Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,891   Posts: 192,255   Members: 6,768   Active Members: 333
Welcome to our newest member, TStorm.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bring Back the Stowaway!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think lifestyles and tastes change over time, too.

My very first bag from Tom Bihn, ever, was a Black Halcyon Side Kick.

I loved the hell out of it and the pliability I appreciated so much also became its downfall because after using it every day for a couple years, the waterproof lining began to crack and come apart.

Cordura was an awesome material back when they made most their bags with it (I was already familiar with the material because I spent a few years of my life working for a manufacturer in the outdoor gear industry) but my wife and I eventually adopted three cats and it collects pet hair so easily (especially on the darker colors where it was most noticeable), I had no other choice but to switch to ballistic.

Luckily, the secondhand market is strong for these bags and it didn’t take long to find them new homes and sell them on eBay.

These days I prefer the 525 ballistic. It’s the best compromise between rigidity/pliability/durability.

And my two favorite colors? Formerly Coyote. Presently Ursa. I like earth tones in general, but the dark brown handles wear in a less visible way while remaining appropriate for a professional environment, when needed.

I also like to go hiking a lot, and there’s no better color to hide dirt than dark brown!

Life happens, and the way you have or choose to live tomorrow might not be the same as it is today. So if you lose, leave or retire from that professional corporate office job, you might be able to trade in those black ballistic bags for some colorful Cordura ones that are more trail-appropriate. Who knows!

And just to keep this thread on topic…

PLEASE BRING BACK THE STOWAWAY!

…thank you.
    I own a LOT of Tom Bihn bags, but here are the ones I use most often:
    Everyday Carry: CP or SK
    Overnight Travel: SN22 and SZTSB
    Car Travel: Medium YD and MT
    Plane Travel: CP and WF

Comment

We have been binge buying halcyon these last two weeks. My Icon and S30 are in Ursa ballistic, but I also just really love black halcyon. I do worry about long-term wear in our new/new to us travel bags though. I have spent hours wondering if I made the correct decision.

Comment

Originally posted by KellsBells View Post
        We have been binge buying halcyon these last two weeks. My Icon and S30 are in Ursa ballistic, but I also just really love black halcyon. I do worry about long-term wear in our new/new to us travel bags though. I have spent hours wondering if I made the correct decision.
        I wouldn’t worry too much. I love that fabric too.

The way I look at it is, if you look at some (especially cottage) hiking backpack companies, they often use similar material… robic 6,6 nylon or similar. I’m sure they’re not quite the same but they’re certainly ballpark for a non-fabric expert. And they’re used for hiking the AT and similar things… a lot more than I do taking them in and out of overhead compartments, putting down on train flooding, things like that. It won’t be as good as ballistic nylon, but you gain extra flexibility, and it’s still plenty tough.

(I could well be talking out my behind here… but from what research I’ve done, I think it’s about right.)

Comment

Good things come to those who…make extremely aggressive offers on eBay.

I ultimately paid over twice what this costs retail (including taxes and shipping), which might sound crazy to some, but for me, it was always the one bag that got away and very much worth the amount of money paid because it spares me from chasing this bag any longer than I already have.

So, here’s my new Black 525/Cloud 210 Stowaway.

It even came with the original shoulder strap and zipper pulls (still in their poly bags!). Shy of the missing hang tag, it’s mint and I couldn’t be any more excited to finally own one again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EB4D65BF-4EDB-4FA3-91B9-04DD24B23D1A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.15 MB ID:	342780

Comment

Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post

It even came with the original shoulder strap and zipper pulls (still in their poly bags!). Shy of the missing hang tag, it’s mint and I couldn’t be any more excited to finally own one again.
            I was wondering if you saw that listed...

pack out photos please!
            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post

I was wondering if you saw that listed...

pack out photos please!
              Ha! Demonstrably, I did.

I think I slapped the “contact seller” button like a Jeopardy buzzer the second I saw that listing. BLAM.

I’ve got a hotel overnight early next month that will be a great test drive for the bag.

And does this mean they don’t have to bring the Stowaway back now?

Absolutely not!

I’d love another in Ursa or Coyote or even Burnt Orange.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post
                Good things come to those who…make extremely aggressive offers on eBay.

Woah! I’m jealous. Congrats!

I’ve been watching the (EU/UK) Facebook and eBay listings like a hawk for months. Really hoping it makes a comeback. 525 ballistic/210 wasabi, please, pretty please!

Comment

Originally posted by chrispoole View Post

Woah! I’m jealous. Congrats!

I’ve been watching the (EU/UK) Facebook and eBay listings like a hawk for months. Really hoping it makes a comeback. 525 ballistic/210 wasabi, please, pretty please!
                  I keep entire phrases as saved searches with both eBay app and email notifications (ex: “Tom Bihn Stowaway” or “Night Flight Travel Duffel”).

But you’re better served opening the app and just clicking on those as saved searches (think of them as bookmarks for your most popular searches) - the automatic notifications sometimes take too much time to be sent and by time you get them, the item has sold.

This Stowaway was actually first listed as an auction without the option to make an offer or buy it now.

I politely messaged the seller asking if they would accept offers (worst they could say was “no”) and they first told me they were going to maintain it as an auction listing since others were interested (meaning they probably had “watchers”) but I countered to say I was prepared to offer X dollars for it and could make payment immediately.

To keep it from becoming a circus, the seller was smart enough NOT to change the item to Buy It Now, and instead allowed offers, so they could review and approve - otherwise someone might have bought the item out from under me if they were just as willing to pay the amount I did.

For some that might be too much information, but if ever you’re trying to negotiate with someone listing an item as auction only, make sure they only change the listing to “accept offers” and NOT a “buy it now.” Whether or not they did it intentionally, I’ll never know, but it was a smart thing they did and kept the item from being sold to someone else since they as they seller still retained control
                  of whose offer they could accept.
                  Last edited by Chicagoan; 09-17-2022, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X