Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,955   Posts: 193,149   Members: 6,831   Active Members: 281
Welcome to our newest member, AndreasClu.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Well Does 1050 Burnt Orange Hold Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Well Does 1050 Burnt Orange Hold Up?

So, I'm considering replacing my black 1050 A45 with the latest model. The new model seems to solve 2 complaints I had when using the A45 - the sticky zippers and the uncomfortable straps. I'm debating between the black 1050 and the burnt orange 1050. Unlike my bags with the lesser ballistic fabrics, my blue 1050 T45 and black 1050 A45 have been bomb proof and show no marks at all. I'm wondering if the burnt orange will do as well. Black is boring but sometimes one does not want to stand out in a crowd. On the other hand, I like like burnt orange, and now that halcyon is not being used for the back panel, the orange bag will also have the more colorful interior.

Of course I could hold out and wait to see if a halcyon version appears in the future, but that seems uncertain. Thanks for you comments.

Originally posted by ayazgood View Post
    ... my blue 1050 T45 and black 1050 A45 have been bomb proof and show no marks at all.
    You answered your own question. 1050d is 1050d; it is the fabric least prone to scuffing or showing marks. I have a 1050d Burnt Orange A30 and Yeoman from 2015-ish, and a Burnt Orange Yeoman from earlier this year and couldn't tell a difference in them, despite the older models being well used.

HTH.

Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

EDC: Side Kick, Everday Cubelet, DL PCSB (planner pouch); Travel: Smart Alec + Side Kick, Small Yeoman Duffel

Comment

I have a 1050 burnt orange Aeronaut 30 I bought a couple years ago; I haven't exactly dragged it around the world thanks to the pandemic and finances, but I've taken several trips with it by car and by plane and it seems to be holding up pretty well, no visible scuffs or damage I've seen.

Sounds like you already know the burnt orange -- I was a bit surprised when I first got it; it's not as bright orange as the pictures on the web seem to indicate, more of a dark rust orange that changes a bit depending on the lighting. Still a beautiful color though.
      ---
      My Bags: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe BagSide Kick Luminary 15Co-Pilot Aeronaut 30
      Canary Large Shop Bag Dawn Large Shop BagAubergine Everyday Cubelet
      With: Island Packing CubesTravel Tray Cubelet Dawn Wallet

Comment

Originally posted by Cooner View Post
        I have a 1050 burnt orange Aeronaut 30 I bought a couple years ago; I haven't exactly dragged it around the world thanks to the pandemic and finances, but I've taken several trips with it by car and by plane and it seems to be holding up pretty well, no visible scuffs or damage I've seen.

Sounds like you already know the burnt orange -- I was a bit surprised when I first got it; it's not as bright orange as the pictures on the web seem to indicate, more of a dark rust orange that changes a bit depending on the lighting. Still a beautiful color though.
        I haven't seen the burnt orange in person, but I understood from prior comments like yours that is is not nearly as bright as it appears in most pictures. To me, that's a good thing, since a lot of the appeal of the aeronauts is the ability to blend in anywhere. On the other hand, I like the idea of a unique, slightly brighter color that will stand out on the luggage carousel when it has to be checked (yes, I've checked the A45 a couple of times). The only other possible drawback is my dislike of NW Sky. However, there's so little halcyon now in the aeronauts that it hardly matters.

Thanks to Aeon and Cooner for confirming the 1050 holds up well no matter the color.

Comment

ayazgood you can ask TB for a free fabric swatch... There are also QKits available if you want to see a bigger piece.
          FWIW Burnt Orange may not be super bright like Zest but it definitely stands out in the sea of black, grey, and dark blue travel bags you usually see on baggage carousels
          “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
          “Sir?”
          “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
          “Sir?”
          “That’s practically zen.”
          -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
            ayazgood you can ask TB for a free fabric swatch... There are also QKits available if you want to see a bigger piece.
            FWIW Burnt Orange may not be super bright like Zest but it definitely stands out in the sea of black, grey, and dark blue travel bags you usually see on baggage carousels
            MikeV - Speaking of blue, what happened to Navy 1050? TB apparently ran out of it. Will they be getting more? Would love the blue/zest combo, but I have no trust in the mark prone lesser ballistics, particularly for larger bags likely to get thrown around a bit.

Comment

MikeV - Speaking of blue, what happened to Navy 1050? TB apparently ran out of it. Will they be getting more? Would love the blue/zest combo, but I have no trust in the mark prone lesser ballistics, particularly for larger bags likely to get thrown around a bit.
              We do still have Navy 1050! We just can't make all the bags, in all the fabrics, all the time

Comment

Originally posted by MikeV View Post

We do still have Navy 1050! We just can't make all the bags, in all the fabrics, all the time
                Thanks for the reassurance! I was just speculating since I didn't see it in other currently available bags. IMHO, there is no good reason to use or buy 525/630 ballistic in aeronauts or techonauts if the same color is available in 1050 ballistic. There is no significant weight advantage like there is for Halcyon, and the small difference in texture (even if someone prefers it) is not worth the trade off of dealing with the marking issues of the lesser ballistics (which I understand to be related to the method or amount of urethane application). I understand from prior threads that the lighter ballistics are easier to work with.

FWIW, Evergoods is now using something like an 830 ballistic that seems durable and not mark, dirt or dust prone. Also uses a more eco friendly solution dye method (if I remember correctly, color is included at the thread manufacturing level). Because of that, it is only currently available in black.

Comment

FWIW, Evergoods is now using something like an 830 ballistic that seems durable and not mark, dirt or dust prone. Also uses a more eco friendly solution dye method (if I remember correctly, color is included at the thread manufacturing level). Because of that, it is only currently available in black.
                  I did take note of Evergoods' new proprietary fabric. In the same way that 525 ballistic was basically half the denier of 1050, Evergoods' 840 ballistic is likewise half of 1680 - though I don't know whether these lighter-weight versions inherit the properties of their heavier forebears (i.e. would 525d be stronger compared to 840 like 1050 is stronger than 1680?). It was interesting because all this time, I'd thought, "A lighter weight ballistic seems like a good all-around material for backpacks - you get durability and good abrasion resistance, and it's easy to clean. So...why is it that TB are the only ones (that I know of) using it?" And somehow, TB manages to get it in a variety of colors, where elsewhere I always hear that it's hard to dye ballistic nylon and that's why you almost always just see it in black.

The only Achilles' heel of the lighter-weight ballistic has been its weird propensity to mark up - I'll be curious to see whether Evergoods' blend starts having that issue as well. Honestly, I'm really hoping TB's transition to the 630d ballistic somehow addresses that problem, but only time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                  X