Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,814   Posts: 191,170   Members: 6,704   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, chrisdc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LE PETIT DERRIERE - What's in yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LE PETIT DERRIERE - What's in yours?

LE PETIT DERRIERE

Tell me more about this bag?

Will it fit a kindle?
    Will it fit a 3DS XL?
    Will it fit a Nintendo Switch?
    Will it fit an iPad Mini?

Would a Japan-sized novel fit in here?

I could always look up dimensions and compare, and I probably will, but it's also fun interacting with you all.

I'm curious about this as a mini day bag for jaunts around the big city, but not sure if I need the GRAND DERRIERE instead. Photos of the GRAND make it look a bit too big, but not sure.
    Pilot: Black Ballistic Nylon / Iberian
    Aeronaut: Steel/Ultraviolet
    Stuff: Snake Charmer / Packing Cube Backpack

Originally posted by saikyo View Post
    LE PETIT DERRIERE

Tell me more about this bag?

Will it fit a kindle?
    Will it fit a 3DS XL?
    Will it fit a Nintendo Switch?
    Will it fit an iPad Mini?

Would a Japan-sized novel fit in here?

I could always look up dimensions and compare, and I probably will, but it's also fun interacting with you all.

I'm curious about this as a mini day bag for jaunts around the big city, but not sure if I need the GRAND DERRIERE instead. Photos of the GRAND make it look a bit too big, but not sure.
    Hi @saikyo,

My quick reply to your questions about items on your list that would fit into the LPD is that all of them would fit into the LPD. I think of the LPD as similar in size to the Side Kick (and if you go to the video of the Side Kick on the Tom Bihn product page, you'll see a Japan-sized novel being fit into that bag), but having more depth, so items that don't fit as easily into a Side Kick (my Zojurushi thermos, lunch box, or if I wanted to carry around a pile of thick A5 sized sketch or water color books and artist supplies, or even if I wanted to carry my 11" iPad Pro, that would fit into the Le Petit Derrière, especially in my preferred choice Black Halycon/Solaris.

If you were focused on the Nintendo Switch, I'd say you would be better off looking for a bag designed for the long rectangular shape but not as tall and you don't need the additional depth that I've mentioned can be used for lunchbox, thermos or a stack of sketchbooks or watercolor books.

I'm going to point you to Review of Le Petit Derriere which is a thread started by @bchapman on 01-23-2022 in which I have pictures posted. Note that her actual detailed review with sizes of other Tom Bihn bags appears on an external blog site that she links in the first post. My posts are not a complete review -- they focus on specific usages that work well for the LPD that I don't see as well fulfilled by other bags (e.g., I love and carry the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, but it is designed to be larger and not structurally reinforced, as well as with different dimensions).

I'll mention that like the LGD (Le Grand Derrière) a padded hip belt pocket can be added to the side for externally carrying a thermos (although the product web page currently does not show this option to be available).

I found an external web site review of the LPD that shows pictures with the Nintendo Switch inside (on a site named Pangolins with Packs)

The LPD (and larger LGD) can be worn in 3 different ways. The review site listed just above states:
    In my opinion it’s primarily a waist pack first and a sling bag second.
    But I would probably most frequently carry this on a shoulder strap, the way that I carry my Side Kick. However, in other threads you'll find some comments from people who just dismiss it because they don't use fanny packs. Just please be aware that there are 3 carrying modes. Another comment related to the alternate carry formats: both moderator G42 and I have smaller frames (I'm just under 5'4" with petite build), and both of us find that the alternate carrying modes of wearing this around the waist or slung on the back are more comfortable for us with the LPD than with the larger sized LGD. (I suspect that the waist carry option is even more comfortable because I chose Halcyon). For smaller bag usage cases, I'd find the new Bummer more comfortable (but that bag is too small for the items you carry, and would not fit your switch).

Hope this helps to get you started.

moriond

Comment

Halfway into the year after writing the review moriond linked to, and I still really like the LPD! I agree with her points about the strength of the multiple carry modes. For long-distance walking, it is nice to wear as a fanny pack, but when I go into a store I prefer to carry it as a shoulder bag. Unless you are doing serious hiking, I think the size of the LPD will be perfect.
      ----
      All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
      Edmund Burke

Comment

I feel bad for anyone who reads this thread title without knowing the LPD is a bag 😂
        Last edited by Surrealle; 07-28-2022, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X