summary, your asking for impressions of space usage from owners of the Synapse 25 and Synik 30 is a good way to get your answer.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Working...
                              X